Weekend nightime demographics/behaviour in ED (Lounged)

SeanMacGabhann

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sheffield is home to the 22nd and 87th best

> universities in the country. No wonder so many

> forumites studied there.

No-one picks a University destination based on the results its students attain. Didn't anyone tell you that?

Can you have a townie in a city?

Seems to buck the definition somewhat.

As your average student comes from a townie environment they're probably only to pleased to be in somewhere like Sheffield, and rightly upset to be beaten up by locals who I seriously doubt needed any provocation to hit the speccie tw@t in the first place.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Alan Dale Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Sheffield is home to the 22nd and 87th best

> > universities in the country. No wonder so many

> > forumites studied there.

>

> No-one picks a University destination based on the

> results its students attain. Didn't anyone tell

> you that?

I'm sure you rejected Cambridge because you had a life long ambition to study in Sheffield so you could go and see Wednesday and get the train out to Cleethorpes on bank holidays.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Sean.. at least let Alan finish telling us how

> well 'ee can 'aandle 'imself (yawn)

Sounds like Lordship Lane is becoming the sort of place where you need to be able to handle yourself.

'I rejected Oxford/Cambridge' yeah *Bob* - me too. I barely gave Harvard a second glance either...

I have to agree with James about Blackheath, I was there a couple of weeks ago for a friend's leaving do, drinking at "zero degrees" or something tossy like that. It's a little micro brewry which is col, but very trendy. Aaaanyway, it was absolutely full of Estate Agent types, I was quite surprised. I went out for a ciggie, and stood there listening to these 2 fellas trying to chat up some girl. It was absolute comedy gold, it was all I could do to stop myself begging them to stop for their own sakes.

Anyway, the *bob* quote has pretty much nailed it I think.

Alan Dale Wrote:

> Nice one *Bob*, sailed through the interview, got

> your offer, 4 As then off to...

>

> Sheffield. Whoops.

As explained, I had no interest in Oxford or Cambridge as I went for a scout and it seemed dull as dishwater. I also checked who'd applied from my school which confirmed what I already knew. And I might have had to actually work hard there.. and I'm a terrible slacker, as you know.

The rest of your post is spot-on though.

I like the bit where you looked to see who from your school has applied. Ha ha!

No interest in the esteemed list of graduates who dominate the city, the media and politics but that spotty kid who's doing further maths wants to go there. Brilliant.

Surely you can laugh about it now? At least make sure your kids get better advice eh? Don't be so proud as to martyr your kids...

*Bob* Wrote:

> The thing is, Alan, I had no interest in

> 'dominating the city, the media and politics' -

> being happy seemed more important.

>

> But then each to their own.

You should have gone for a labotomy then. Any fool can be happy.

Back on topic: I was in Sainsburys a few weeks back and a group of ten mid teens (15-17) were wondering around the shop trying to lay their hands on alcohol and all sorts. To be honest they all seemed half stoned. From their attire and speech they were well to do but they were very loutish. something about them seemed to suggest they were that bit more important than the next person. Needless to say the security guards had their hands full.

So yes I have seen a change but like this morning's BBC Breakfast programme kept on banging on about we're in the middle of an alcohol binge bubble. They repeated it so many times today and said that someone who drinks one glass of wine a day is as bad as a binge drinker that I am now abstaining until I go to a beer festival this Saturday.

Usually *Bob*.

I was happy working in Sainsbury's bakery and copping off with the girls off check-outs. I wouldn't have left if my parents hadn't encouraged/forced me.

As I say happiness as an end in itself is a pretty low aim.

Whilst I can empathise with your 'aim low - you'll never be disappointed' outlook it's certainly not one that I would advocate.