Scala Personal Training at Everyone Active (was Fusion), East Dulwich.

Giulio Scala

I have been training with Guilio for the last 7 months, and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed every minute of it, even when I am red in the face and think I can't run anymore. Guilio is very motivating, has a great knowledge of personal training and understand what you want to achieve and gets you there, with humour and and understanding of how much he can push you. I had a lower back problem, which was a barrier for me, that has gone!!!! (Kings college hospital take note) .I have achieved the fitness level I was hoping for and will continue as the energy i have now has enabled me to train on my own every week day for a year, and incorporating running, weights, resistance training, body conditioning, pilate and yoga into my weekly regime. Oh and I have lost nearly 2 stone which was a major goal. If you are looking for a trainer Guilio is your man. (Hopefully I can still get my weekly slot in his diary after this recommendation.)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
After a sparkly ring being placed on my finger, the pressure was on to do something about the bingo-bongo wings and the not so J-Lo curves. All I can say is that Giulio gets results. I do not naturally warm to the ?language of gym? so his patience and humour have been vital! He has educated me about nutrition, and his encouragement has resulted in a gym-shy person actually enjoying the challenge. Through his varied programs I am always pushed past what I considered to be my limit, and am never bored. I can?t recommend him enough, he is brilliant!

• 2 months later...

10 years of drastic yoyo dieting, long hours on cardio machines and a pregnancy had left me with a rather slim but PUFFY body. I had no muscle mass, lots of handles, dangles and belly bangles!

Giulio knew exactly what I needed and introduced me to WEIGHT LIFTING. I had never had the courage to do nor thought strength training was for women, it was a shock to my flabby system and it completely changed my training psychology!

He was absolutely amazing and conscientious; I couldn?t afford regular session but when I saw him he made an incredible effort to try and teach me as much as an hour can allow, without compromising safety. He taught me all about the different muscles in the body and the many exercises that target each muscle group and their variations to prevent plateaus, muscle adaption, boredom and know what to do when there is a queue for the squat rack!

Despite the challenging routines and friction burns working out with Giulio was a lot of fun! He is such a great trainer, so professional, genuine and most importantly gets RESULTS!! 2 years of training with him and I can now do chin ups, pull ups, push ups and squat like a man without looking like one! It has completely reshaped my body (without exaggeration? a non-surgical body lift!) and I have developed strong lean feminine curves!

I highly highly highly recommend him!!!

• 2 months later...

I am coming up to my 1 year anniversary of training with Giulio and would strongly recommend him.

When I first got in touch with him I was overweight, mildly asthmatic and chronically lazy.

In the last 11 months I have lost almost 4 stone, dropped from bursting out of a size 16 to a size 10, haven't needed my asthma medication in 6 months and am the fittest and strongest I have ever been in my entire life. I look and feel 20 years younger.

Giulio helps and motivates me and pushes me harder than I ever thought I'd allow someone to push me. I look forward to every session, and we laugh so much whilst training, I feel invigorated when I leave.

If you commit to getting fitter and stronger I can think of nobody better to help you.

One word of advice though...never tell him you want to achieve something specific because he will not rest until you do...enough with the pull-ups G :)

• 2 months later...

I have trained with Guilio for two years. I started because I was trying to get in shape for a charity run.... I carried on because I managed to get more exercise done in an hour, than I would manage in two left to my own devices!

Guilio plans the sessions, so you get a very systematic organised work out.... I certainly don't have the ability to plan that, whilst also doing the actual exercise. After two years I have decent abs (no mean feat after 2 c-sections) toned arms and I have good fitness levels, which helps when keeping up with three small people.

Guilio manages to plan a work out that whilst it 'just' about, stays within my capabilities, proves that I can always achieve more than I think I can.

.... And during all that, he manages to keep up the chat and make sure that a visit to a professional 'torturer' is actually really good fun.

I moving out of the area this summer so am having to stop my sessions with Guilio but I would highly recommend him and he must have at least one spare session a week right now!

