E.D. Warehouse

eddie

Well it is nice to be the number one topic of conversation again!!

On behalf of ED Warehouse I would like to address some of the issues that have appeared on the forum today. For legal reasons I am unable to comment on some aspects.

We have not gone into this venture without having discussions with Southwark Council. Somewhere in the last 48 hours Southwark Council are seeking to change advice that they have previously given us. Lawyers on behalf of Southwark Council and ED Warehouse are currently reviewing the situation. Because of legal representation I am unable to comment further at this stage. I can assure you that I would not invest a large amount of money into this project without being clear of what was involved.

Planning applications have been refused for the building in the past because of noise and other reasons. It is right to point out that those applications related to a restaurant and club.

Zenoria Street, while being a very attractive area, is not and has never been just a residential street. The warehouse has been there for many years. Additionally 6 Lordship land goes a long way up Zenoria St on the opposite side to the warehouse. There is also a dental surgery on the street.

I do not believe that our development would result in increased traffic. We already have loading bays, and the traders selling small products will not require delivery trucks. As a contrast to Edwards, this has got to be an improvement.

I understand that some residents of Zenoria Street are voicing objections, as they have every right to do. However I would like to point out that we have also had a lot of support from residents as well, and that representations on here may not be reflective.

Many thanks

Eddie

I have to say that I am so surprised this has happened at such a late stage, and truly saddened as I was so looking forward to trading there from this weekend. I am sure that Eddie has done everything by the book, as he would not have taken on such a massive project without crossing the t's and dotting the i's. Eventually, like all large building's, someone would've got hold of it, and I thank God that it was Eddie.

I have always found zenoria street impossible to park in (no doubt a real pain for the residents) and consequently never bother now when I do visit LL. This warehouse is so close to LL that I would imagine most of the trade will be on foot, popping in round the corner from our main thoroughfare. I quite understand the fears of residents, however was rather excited by the idea of a bunch of independent traders. I just hope that the warehouse idea comes thro without too much aggro and we are saved another estate agent, curry house, drinking den.......

I have no sympathy with arguements from car drivers in London - it's like 'oh, there is a problem with traffic and we can't park - it's everyone else's fault, not ours'' But don't you get it - you are part of the problem too!! Ditch the car, walk, help the environment, stop contributing to congestion, pollution, and road deaths. Join a car club if you need a car for occasional journeys. Walk your kids to school. The only legit reason in London to have a car is if you have a serious mobility problem due to a disablity.

The Warehouse seems like a good idea - it's so near Lorship Lane - not in the middle of the houses and it's better than being taken over by developers and turned into an All Bar One!! Or maybe people would prefer more expensive, new build flats??

Scruffy Mummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The only legit reason in London to have a car is

> if you have a serious mobility problem due to a

> disablity.

Nonsense! Why do people always assume that if something fits their lifestyle then it's suitable for everyone?

Dont get me wrong SM, i'm all for the place just want to find out more about the Zenoria St problem. Most, if not all, of my family and friends think it's arrival is nothinig special! Most of the stuff they'll sell will be the same as what's up LL anyway. They just find it, well, boring really:-S

Rolo

Fair enough - new shops shouldn't be a reason to get everyone salivating and I mis-read your "not sharing your enthusiasm" bit as anti. My fault. Soz

Apart from the cheese and the bookstore I'm not sure what else is in there but personally I'm looking forward to checking out the bookstore as an alternative to Chener

Stop playing with my dreams Mark

Between where I work (variously Blackfriars, Lower Thames St and Tower Hill) and where I live there is no-where to buy cds/DVDs.

There used to be an MVC on London Bridge but that's now a Pret. Speci--alist* CD shops exist in Peckham, Walworth Rd etc and "chart" music in Woolies etc but if I want to buy the new (say) Edwyn Collins album I'm stuffed...

*That word again

The issue at hand here is that there has never been a retail outlet on Zenoria Street.Yes we are close to Lordship Lane.All the more reason to try to hang onto the residential character of our street.The warehouse building has only ever been used for storage connected to the retail outlet on Lordship Lane. Yes, there is a Dental Technician working in Zenoria Street but they do not engage in any retail activity - members of the public are not drawn into the street by this business. If Ed Warehouse want to run a retail outlet in Zenoria Street then they need planning permission for change of use. Ed Warehouse advertising promises 'a unique shopping experience' in their proposed 'indoor market.' 'Ultraconsultancy', active on this site suggests Ed Warehouse will be 'Open 7 days. Certainly weekdays plus Saturday.' Do you support retail outlets opening where they choose with no regard for residents or planning laws? Whatever they are selling?

Residents Zenoria St

I do understand some of your concerns but in answer to your question, I would say "it depends" on what the outlet was

If I lived on the LL end part of Zenoria St I personally (and honestly) wouldn't object to this particular operation

In fact if the book and cd stalls alone are half decent I might offer a house-swap (The back streets of the Upper Eastside is unlikely to suffer unplanned retail outlet openings any time soon)

I didn't even mind the sound of the restaurant when it was going through planning

But if it was something like Foxtons (with all of that bright light glaring 24/7) the I would be against it

From Eddie's response yesterday it doesn't sound like he is riding rough-shod over any existing laws but has sought proper advice from the relevant authorities

I think this is offering something different to the area

Am I right in thinking that to get to the ED Warehouse from Lordship Lane you don't walk past any residential properties? I know that's not main point but it's a point.

Also a letter was hand posted to the all the residents of the street by a concerned fellow resident, would anyone care to tell us what it said? I have a feeling it didn't say let's welcome this new local establishment with open arms.

I do feel for the residents a bit here. They're basically getting no support because everyone is so excited about this new warehouse (me included I must admit). Just can't help thinking things would be different if it was something like... say... Foxtons.