SNUB funding we got it

monica

SNUB have dealt with the distribution company accordingly, we welcome suggestions all the time, however the coupon distribution seemed the easier and more direct option, the company who were hired deal with issues that have been bought up on this thread, however unfortunately it has not gone 100% smoothly.

To confirm what we have been saying since the distribution began, please go along to one of the stores who are distributing the bags and ask for them, even if you have not received a voucher, this applies to se22 residents.

Most of the stores have been alerted to this and should oblige with the bags, if they insist on the coupon, say that snub have said its ok.

No vouchers ever distributed to our road in SE22 either. As mentioned before, those at Glasto will have been away around 29/30th, and I'm now away in Frankfurt on work. I imagine the bags will have run out by the time I get back, as they seem to be in no way restricted to those living in SE22. Which I thought was the purpose of the exercise??

I thought the purpose of the exercise was to draw attention to the environmental issues re plastic bags (in which case it's been a cracking success!) rather than ensure everyone with a particular postcode gets a free bag ...

I think that the issue was that having loudly broadcast that everybody in the defined area would get a voucher to get a bag it would seem that a significant number of us didnt.

Its a matter of whether the funding was efficiently used for the target group for which it was intended. People clearly want one of them (great) and were promised one of them (great) but now there is a concern that we wont now be able to access them (not great) and this doesnt do alot for the cause.

Debi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought the purpose of the exercise was to draw

> attention to the environmental issues re plastic

> bags (in which case it's been a cracking success!)

> rather than ensure everyone with a particular

> postcode gets a free bag ...

Was the funding awarded to 'draw attention' generally (regardless of community/geographical area)?

ok the story of SNUB was to increase awareness of the plastic bag issue, in the case of SNUB east dulwich we wanted to try and encourage people to reuse bags and take bags to the shops with them instead of using more plastic bags, Then followed the application to the greener, cleaner, safer initiative. The money was to finance the purchase of hessian and cotton bags to provide to the east dulwich residents, the money was awarded by the dulwich community council, east dulwich ward, college ward and dulwich village ward, were the 3 wards who gave us the money. East Dulwich gave us the most substantial amount. Dulwich village and college ward provided enough funds to supply bags in the se22 postcode of these wards.

The amount of money we received had to cover households within the dulwich community ward, because they gave us the money.

There are roughly 10.000 households in se22 generally and we would of loved to have provided bags to each and every household, unfortuntely we could not and that is how the decision was made of the allocation of bags.

We did not have enough money for vouchers, advertising, so we decided to organise the wintergreen fair, soley on sponsorship money, the money raised from the fair would then help with other expenses, ie vouchers and distribution.

Unfortunately we did not raise that much from the fair, marilyn and myself organised this fair over 6 months,we received nothing but critisism and a few positive comments.

The point was to raise awareness in ED and we have done that with the help of the dulwich community council, volunteers and SNUB. We have been asked by other neighbourhoods and wards to help them, do the same thing and raise awareness of the bigger picture, our little planet needs to clean itself up, it may only be a drop in the ocean to most people, but we are proud of what we have achieved. Remember the idea of the bag was born on the EDF, we took it, watered it, and watch it grow.

Monica - I think the enormous amount of work and commitment this took should be loudly applauded. It's sad that some people seem to have lost sight of the bigger picture but I hope it doesn't grind you down knowing there are those who don't understand the concept of altruism.

It's all too easy to snipe and criticise. Far harder to got off our butts and actually do something to make a difference. You have my 100% support, Monica et al.

Picked up my bag this morning - thanks Monica and all.

It irrationally made me feel so cheerful, I beamed at everyone; a woman behind the till at Somerfield said I'd been the first person to smile at her all morning.

Let's be kind to our shop staff - I hate shopping, good staff makes it bearable.

Share the love ...

[changing my name to Pollyanna]

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone I've spoken to who has the bags is very pleased with them, so a big thank you to Monica.

But there are still people using plastic bags.

Perhaps some of the high mark-up businesses in Lordship Lane could provide more free bags to sustain the momentum.