• 4 months later...
Almost trained for 2 years with Giulio I have never seem my body in better shape. All I initially wanted was to tone up and have a good body definition for those holidays reached that goal and kept in shape ever since. The workouts are tailored to you and your ability to keep on improving. Plus the nutritional advice makes a big difference. I would highly recommend Giulio training programme for fast effective and lasting results.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have trained with Giulio for two years now. I began training with him when I was 15 weeks pregnant. I had always been a runner and enjoyed going to the gym to do circuits and weights, but didn't know how far to push myself during pregnancy. What's safe? There is so much varied advice, I decided to have a few sessions with Giulio (He trained a good friend of mine when she was pregnant, and she recommended him). A few sessions turned into months and before I knew it i was 37 weeks and feeling in great shape and still enjoying working out. I was full of energy the whole way through my pregnancy. I have no doubt that the help Giulio gave me during my pregnancy made the birth and recovery so much easier.

I've been training with him every since and couldn't be happier with the results (well i could, but that's my red wine and malteser addiction, not his training!!) He's great at keeping you motivated and to steal from someone else's post, be careful what you tell him your goals are. He won't let up until you'll achieved them! He keeps the sessions varied, so you never get bored and more importantly the hour flies by. It also helps that he's a genuinely nice guy.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used Giulio (Scala Personal Training) for 2.5 years and I can officially say he's amazing! I first went to see him because I was unfit and overweight. I remember losing 3 lbs in my first week and then I was hooked. He showed me that I had to change the way I ate (and drank) as well as exercising me hard. I would never had found the motivation to get fitter and lose weight without him and will be eternally grateful as he has transformed my life. I felt consigned to my podgy appearance but he has transformed that. I've lost 2st 9lbs and gone from a size 16 to an 8/10 and most importantly I am more confident and happy with how I look. My fitness has improved no end I can can out-hike most of my friends. He made every training session hard but fun, always changing it up so I was never bored and for a guy he has great small talk so I was distracted from sprinting! I managed to convince my boyfriend to use him too and we ended up having joint sessions. We just got married and I'm so proud of our wedding photos - I never imagined that either of us would look like that a couple of years ago. If you're umming and ahhing about a personal trainer - don't - book a session with Giulio and you won't look back. He's worth every penny, can't reccommend him enough :)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, thank you all for taking the time to write all the above posts, it's much appreciated.

Just wanted to pop in and say that things are going well since Everyone Active have taken over East Dulwich Leisure Centre. I'm sure lots of you have already seen all the great changes that have been made but if you haven't please do go and check it out. Scala PT continues as usual, now into our 15th year!

• 2 months later...

I?ve been training with Giulio since February 2016. My initial motivation was to lose weight and 'get fitter'. Before starting the 'journey', back in the bleak blues of the 2016 winter (when everyone seemed to be dying) I don?t think I did understand what ?get fitter? really meant?at least relative to now. I?ve lost 22.5Kg / 50lb in that time, while increasing my muscle mass, so that?s a big TICK. What I?ve also done, which is far more important, is learn why I was unfit and how to stop myself regressing. It seems simple, and ultimately it is, ?eat healthy and do exercise? but what to eat and what exercises and when, and for how long, etc etc etc ? for that I needed educating.

For me the decision to get a PT was a long term lifestyle choice and not about having one off sessions here and there. It?s been about becoming a healthier person, and to use a very 2016 clich? I?ve "taken back control" (of my health). All of which has required a great PT, and I?ve certainly found that in Giulio.

I?ve decided to categorise my reasons for recommending Giulio and the benefits to having a PT into headers as I have a tendency otherwise to waffle (see above).

HE?S A PROFESSIONAL

- Giulio is an Advanced Instructor level 3 with the Register of Exercise Professionals

- His professionalism is evident, always focused, never a ?mean? PT

- He meticulously logs details of exercises performed, weights lifted, reps repeated?

- Giulio pre-plans each session

ASSESMENTS

- My first session began with an assessment of my exercise abilities / weaknesses, past injuries, discussing my general health, and past experience with trainers and gyms

- I?m weighed every week, which helps give focus to assessing progress (it?s also a good deterrent for mid week drinking sessions)

- Every 3 months we do key body measurements

- The regularity has been tailored to me, so you may decide a different routine suits you better.

