Halloween Egging

I live on Overhill Road and have been inundated with little trick or treaters for most of the evening. I'm not a 'bah humbug', but I don't answer the door...as a result my windows got pelted with eggs. Anyone else have any probs?

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush - on my way home from work I saw lots of little cuties all dressed up, accompanied by a parent and clearly enjoying themselves, but its the few trouble makers that spoil it for everyone...

I got knocked on about 8 times last night. It was nice at first, but then it just got formulaic. I did try to be cheery and to admire the costumes, but on the whole I thought it was a bit flat. The ones that got my vote were the group that told me a joke, just to show their gratitude. I knew two lots of callers, the rest were strangers. In the US where the festival is so much more part of the culture it is so much easier to get in the thick of it, rather like Bonfire Night is here where there is a real sense of excitement and community (oh dear, I said the 'c' word.) Nero

I took my daughter and her friend out and had a great time. We did observe the pumkin rule, so didn't upset anyone.

Some people had some brilliant Halloween decorations.

I had a pumpkin in my window and left a massive bowl of sweets on a chair oustide for any kids to help themselves, but most of them were still there when we got back! I think my dogs may have scared them off, so my daughter has way too many sweets and chocolates now!

We caught come collateral egg damage as one of the little thuglets pelted the house next door but had all the accuracy of Lampard playing for England. Later in the evening some more knocked at our door and pointed out said egg and, as I went to get some sweets for them, one of the treaters said "we know who did that, it was..." but was gagged by her bigger sister!

We only had two knocks at the door all evening and I reckon the eggy mess on the floor outside detered all but the most hardened treaters.

Would it be bad form to throw eggs back? You could leave the lights and TV on but hide somewhere in the front garden or on the roof and when scorned trick-or-treaters decide to throw eggs at your house you could pelt them with a barrage of your own.

Who says Halloween can?t be fun for grown-ups too. :))

i agree, one night of relatively tame mischief is not worth getting upset about. there's almost something romantic about the tradition of washing eggs off your windows the first weekend of every November.

(sorry I'm bored and hungover at work and commenting on virtually every thread!!)

My kids got lost. Went trick or treating with grandad who doesn't live too near and doesn't know the neighbours too well. They left the house together and kids (7 and 9) went left and grandad lagged to lock up and then turned right. I was at work. Comedy of errors then as kids and grandad came back to the house and missed each other. Kids ended up crying at neighbour's house. Neighbour's 12 yr old sorted them out with a swift dose of chocolate buttons. Two mums came by with pack of kids and decided to sort it out, so one of them took my kids and stood on the corner and the other went round the block and found grandad, who was more distressed than the kids by this stage.

No harm done and all speaks very well for the area. Scary bit was when I was talking it through with my big one, she said there was a short period when they were on our doorstep crying and if a stranger had come by and offered to help she reckoned they were upset enough they might have got into a car if a stranger had offered to take them to mummy's work....shiver down the spine.