Montpelier (Lounged)

k hogan

went there on saturday night

the staf were disinterested the drin were epensive the music was on ver loudly and was dance music ...fine.. but people were eating resataurant styleee and prices to match ,we asked for a change in music to somethng more mellow ...nothing happened i think the manager was texting too much to take any notice .. not good enough

Loving the Monty right now. Sweet people , food is pretty good. The only issue is identity. Is it a loud young bar, a footie pub, a gastropub. They'll work this out in time. Right now the only thing they get wrong is music volume. It's crazy having to raise your voice when youre having a quiet, possibly romantic drink/bite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is bloody expensive to have Sky Sports in a pub so if they're gonna show it they would want to attract as many customers as possible in order to justify the cost.

Or... they're stealing it somehow.

(And if they are they'll get caught and prosecuted, if anyone reads The Publican now and again they'll know this.)

Another reason I love The Clock House ( - sorry "TCH" to remain in keeping with the trend for tiresome TLAs, or should that be TTLAs) is that they don't have a telly and the music is rarely loud enough to interrupt a conversation and the music is my kinda music too, and - well as well as the great food, Laurence is a bit of a dish int' he.

AND it's across the park.

If I want to watch footie in a pub I'd go to one I knew was legally paying for it and made an effort to accommodate all its customers. Some "football" pubs are right dives.

But this is East Dulwich, we don't tolerate dives, do we!

The beginning of the 1980s? No way - it first started at the 1990 World Cup and accelerated beyond control at "Euro '96". I was at University at the 1982 World Cup and in our hall of residence I remember perhaps 5 or 6 of us watching England games...and definitely no birds..........now everyone from the home counties, birds and all, support one of the predictables..."Oooh I like Chelsea they had lots of Italian players when I started liking Footie"..."Oh Arsenal look good, Melvyn Bragg and Nick Hornby support them"....my families from Mile End, my nan sulked 'cos her dad wouldn't let her go to Wembley in 1923 whilst her brothers bunked in over the gates....I don't have a choice and wouldn't have it any other way

Piers - I'll let you off as you're a Hammer