FOCUS ON PROGRESSION AND RESULTS

Targets have been the key for me, I can see where I?m heading and know how long it?s taking me to get there. To ensure this works it?s vital that I have realistic goals, and that I get encouragement through the difficult plateaus. Giulio worked these targets out carefully and is very encouraging and genuinely happy to see targets being hit. He really does care about his clients.

NUTRITION ADVICE

Following Giulio?s advice I keep a log of my food intake and discuss this during our sessions. I changed what I was eating, especially the quantity, for reasons of calorie intake and for improving nutritional balance. For example, I wasn?t eating enough protein, so we discussed this, we discussed ways I could increase my intake, and Giulio also explained how protein works, when I should be eating it, how much I should be aiming for. Now I?m eating enough protein to maintain my progress and to make the most out of my exercise.

INDIVIDUALIZED WORKOUT PROGRAMME

With Giulio your workout is fully tailored to you. It?s really important to train across a range of exercises, it?s therefore key to have this education if you intend to make real strides. Giulio varies the workouts, so it?s never boring, and it also challenges my limits.

CORRECT POSTURE AND EXERCISE FORM

A friend of mine recently (who doesn't see a PT) suffered a distal bicep tendon tear due to not doing full ranges when lifting?if you don?t know that means please get a PT before you start doing weights! Having a trainer like Giulio means that he?s looking and commenting on your posture, how you?re standing, how you?re positioned, which way your head is facing etc etc which avoids injuries.

EFFICIENCY

You can of course work out at a gym without a PT, and most of my gym sessions are without Giulio. However, I discuss with him what I will be doing between sessions, and that?s all part of the bigger picture. The benefit to getting a trainer is of course that you will get an education in how to effectively and efficiently 'get fitter?, learn what best works for you, improve your technical skills, improve your confidence with using the gym (especially the dreaded free weights).

Having a PT isn?t just about getting someone to help you at the gym, it?s about getting support to improve your health holistically. Giulio delivers on this in spades.

• 4 months later...
I have a private (well, formerly private) nickname for Giulio: I refer to him as the "smiling sadist". He's an extremely friendly guy, and is unfailingly polite and easy going. But by golly he makes you work hard! Like many people who have commented on here, I had no particular expectations about personal training when I started - I simply wanted to get fitter. But I have found it to be a hugely rewarding experience that, in its way, has been genuinely transformative: when I am training regularly (and I haven't always managed this) I feel good about myself, have much more energy, and hugely raise my performance in whatever sports I play. Giulio always keeps the routines varied and (again, as other have said) seems to know exactly how hard to push you - in his sessions, I work far harder than I am able to when training on my own. He's a great motivator - and a great guy - and I certainly recommend him. The only problem is that a lot of other people have realised this, and so he doesn't have all that many free slots!

• 1 month later...

I want to add my heartfelt thanks and recommendation for Giulio's personal training.

After going to the gym for many years I was looking for a bit of direction and motivation so decided to seek Giulio's support. Giulio was professional, always accessible over text if I needed a bit of extra advice during sessions and always focused during our sessions. I also liked that he used a digital i-pad to record my progress rather than paper and pen and seemed to prepare ahead of our sessions. We didn't waste a second during the hours PT and I always really enjoyed the sessions, knowing I had worked harder than I would without him. As Rhys mentioned in an earlier post, most of my workouts were not with Giulio but he sent me the exercises we had done in between so I could continue my momentum.

I didn't have too much to lose but in 3 months I lost 10 pounds and toned up. Most importantly, I regained a love for the gym, a dedication to keeping fit and on track and became educated on what to eat, especially portion size and how to train.

I am only giving up my slot with Giulio as I am moving out of the area - nab it now before it goes!

• 2 months later...

I have been working with Giulio for over two years. I orginally went to him requesting a half hour slot to help me stretch, due to painful and often imflamed joints. He quickly moved on from that to specific exercises and weights to improve my muscles and strength. I find the time with him invaluable, though I do sometimes dread it. I always, always feel better after the session and extremely grateful.

