Gentrify...Commodify...Regenify...which one is it?

HOMum

Hi, im a local student who now has reached my final year and its dissertation time!!

I know this has been mentioned time and time again, on many different threads and could quite possibly be quite boring for you all. however, im focusing on Gentrification, and am carrying out a case study on East Dulwich!! im looking at how Gentrification can cause false aspirations,myth, status anxiety and emotional distress BUT also how it can improve an area greatly.

I would like anyone and everyone to comment on these ideas, id like your ideas, and i know it will probably go over many things that you have already talked about, but it would be really great to be more focused on what i am talking about and all in one thread!!

the main questions i pose to you are:

Do you think gentrification in Dulwich has been a good thing or a bad thing?

Has it gone too far?

Where do u think it will end?

Would be great to hear your thoughts

> im focusing on Gentrification, and am carrying out a case study on East Dulwich!! im looking at how Gentrification can cause false aspirations,myth, status anxiety and emotional distress BUT also how it can improve an area greatly.

Your supervisor might not like the prejudment.

wow...

you are very quick at replying! im new to all this!

Perhaps i should define what im trying to point out...

im not out too pre judge its merely what my research so far has brought to light.

often when speaking to people, i hear,

"i bought this car, because it gets to 130mph", not because it gets me from a to b.

when i asked a young mum why she decided to buy a three-wheeled mama and papa baby buggie, she replied:

"its the norm in ED"

I want to know why its the norm, and whether there is a 'keeping up with the joneses' affect.

and

as for 'Where will it end?'

rather then geographically i meant what is the next step for east dulwich will gentrification continue, and is a continuation possible.

i was away for a month in the summer and when i came back it already looked different!

jayd5

Like the idea for the dissertation - and as you've already noted there is plenty of grist for the mill on this forum

The recent thread about late night behaviour on LL, and it's wider parallels across the country, boils down to pretty much what you seem (to me anyway) to be suggesting - namely that many, many, many people across all socio-economic groups behave because it's what their peers do, or at least without wider consideration.

Which is fine and dandy, and known about but in an age where "individual" is king how can it be?

I hope you share the work you are doing. Don't worry about judging anyone, I'll do that ;-)

JD5 On the Forum you get complaints about general increased ponciness (daytime, tea shops, gift shops, snazzy new Estate agents etc) and complaints about increased yobbish behaviour on Fri and Sat nights down the Strip. Would be good to have someone actually do a "study" rather than purely rely on anecdotal evidence.

Gentrification - good or bad.

Good in the fact that there is a far greater selection of bars/shops/restaurants etc to please more tastes.

Good for the selfish reason that my house is worth considerably more than my mortgage.

Bad in that it may probably start to attract even more chain stores such as Cafe Nero and the White Stuff thus detracting from what made it good in the first place.

Bad in that the high house prices change the demographic of the people moving in here - there is a less diverse mixture of people than there was several years ago.

Has ED been gentrified? The definition being that an area on its arse has gone up in the world, Hoxton for instance.

So, has ED ever been on its arse in that way, or has it always been fairly affluent and it has just become a bit more affluent?

I suspect that the dowty class warriors will soon be leaping into their tanks to fight the good fight on this one.

a Do you think gentrification in Dulwich has been a good thing or a bad thing?

b Has it gone too far?

c Where do u think it will end?

Well, my contribution to your 10,000 words is:

a) Good for the gentry. But the exclusion, or the perceived exclusion, of those who are not economically advantaged is a significant Bad.

b) Surely a loaded question. Why too far? Too far for what? This seems to presuppose some disadvantageous process is in hand. There may well be but it seems loaded.

c) At the fish shop in Nunhead.

Do you think gentrification in Dulwich has been a good thing or a bad thing?

On the whole a good thing, there have been massive improvements to the high street, there are better places to eat and drink, and the primary schools all seem to be doing well. People have been priced out (me included), but that's life, and it happens all over.

Bad side... Well unfortunately, people exist like the mother you spoke to who would by a pram because it's the done thing around ED... What a fecking gob shite

Has it gone too far?

I don't know what you mean by "too far", in my opinion, it will have gone too far the day the CPT gets an all over face lift and starts serving posh nosh.

Where do u think it will end?

No end in sight as yet. People bought in ED say 5-6 yars ago, and will have made a great profit. However, when they need to upsize because they're having bigger families or whatever, they will find themselves priced out, and wealthier people will move in. Can only see it stopping if there is a massive crash in house prices, but that's far from likely.

great feedback...

thankyou piers for the thread,

and sorry for offending with my grammar error!!! accidental, but clearly unforgivable!!

great advice/comments/support

keep them coming and i will keep you posted with further developments

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has ED been gentrified? The definition being that

> an area on its arse has gone up in the world,

> Hoxton for instance.

>

> So, has ED ever been on its arse in that way, or

> has it always been fairly affluent and it has just

> become a bit more affluent?

That's a very good point. People always talk like ED was a working class haven 10 years ago, but it just wasn't. There has always been a real mix in the area, and in that sense it hasn't changed. I would say it's gotten more trendy, but is that the same thing?

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nope, it was rhetorical and thus a statement, not

> a sentence. I did give it a moment's thought

> though ;)

> Incidentally, does an emoticon act as a full stop

> in the manner of a question or exclamation mark?

That'll learn me. ;)