Weekend nightime demographics/behaviour in ED (Lounged)

SeanMacGabhann

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'd forgotten how bad it was were I grew up, and

> think the random violence I've seen in London, is

> no where near as bad as up north.

I don't know, I lived in The Pool for 5 years from 96 - 01, and never had any problems whatsoever. There were plenty of scallies around, but never really saw too much to worry me. Did see one kid get the sh!t kicked out of him by a local hard git, because he'd stupidly gotten caught throwing a brick through his window!

The only major trouble up there at that time was about 1999-2000 when there were a series of shootings in bars over a few weeks, but with the exception of one poor girl who was cught in the cross fire, it was all drug gang related, not random.

Maybe it was me being naive, but having grown up going out in Peckham, New Cross and Brixton, I always felt really comfortable walking the streets of Liverpool.

Having said all that, I did see the best major fight in my local, involving some dodgy pikeys in town for the Liverpool show in Wavertree. One of them slapped the landlady for some bizarre reason, and it all kicked off in a huge way... It was great :)-D

"According to that article Lewisham is either tea-toller central or a refuge for pacifists."

I've felt threatened in Lewisham when I've been there during the day, and always assumed that would be what it's like at night. However, maybe the presence of that huge police station where the department store used to be makes a difference.

"I love Chav's clever way of describing anti-social behaviour of the working classes at its very worst - then blaming it all on the middle classes and excusing those who misbehave."

But where did she do those things? And is this a Daily Mail reader's critique?

It's a myth that all violence is committed by the 'working classes' and that the middle classes don't engage in violence or other anti-social behaviour. However it is a fact that people use the term 'working classes' when they actually mean something else, usually involving those that don't work.

What she said was:

"I think divided societies, marginalisation and not enough positive outlets for adrenaline junkies combined with a dog eat dog world all contribute to this phenomenon."

And this can have an effect on every strata of society, particularly if there are no positive outlets and there is a dog eat dog mentality - which is what we've had for nearly 30 years.

I did do a double take when I read that Lewisham was one of the lowest in terms of drink & violence because when I leave work in the evening and have to travel through Lewisham from my eyrie in Canary wharf, I hear a non-stop barrage of police sirens. Must be something going on. Oh! and violence and drunken oafishness is classless.

Similar story in The Observer yesterday. I was shocked, because I always think of Lewisham Hospital as being full of drunks. This is going back anout 11 or 12 years, but a friend of mine was in there for an operation. Everytime we went to visit him there was shouting and screaming, and police in the A&E.

Again thouh, I've never had a problem around there. There is more than enough violence in London, but I think you'll find the majority of it has nothing to do with drink. Teenage gangs fighting each other and mugging strangers probably accounts for most of it!

No Chav. I'm more than happy to have funded your education, children and now subsidise your home and daily live, which allows you to sit and post here with brilliant insight all the day long.

See? I can live in others shoes with a bit of empathy. If I were horrible, I'd demand you visit the job centre every once in a blue moon or actually train as a lawyer.

I was driving along Bellenden Road last night and there was a gang of young people, male guys with prince Harry oversized fructus haircuts and girls all semi-Winehouse. They were smoking fags, looked well up for some naughty, think extras from Skins. For a second it occured to me that SE London, hell hole that it's purported to be, may actually be a destination for kids who want to rough them self up little.

As for the changing face of a night out on Lordship Lane I am blinkered. I grew up in Stevenage so everyday I wake up happy that I'm not there. Nothing else matters.

ap

Maurice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No Chav. I'm more than happy to have funded your

> education, children and now subsidise your home

> and daily live, which allows you to sit and post

> here with brilliant insight all the day long.

>

> See? I can live in others shoes with a bit of

> empathy. If I were horrible, I'd demand you visit

> the job centre every once in a blue moon or

> actually train as a lawyer.

You dont' need to hassle her Mo - she's on the case:

'I've had a nice restful summer, so have started applying for immigration caseworker vacancies. My CV is looking good, I've got the qualifications I need and the experience, so I will just have to keep on trying till I get the job I want - or wait a month or two and apply for a job in Iceland!'

Maybe Lordship Lane is a bit towny and maybe British drinking culture can be a bit anti-social at the fringes but there is nowhere else in Europe that guarantees such a wild night out. Give me a night out in a Yates's or a Walkabout full of townies over a quiet family stroll with ice creams and trinket stalls any day.