> whatever they were called), but I don't recall any

> God bothering, perhaps I've blocked out the

> trauma.

>

> My neckerchief was a lovely claret colour and I

> had a green woggle. I should have been made a

> sixer but some new kid joined who was a month

> older than me and instantly got the promotion that

> should have been mine... MINE I TELL YOU!!!!

> That's when I learned that life ain't fair and

> there's definitely no God, a useful lesson for a 9

> year old which has never been forgotten.

I share your trauma. I was a Seconder for ages and when I was passed over to be a Sixer (again!) my mum enquired politely as to why this was. Turned out they had my DOB entered incorrectly in their records and thought I was younger than I was. Did they put things right when they realised their mistake? Did they f**k?

Oh well, at least I learnt how to fold a Union Jack flag correctly, sing 'Ging Gang Gooly' and since our pack leader was a very sexy lady called Frances, she inspired some of my earliest and fondest fantasies of her adjusting my woggle intimately.

Btw, I still daily promise to myself in the mirror to do my best, do my duty to God and to the Queen, do a good deed every day and keep the cub scout law! Omigod, that is scary. Was it Socrates who said "Give me the boy and I will give you the man"?

Oh yeah, "God and to the Queen" yeah you're right. I guess I never really thought too deeply over that bit as I don't recall God letting me know what he expected of me.

Our Akela was really quite scary, but we had a lovely Baloo of whom I have similar memories to yours domitianus.

I suspect I was passed over because Akela didn't like the cut of my jib. I've consistently been told by authority figures that I'll never live up to my potential, whatever the hell that means. My ambition didn't stretch much beyond completing Jet Set Willy, which I duly did, so I've no idea what they were harping on about frankly.

Jet Set Willy, playable version (don't worry SFW)...

http://www.mjwilson.demon.co.uk/jsw.html

"Give me the boy and I will give you the man" and they say the church isn't based on indoctrination huh?

Mind you, so was teh scouts.

Did anyone see Ian Hislop's docu about Baden-Powell and the scouting movement? It was surprisingly interesting.

He initially envisioned scouting as a way to prepare a supposedly sickly urban generation for the disciplines and riguors of war, having been a very successful soldier himself (yeah, I know where, sorry Brendan).

But on witnessing the horrors of the trenches he became very much the pacifist and rejinked the whole emphasis of the movement to promote communication and understanding across national lines to promote peace.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

(yeah, I know

> where, sorry Brendan).

Yeah sorry I went off on one a bit yesterday MP. It wasn?t directed at anyone. Just unthinkingly venting. I seem to be doing it a lot lately but you will be pleased to know I had a cigarette last night and I feel like a new man! :))

I was never a scout, I went to a Boys Brigade in Peckham where we played lots of footy and gymnastics, as well as a bit of marching and bugal playing. I seem to remember we were occasionally expected to turn up to Sunday parade at church. In those days I was taken to church every weel though, so was nothing unusual.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jet Set Willy, playable version (don't worry

> SFW)...

> http://www.mjwilson.demon.co.uk/jsw.html

>

> "Give me the boy and I will give you the man" and

> they say the church isn't based on indoctrination

> huh?

> Mind you, so was teh scouts.

>

> Did anyone see Ian Hislop's docu about

> Baden-Powell and the scouting movement? It was

> surprisingly interesting.

> He initially envisioned scouting as a way to

> prepare a supposedly sickly urban generation for

> the disciplines and riguors of war, having been a

> very successful soldier himself (yeah, I know

> where, sorry Brendan).

> But on witnessing the horrors of the trenches he

> became very much the pacifist and rejinked the

> whole emphasis of the movement to promote

> communication and understanding across national

> lines to promote peace.

World War One had a way of making people re-think things. I believe that Rudyard Kipling, the great poet of Empire, lost his son in the trenches and radically reviewed his view on the glory of war. Lines he subsequently wrote were along the lines of:

"If they ask us why we died,

tell them that our father's lied."

First create a video diary of the nuisance involved.

There is more than just caterwailing involved. Theres the nuisance of blocked pavements and stupid parking.

Record it so that you have proof of the nuisance not your word against theirs.

Thereafter different routes such as the council, freeholders of the premises and the local rags.

Have fun.

Paul

> Anyone know how I would go about silencing these people? Is it a matter for the council?

As I wrote round about the time the children joined this thread...

It would appear that the church needs a premises licence under the 2003 licensing provisions (I also provided the URL).

Macro you should first call the noise team when it gets bad and file a complaint. It is the easiest way, assuming they are violating noise laws. I think Sunday morning, the earlier the better, is your best hope to get them out.

Let's not evade the race issue here. These are African churches everyone is talking about. I say this because, as I noted earlier, it is a very sensitive topic with the Council right now. You may find it difficult to get action.

It always amuses me how the most liberal can't quite bring themselves to admit they are complaining about a race-based issue. All who are upset should be upfront: black churches are too loud.

Can you generalise like that? Not all 'black churches' are too loud and some 'white churches' are loud. So maybe it is not a race based issue at all, it is just an issue about one church that is being loud. Do they leave the doors open? Perhaps a polite request that doors are closed would help. Is there amplified music? That would be an issue for the council noise abatement bunch.

Wouldn't mind a bit of Gregorian chanting of a Sunday myself.

It's nothing to do with race. The colour of the people causing the nuisance to me and my family is incidental to the noise they create. It could equally be coming from a car stereo, from a neighbour with a drumkit or from any one of a thousand other sources. The mere fact that it is coming from a church, and the congregation happen to be black, is neither here nor there.

Fact: lots of people across the region have lots of problems with loud and anti-social (parking, litter, etc) churches

Fact: all those churches are african congregations. Not some, all.

Fact: they council can't cope. What to do? Crack down?

Fact: if they do, it will be considered discrimination because (see fact 2) all of them are african.

So I would suggest it is both here and there. You have a similar problem to many: african churches are loud and anti-social.

It won't sit well for conflicted liberal types to admit such, so they'll construe arguments that make it appear otherwise. But thems the facts.