Personal fashion Faux pas

????

Never liked 'em. Too chavy.

Actually, thinking back on it, in the 80's Nike did a range of pale lilac and pale pink jogging bottoms. I was into those in a big way. In fact my kids still mention them to this day. In a mocking tone of voice.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lacoste maybe, infact yes, FP toooo much youth

> culture heritage to be chavy

Lacoste is a tricky one, here they can be seen as chavy, over in France not so, they have a similar history/identity to FP...maybe it's down to the wearer ;-)

red devil Wrote:

------>

> Lacoste is a tricky one, here they can be seen as

> chavy, over in France not so, they have a similar

> history/identity to FP...maybe it's down to the

> wearer ;-)

Easier to rip off though - buy a bag of crocodiles from petticoat lane and stick on to ?2 polo shirt - the FP logo was woven into the shirt so harder to fake - why lacoste seen as chavvier... like burberry and D&G sunglasses.

maxxi Wrote:

> red devil Wrote:

> ------>

> > Lacoste is a tricky one, here they can be seen

> as

> > chavy, over in France not so, they have a

> similar

> > history/identity to FP...maybe it's down to the

> > wearer ;-)

>

>

> Easier to rip off though - buy a bag of crocodiles

> from petticoat lane and stick on to ?2 polo shirt

> - the FP logo was woven into the shirt so harder

> to fake - why lacoste seen as chavvier... like

> burberry and D&G sunglasses.

I wouldn't know, I buy mine in France ;-)

I tend to find the word 'chav' completely meaningless when someone applies it to fashion labels.

Lacoste, if my memory serves me right, was always seen as a better label than Fred Perry, but their products are no longer made in France and I've heard their quality has gone down hill. Fred Perry polo tops are okay but the material lacks the same thickness as the Lacoste's.

Burberry is okay but I wouldn't buy their stuff as I think there's better quality/price elsewhere. The Trench coats are regarded as the finest but the fit doesn't suit me.

My love for Ted Max > your love for Ted Max

I've never made a faux pas. Unless you count my sugar nipples in a new business pitch.

I've never looked at a picture of myself with a dodgy haircut or ra-ra skirt and wondered what I was thinking. I was thinking I loved my outfit. I was thinking ain't life sweet in my over-knee socks and bowler hat, or my red womble cords, or my flared jeans that soaked up the Manchester rainwater like so much chromatography.

If you're ashamed of something you wore, you want to take a good hard look at yourself and ask just what have you become? You used to be so carefree, so full of joie de vivre, you used to run down hills just because they were there, and go for a quick fumble behind the bike sheds and listen to bands your parents hated, and now you're just a bitter old hack who begrudges the young 'uns their fluoro nail varnish and Primark tat.

Dear Rosie, that reflects your own fashion past, and good on you. Others may be cringing for other reasons, chief among them Why did I wear what my mum/my best friends/my gang/a fashion magazine said I should, though it made me feel crap? Or Why did I wear those drab cords for years and years, afraid to wear something bright that might risk making someone notice I was there? Shame and regret come in many flavours.

I think it's important to 'brown out' your clothes as you get older.

First, dispense with any bold colours and strident patternation. Then, imagine that your wardrobe is controlled by two giant levers; one which controls contrast and the other which fades from colour to brown.

Begin by fading to brown and then - slowly - lower the contrast. If you've timed things right you should be on beige by the time your heart gives out.

*Bob* Wrote:

> I think it's important to 'brown out' your clothes

> as you get older.

Does that include "Home Counties Green" *Bob* ?

I have costumes in every shade of green from Barbour and the likes, but these do get sidelined "out of season".

Does that count, or shall I just kill myself now.

Nette:-S