ED on Victorian 'poverty' map

DaveR

Well, first of all Booth's maps were mostly based on external perception of wealth and poverty (state of curtains etc) or the views of members of the local constabulary, and how much litter (in those days bread) there was on a street.

I can't find my copy of Booth's book today, but I recall that, while there was undoubtedly poverty in East Dulwich, as there was all over Victorian London, I recall that there was only one no-go slum area, which I seem to recall was to the left at the top of North Cross Road at the junction with Crystal Palace Road.

Are we back with the same mix? Well that really depends how you measure poverty, but I don't think we are. The extremes are not as great as they were in the 19th century, and I think that's reflected in East Dulwich. Although I don't think the map of ED would have been untypical of most areas of suburban London at that time, were rich and poor often did live in relative close proximity to each other.

I love the fact that Rye Lane was populated by Middle class, wWell to do Londoners in 1898

Ha! How things change!

Where I live in ED is a pink area. Nice.

Searched further East and saw that Bow was populated by the vicious semi criminal classes! The Victorians pulled no punches!

Thanks, DaveR.

Seems to support my assertion on another thread:

> However, I don't think that Dyos and the like can be applied to the specific area bounded by East Dulwich Road, Peckham Rye (Road), Barry Road and Lordship Lane. I understand that the small properties that dominate this area were specifically built for rental by the skilled working class, and low rank white collar managerial staff.