April 29th - Where will you be?

Marmora Man

There's three main cornerstones to commercial success: profile, perception and revenue. The best returns are when all three of these are contributing as a single unit.

A wedding like this one, that fills televisions across the world, massively increases the profile of 'Brand Britain' whilst dominating coverage with positive messages.

The advertising value of this coverage is trillions. You just couldn't buy it.

When 2/3 of the job is done for you, it makes converting revenue so much the easier.

Put it another way, when was the last time that your telly had a month sepcial how great Lithuania was?

I'm not sure you read what I was saying - I no longer live in ED, I live in Singapore and work with clients in media internationally.

The coverage of the royal wedding is possibly heavier outside the UK than it is in the UK.

Whatever cynicism you may have about the Royal Family as a Briton, it's not reflected in the sense of glamour, sophistication and culture that they project overseas.

I think Fergie is a rather witless Hooray Henry. The US think she's a princess; I think Prince Andrew is a drunken prat but the Saudis like to buy warplanes from Princes.

The wedding raises the profile and positive perceptions of the UK. It makes overseas customers more inclined to work with UK companies, buy UK products, invest in UK industry and visit the UK.

The revenue is generated by the increased UK-related transactions made by overseas individuals and companies.

Alan Medic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But what are these positive messages? What will be

> producing the revenue? If this thread is anything

> to go by, most people want to avoid the dreaded

> wedding.

Not me! looking forward to it.... flags at the ready!!

"Is there any evidence for this?"

There's an old quote popular in advertising circles that goes "50% of my advertising expenditure doesn't work, the problem is that I don't know which 50%"

Unless you have a very specific direct response advertising campaign (e.g. 'call now for a 50% discount') it's virtually impossible to discuss the impact of a particular advert

People's buying decisions are tied up with the very complex relationship they have with a brand. The brand itself is a series of emotional associations that are built up by an entire lifetime of encounters with a product. This includes the product itself, it's advertising and packaging, it's reputation and so on.

For British companies exporting overseas that relationship is built not only upon their own activities, but also on their customers' perceptions of what a 'British' company is.

Most of us do it all the time - for example the idea that German is ruthlessly efficient, or the Japanese products are technically advanced, or that Chinese products are cheap tat.

The Royal Wedding is a massive contribution to Brand Britain. It's dominating overseas scheduling with extremely positive messages about Britain.

There is certainly a large proportion of people who falsely believe that 'advertising doesn't affect me'. If they want to insist, in this light, that the wedding does not contribute to overseas perception of Britain and consequently commercial success of British companies then there's not much I can say to persuade them.

They are however, simply wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

yup - Social media is full of bah-humbug contrived, gesturing, it's below me, quasi-republicans...

YES< YES YES we get it you're are cool, it's below you etc, now STF up and let most people enjoy a bit of fun and pageantry on a day off

The decent republicans have either kept quite or gone abroad the banging drum spoiling it for everyone else posturers are hovering about all over the internet.....