Your views on Foie Gras

Thomas Micklewright

• 3 weeks later...

"What is wrong with a lovely, fluffy, buttery, crispy baked potato? Last year Rosemary and I got into a Saturday-night habit of watching Spiral/Borgen/anything with Lundt in it, while having baked potatoes and cabbage for our dinner. Sometimes we went wild and added salad or baked beans. It was paradise."

If that's heaven, then I'm thinking that it might be worth checking out hell first.

I used to have a sense of humour back in the day.

This forum has made me want to go postal on all your asses and then eat my own head.

I read the Guardian and I think PETA are cunts. I like Stewart Lee and I think foie gras is delicious.

Lazy cunting wanking pissing cocking shitting mother-fucking Guardian stereotypes from people I always assumed had more than two cocking wanking pissing brain cells make me want to butcher the lot of you and jump up and down on your soggy entrails til they get all good and soupy and I add in a bottle or two of something from the kooky shelf at G&B and sell you down Northcross Road with some roasties and a weird salad.

Stick that in your cunting Telegraph-reading pipe and smoke it.

Before I smoke you.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Before I smoke you.

Just to be clear, please don't report me to the police. I am not Carter (though I just may be an unstoppable sex machine) and have not the wherewithal to 'smoke' anybody.

I'm just going to kill myself.

???? Wrote:

> A brilliant post full of anger and bile.....

>

> ..and then out slips the Guardian reader in post 2

> and spoils it

C'mere while I kiss you.

Seriously, having been stalked on here by some twat who wanted to report me to the police, I just thought I'd cover my back before the fuzz come round and I've gotta smoke them too. I'm lazy in the cleaning department and I think blood's tricky to get out of cheap nylon rental carpet.

Tom Micklewright Wrote:

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/oct/01

> /eaten-foie-gras-accident

>

> Even the guardian are getting involved!

Its shocking isnt it Thomas. Someone actually paid her to publish that few hundred words of shitty self obsessed, dire, mundane quasi-liberal ramblings.Once upon a time they had ranttastic Burchill on board - off her face, but at least readable - now this is the kind of non committal humour free turdish copy that actually goes to print.

Only YOU can stop this kind of thing by dumping your Guardian and buying another newspaper. Any fucking newspaper.

• 1 month later...

I like Michelle Hanson's writing but then I like what Lynne Truss says in Eats, shoots and leaves. For a more balanced diet in terms of content have a look at The Guradian's lead article today:

Britain in nutrition recession as food prices rise and incomes shrinkFamilies filling up on high-fat processed foods as 900,000 fewer in two years manage 'five-a-day' fruit and vegetables

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/nov/18/breadline-britain-nutritional-recession-austerity?intcmp=122

Foie gras is an extreme example of food production and to focus on that distracts us from the broader issues that affect more people - and animals - and which are fundamentally important for the world to be able to feed itself sustainably.

The case studies attached to that Guardian feature mostly elicited zero sympathy. Saying that ?20 a term for the kid's school milk and fruit was 'unaffordable', then admitting they spent ?24 a month on Sky was just plain stupid. And the couple that was struggling to bring up their four children on a mere ?44K a year?

The Gruin shooting itself in the foot, again. Pass me the Foie Gras please?

Interesting reading the comments in response to The Guardian article. This puts it well for me:

"Lots of people queuing up to tell us how they make lovely pot roasts that last for days. Good for you!

Kind of misses the point that the poor are poor in cash terms, but also poor in terms of time (often working more than one job or unsocial hours) and poor in their level of education and understanding of why foods like processed coated chicken or prepared pizzas can be bad in excess - even though they're marketed as perfectly respectable things to serve your family.

But most comments on here will ignore peoples' work and lives, and instead simply assume that they're all slobs. And then tell us how they can do a lovely pot roast for three quid that lasts all week."

Regardless of your view on The Guardian's journalistic quality, it would be good to read some thoughts on food affordability.

My view is that a lot of people at the poorer end of society are not just cash poor and time poor, but also information poor. The Guardian case studies were an interesting read in that many of these people who aren't getting their five-a-day isn't so much on cost, but inability to source cheap, healthy food and cook it. A lot of these people were spending ?80 to ?100 a week in the supermarket, and then complaining they couldn't afford 'decent food'. Really?

Food has gone up considerably, but Basics/Value carrots/onions/potatoes etc are still affordable. Mince can be bought cheaply, as can chicken thighs and pork. Padding these out with vegies and pasta can feed a hoarde. The seemingly obvious answer is to teach people to cook, but as Jamie Oliver found out, people do actually turn their nose up at healthy food.

So is food cost really the reason people aren't getting their 5-a-day? I think it is part of the problem, but certainly not the main cause.

Alec,

If you haven't come across the book Poor Economics by Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Du Flo then I strongly recommend it. Below is a link to the relevant section of the website. They talk about why people make what on the face of it seem to be irrational decisions in even more extreme circumstances than the above.

http://pooreconomics.com/chapters/2-billion-hungry-people

Some people are scared of food that DOESN'T come in a box.

"How do you know what's been on it, where it's been"

My next door neighbour is one, perfectly nice people, but they fill a recycle bin each week with food boxes and packaging. I've known her son for years, he knows what fresh food is ,but just can't get it past his lips (his own words)

Iceland deliveries & plenty of "Pizza for a Pand" though they cook a "proppa dinna" on Sunday's.

It's also an over dependence on supermarkets, and the whole basics range annoys the sh*t out of me. It's cheaper to shop for those items elsewhere & when you do, you realise that theres loads of stuff at better prices.

For instance; 4 x pheasants at Herne hill farmers market ?10.00. Rabbits ?4. Pidgeon ?1.10

Though who buys them, viseral and bloody, possibly with shot in them ?

Not my neighbours, no. But they don't buy Foie Gras either.