Mosquitos!!!

They bite more in the evening, but it is the season for breeding insects like gnats and mosquitos,and those big horseflys,who jump up when you walk on the long grass.

They give a very nasty bite some people have to have antibiotics after an allergic reaction to them.

The females like blood when they are breeding.

In Scotland near the lochs it is horrendous for mozzies.

Get repellents, try eau de cologne or Lavender.and cover up if you have to be near these ares.

Like the Minky said look for stagnant water containers this is where they breed but if you have a pond in your garden

and they like biting you get rid of the pond.

Tarot,

Those big flies that jump out of the grass sound more likely to be craneflies/daddy long legs which are harmless, though the leatherjackets, their larvae, can do a fair bit of damage to lawns as they eat the grass roots. Horseflies tend to hang around streams, marshes and wooded places (apparantly) and hurt when they bite.

Tarot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They bite more in the evening, but it is the

> season for breeding insects like gnats and

> mosquitos,and those big horseflys,who jump up when

> you walk on the long grass.

> They give a very nasty bite some people have to

> have antibiotics after an allergic reaction to

> them.

I got bitten by one yesterday morning and I've just had to go get antibiotics for cellulitis - it's not really an allergic reaction, it's an infection caused by the bite, hurts like hell!

Its bizarre I usually have to be on holiday (ie not in England) to be bitten as badly as this. Gotta be something to do with our changing planet surely? Tx for all the tips...did fan last night...not quite sure I can go to sleep with eau de marmite - even though I'm a marmite liker (on toast that is).

Use one of those green coils. Light it before you go to bed and it slowly burns through the night, is pretty effective.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifesystems-Mosquito-Smoke-Coils-Green/dp/B000LN7CSE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312367977&sr=8-1

This is what we use in the tropics.

Haven't seen them around here, but I'd try the independent corner shops or pound stores.

Little midges cause very painful bites too, they usually swarm in a cloud, and sometimes you dont see them until you are right in the ruddy middle of them.

Recently my hand swelled and itched like mad and I had two little holes very close together I was told it was a spider bite.

I had been cutting someones privet hedge, it must have been on the leaves.Used antihistiman cream and it eased it some.