He has been immensely helpful and supportive, and would not hesitate to recommend this thoroughly efficient and professional trainer.

Thanks Giulio.

Yvette of Honor Oak

• 4 months later...

I started working with Giulio exactly two years ago as one of my New Year?s resolutions was to become fitter and I wanted to lose a few pounds. Initially, I was sceptical about starting Personal Training. Would one session a week be enough for me to see any results? I am traditionally not a gym person but prefer to go running instead and I didn?t want to commit to going to the gym three times a week.

Well, two years later I can honestly say it was one of the best investments in my health I ever made. Having that one scheduled weekly session has not only made me fitter, stronger and leaner but it has also given me a great stress outlet. I know that during hectic times, I would not have stuck to my exercise regime had I not had Giulio?s sessions to keep me focussed. I always felt so much more energised afterwards which then motivated me to find that extra time for a running session later on in the week.

What I really appreciate about Giulio is his down to earth, no nonsense approach. He listened to my goals and then gave me a concrete plan with some real, practical advice on how to achieve them. At the same time, when I didn?t manage to stick to it, he encouraged me to keep going rather than making me feel bad that I hadn?t. I also really valued his flexibility when it came to the type of exercise we did, mixing up the routine each week and going outside when the weather allowed. Most of all, he?s got a great sense of humour so that working out was fun rather than a chore! If I hadn?t moved away from London, I would still be working with him. All I can say is, don?t just think about it, give it a go for a couple of sessions and see how you feel afterwards. You won?t regret it!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Giulio is an amazing PT. He is very professional and keeps a record of all your sessions. He obviously knows a lot about exercise, fitness and diet. I feel my strength and fitness have improved massively since training with him. He also helped me train when I was pregnant. If you have unpredictable working hours he is fantastic at fitting you in last minute.

• 4 months later...

Giulio has been my personal trainer for over 12 years and has really helped me maintain my physical health and fitness during all that time whilst juggling a busy career. You get top value and quality with Giulio. He knows absolutely what he is talking about through his professional qualifications and experience and keeps up to date through continuous professional development.

Giulio works with a range of clients of all ages to help them achieve their fitness goals. Giulio?s sense of humour and practical suggestions are invaluable and the hour long training session flies by but you do realise you?ve been through a tough workout!

I would thoroughly recommend Giulio as he really achieves that balance between support and not letting you, the client, get away with any sloppiness, after all why would you pay for a quality personal trainer like Giulio if you are not going to take your health and fitness seriously.

• 4 months later...
I'd highly recommend Giulio. He has been a friendly, motivating coach for my 9-year-old son who needed to get fitter after an illness. He keeps a close eye on progress from week to week and knows what to do to push his clients further and make them feel good about their progress.

• 2 months later...
Giulio has been helping me get fitter, stronger and slimmer since having my two kids. I can truly say I look forward to our sessions as they are always varied and actually quite good fun! He pushes me to the edge of my ability and I achieve a lot more with him than when I go alone. Now convinced the husband to go, who was very reticent following a heart attack and years of no sport. As predicted - he too has also now caught the bug! If you are looking for a seasoned, friendly and non-intimidating PT, give him a whirl.

• 9 months later...
I've been training with Giulio in At Everyone Active in East Dulwich for several years and I highly recommend him. I'm not a natural when it comes to health and fitness but Giulio has really motivated me to stay focussed on my goals and I'm very pleased that I'm still exercising and improving even through rehab from operations and surgery. Giulio is a very professional trainer and he puts me through my paces but we have a laugh too which is the perfect balance for me. I'd advise anyone wanting to improve their health and fitness to try working with Giulio, you won't regret it.

• 2 years later...
If you're looking for a PT to work out with I can highly recommend Giulio. I started training with Giulio to get back into shape after my second child. I didn't feel very confident around a gym and had never really done weights before. I was so happy with the results I kept my sessions going for nearly 6 years! Giulio keeps the training focused so I feel like I get loads out of each session. He is realistic about what I can do in between sessions as a busy parent and devised a great short workout I can do on my own. He's super patient and a genuinely lovely person to workout with.