Weekend nightime demographics/behaviour in ED (Lounged)

SeanMacGabhann

I walk or bike down Lordship Lane on Saturday evenings after work sometimes and on the surface it has a buzzy atmosphere. No violent thuggy looking gangs, and just everyone outside the expensive eateries and pubs. They're outside because they can't smoke inside. They all sound like the soundtrack of the advert Joanna Lumley does for that insurance company "...or maybe half of Yorkshire..." Then I ride down Peckham and it's a different class of people on different incomes having their fun but the noise is from the cars. But it's very different atmosphere. Deliberately so too. I may not be in danger but I am not welcome. So I go home for a cup of tea and a sherry and watch Casualty.

Blackheath is a case in point, all prim and twee during the day but Friday & Saturday nights are a beer-soaked chav fest as all the Kent pikeys turn up "cos it's classy." It's becoming the Epping Forest of South East London.

I too have noticed the bridge & tunnel set coming into East Dulwich of a night. How do we keep them out? Cattle grids (trapping the stilettos)?

I was driving along Bellenden Road last night and there was a gang of young people, male guys with prince Harry oversized fructus haircuts and girls all semi-Winehouse. They were smoking fags, looked well up for some naughty, think extras from Skins. For a second it occured to me that SE London, hell hole that it's purported to be, may actually be a destination for kids who want to rough them self up little.

Blackheath is a case in point, all prim and twee during the day but Friday & Saturday nights are a beer-soaked chav fest as all the Kent pikeys turn up "cos it's classy." It's becoming the Epping Forest of South East London.

I too have noticed the bridge & tunnel set coming into East Dulwich of a night. How do we keep them out? Cattle grids (trapping the stilettos)?

So, let get this right, the people we dislike are either poshos who aren't local enough or haven't lived here long enough to deserve the right to spend their money where they please OR they are gutter snipe scum who should be viewed with utter suspicion and blockades established to keep them from arriving at a decent destination for a night out?

What age-range/demographic/socio-economic indicators are acceptable? Should I speak as with a home counties, public school, university educated accent or an estuary-English working class accent to try and fit and be made to feel welcome as I invest my wages into local businesses on a Saturday night?

> So, let get this right, the people we dislike are

> either poshos who aren't local enough or haven't

> lived here long enough to deserve the right to

> spend their money where they please OR they are

> gutter snipe scum who should be viewed with utter

> suspicion and blockades established to keep them

> from arriving at a decent destination for a night

> out?

>

> What age-range/demographic/socio-economic

> indicators are acceptable? Should I speak as with

> a home counties, public school, university

> educated accent or an estuary-English working

> class accent to try and fit and be made to feel

> welcome as I invest my wages into local businesses

> on a Saturday night?

haha well put - I think we're getting to the root of Sean's original question now ("why can't people in Britain have a drink without behaving as appalingly as they often do?"). We all hate each other and ourselves.

A good friend of mine who works with the Police Services once told me far from being homophobic, the services adore the gay and lesbian community. That's because they tend to 'party' inside, take drugs/drink that make them loved up instead of anti-social, and don't look for trouble. He added the new GBH phenomenon requiring ambulances is changing that, to be fair.

It makes one wonder what the situation is in Vauxhall of a weekend evening. It has certainly 'come up' (no pun intended). Is there a similar clash to LL and Blackheath?

"I grew up in Stevenage so everyday I wake up happy that I'm not there." Ditto ap.

I went out in Stevenage about 18 months ago, I have a brother there and he was babysitting our little one so that we could have a night out. We went to the new "entertainments" park full of Cinemas, Nandos type eateries, chain-link pubs

and a couple of cheesy looking nightclubs. It's a royal hell-hole. They have a cop van parked on-site. Say no more.

You could applaud the town's council for setting up such a place, away from the town centre and easy to police...or you could decry the fact they felt they needed to make a pisshead's enclave.

Ah, the beauty that is Roaring Meg.

Probably why I equate Stevenage with Croydon alot, both places combine entertainment areas with shopping areas with the result that you have to step over puddles of blood when trying to get a new lampshade.

ED is still and I suspect will ever remain a paradise compared to either of those.

There something about towny attitude which is so much worse than your cities', it's generally less extreme yet somehow omnipresent.

I think now would be a good time to re-acquaint ourselves with the definitive text on the matter of class and behaviour

Author: *Bob*

Published: 2007 (EDF Press)

"Let's not beat around the bush. A cock is a cock. And there are cocks in every demographic of society.

Middle class cocks are stand-offish, drive look-at-me cars, have nothing to talk about except their work and possessions and and are snobby and smug.

Working class cocks take delight in being aggressive and threatening, don't care about the area they live in, act unsociably and selfishly within a shared environment and start fights because someone looked at them in a funny way.

There are more middle class cocks in ED now, and less working class cocks. But the cock percentage is roughly the same."

I've been quoted! I'm so proud.. I'm welling-up!

The 'townie' thing always amused me as a student (living in Sheffield).

"Why do the Townies hate us so?", wailed the bespectacled undergrad with a black eye?

Well, perhaps not calling them 'townies' would be a start. You're the guest here, you idiot. It's their home.

> Well, perhaps not calling them 'townies' would be

> a start. You're the guest here, you idiot. It's

> their home.

I grew up in a market town in the Midlands, where 'townies' would beat up anyone who looked a bit different - ie not dressed in an adidas tracksuit and a gold chain. Because that meant you were gay. Or something.