Peckham Rye Paddling Pool Area Consultation

boosboss

Just received this email, so thought I'd share. Of course all are welcome to attend

Dear All ,

I?d like to invite you to the Peckham Rye Common Paddling Pool Stakeholder Meeting on Monday 22nd October at Harris Sports Centre (Homestall Road, London SE22).

The meeting will start at 7:30pm and we will aim to finish at 9pm. There will be refreshments and an opportunity to speak to council officers.

Key items for Monday 22nd October meeting include:

? Feasibility study for Splash Park & Consultancy

? Agree on a project timetable

? Steering Group, format, members, roles & responsibility

? Introduction to the Playful Ideas Big Lottery Fund

As this is a project aimed at children and young people, we encourage you to invite and bring along young people who will want to be a part of the development of this project. The meeting will be a mixture of small group work and feedback to make it more interactive and allow more people to have the opportunity to input into the meeting.

I hope you can make it on Monday 22nd October and I look forward to seeing you then.

Please feel free to give me a ring in the meantime, or email me, if you have any questions about the meeting.

Yours sincerely,

Rachael Bannerman

Project Support Officer - CGS Team

Southwark Council

Environment & Housing Dept

186 Walworth Road

London SE17 1JJ

boosboss Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Please feel free to give me a ring in the

> meantime, or email me, if you have any questions

> about the meeting.

> >

> Yours sincerely,

>

> Rachael Bannerman

> Project Support Officer - CGS Team

> Southwark Council

> Environment & Housing Dept

> 186 Walworth Road

> London SE17 1JJ

What's her email address?

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to add something possibly constructive.

>

> But if this thing is a splash park then surely we

> are talking young kids etc. Is 7.30pm to 9.pm not

> a bit late? or not very inclusive for children ?

> would a saturday afternoon not attract more

> interest ?

Good point and one that you may wish to take up with Rachael Bannerman

As an established member, who obviously has a good rapor and a direct line of communication would it not be wise, if you think it is a good point to mention it to her yourself. I am sure you would be must better equipped to understand the local politics of it all.

The meeting was generally positive, with a handful of kids in attendance. The object of the meeting was more about working out a timescale for the project and organising a steering group to work out the finer details and how the consultation should progress, than anything. Overall a splash pool was to be the primary idea for the improvement of the site, but other aspects and additions such as play equipment and landscaping were also discussed. There was some discussion as to alternative locations for a splash pool if the old paddling pool site was not ideal, but these were not viewed any further than being suggestions. One of the biggest hurdles will be financing and where funding can be obtained from. One of the main problems with funding is that a lot of sources may regard the project as a council responsibilty and less of a needy cause etc. But many funding avenues are still yet to be explored. The project team came up with a programme completion date of mid-summer 2008. However, I don't see this as being realistic as there's still so much to do. The Nunhead and Peckham Rye Community council are fully behind the project and are keen to see it materialise as soon as possible. The Friends of Peckham Rye Park, The Peckham Society, Southwark Councils Parks Dept and Play Services all had representatives in attendance. Some of the main concerns expressed were the running costs (staffing and maintenance), environmental issues (mains or recycled water)and weather dependant usage.

Overall the project is being viewed positively, but still needs lots of local support and involvement. The meetings are 'open' meetings and it would be nice to see them better attended. I will endeavour to update as regularly as I get more information.