ED is becoming less diverse as a result of recent Demog. changes (Lounged)

snorky

I thought this was a bit of a joke thread. Ibo, Cmon lets just admit that the demographics have changed due to house prices, and ethnic cleansing and genocide are actually very serious crimes against humanity, and have not happened in this country for a few hundred years at least if ever. (mockney is the history buff so can fill in any blanks I've left!)

TT's spot on.

We've been a refuge for many of those cleansed from elsewhere in Europe (our very own Huguenot for instance), and enjoyed a bit of the burning, murder and pillaging in France and Ireland, but no, nothing too bad in the home island.

And nope, the saxons apparently didn't do anything of the sort either, they came along and imposed themselves at the highest ecehlons of society liej the normans did after them, but your average englishman, irishman and scotsman is more or less what he was over 5,000 years ago (double that in the case of the irish).

Well if ?Britain? includes any territories which were subject to the crown as part of the empire at any given time. (Which it does no matter how isolate some parts of Britain like to pretend they are) Then a whole lot of genocide and ethic cleansing has gone on. Much of it quite recently. The empire itself wasn?t always to blame but sometimes it was.

But that is neither here nor there for this discussion.

Indeed, both in the first empire and in the later empire we have plenty to hang our heads in shame about. When the likes of Gordon Brown say that we should be proud of the empire he's effectively attempting to rewrite history.

Yes we* could be quite constructive, and yes we weren't as bad as many others, but that really shouldn't detract from the fact that empire is a pretty evil concept full stop.

*I say we, of course as also a Spaniard I have even more to hang my head in shame about, they were really nasty!!

I don't think you can box up the concept of the British Empire and lay blame and/or praise on it. It is something that stretches back to the 1500s (or the Norman invasion of Ireland depending on how you want to look at it) and it still exists to some extent today. A lot of good constructive things were done over the centuries and in general it was/still is sensible policy to have mutually beneficial arrangements between the crown and its colonies.

But a lot of down right, foul, evil was committed as well especially in situations where the military?s authority was questioned.

the norman invasion of Ireland is probably stretching that definition a bit much, that was the imposition of a norman aristocracy over most of ireland, doing exactly what they did here.

The 16th-18th century empire was pretty rubbish and mismanaged, with Canada it's only lasting legacy (the loss of the american colonies had long been predicted on more or less of a demographic basis, they were so darn fertile!!!).

Later empire was basically a trading empire backed up by Naval might, but usually controlled by locals in whose interest it was to support the British civilian governor (good old divide and rule(rule you see, rarely conquer)). It was arguably the least military empire in history and when looked at through a purely political/geo-poitical lens (ie not a humanist or social one) remains pretty impressive achievement, especially compared to the size and cost of the military empire run by the United States today.

Britain's always had a distrust of the concept of military authority, and it's never really been a factor in domestic political life, the civil war apart of course!!

It's not like me to be pedantic is it :-/

Ooh, and this definitely isn't intended to whitewash - a la GB - some very bad things committed, either by it's own troops (china, south africa) or by proxies in the empire's interests (just about everywhere at some point or other).

It was meant to be humorous but somehow changed into something more serious .Having thought about it a bit more it seems that ethnic cleansing is done force of arms and economic cleansing is done by force of the wallet .

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It was meant to be humorous but somehow changed

> into something more serious .Having thought about

> it a bit more it seems that ethnic cleansing is

> done force of arms and economic cleansing is done

> by force of the wallet .

>

> No shit?

Did you mean no fairy shit?