England Croatia

snorky

Only just noticed this thread. My feelings about the match are in the football focus thread.

I too feel that the Scot's and Northern Irish have had the best campaigns, and can hold their head high. My only gripe is that I always cheer on the "home nations" (except Wales of course) unless they're playing England, but most Scots and Irish I know just would never cheer on England!

And whats even worse than that Keef is England fans not even cheering on England!

Last night I saw fans booing their own team off the pitch and the pub I was in got a bit lairy too. I can understand the frustration but if England fans were more supportive in defeat I reckon it would actually help the team.

Perhaps I'm naive here but the tartan army celebrate after the a game regardless of the result! And when we DO win we dont really know what to do!

The English players and McClaren are a thick bunch which might seem obvious but that's just what we've become used to. It is possible for players to actually be smart and play intelligently but a culture of cliche peddling dim-wittedness and celebrity vulgarity (and a few other things) has caused English football to rot and become the pathetic mess witnessed last night.

McClaren is so single-geared must have been blind faith on the part of the FA board to think that somehow he'd thrive in a job which requires inspirational motivational skills, excellent man/chav management and strategic and tactical insight. And McClaren sporting a comb-over was a give away. If a man doesn't understand that losing one's hair can be done with some style and dignity there's no way he's smart enough for managing that football team.

But never mind, Beckham wants to play at the 2010 world cup which is great news. So long as he turns out for team USA.

MrBen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And whats even worse than that Keef is England

> fans not even cheering on England!

>

> Last night I saw fans booing their own team off

> the pitch and the pub I was in got a bit lairy

> too. I can understand the frustration but if

> England fans were more supportive in defeat I

> reckon it would actually help the team.

>

> Perhaps I'm naive here but the tartan army

> celebrate after the a game regardless of the

> result! And when we DO win we dont really know

> what to do!

Yes - the majority of fans booed the players off the pitch at the end (although it was not as bad as at the end of the first half. What was worse was the booing when it was announced that Lampard was man of the match - where did that come from??? The only person who was applauded was Beckham though Crouch did acknowledge the crowd and was applauded to a smaller extent.

It was my first time at the new Wembley last night and it was amazing. Unfortunately we got wet before we went in, got wet queueing for the tube and in the middle was a poor game of football.

I was at the game as well - the booing at the end almost drowned out the chants of 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'

Lampard for man of the match was a crap decision, although he wasn't even in the running for worst performance of the night - take your pick from Carson (obviously), Bridge, Campbell, Richards, Barry

Whoever comes in needs to start by getting rid of all this 'golden generation' bollocks - at international level you measure players by how they perform in those games, in which case every England player (with the possible exception of Owen) remains unproven. what was so impressive about Croatia was the consistency of performance throughout their side - true international class throughout the side even if there are few stars

dave & ailing Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lampard for man of the match was a crap decision, although he wasn't even in the running for worst performance of the night - take your pick from Carson (obviously), Bridge, Campbell, Richards, Barry

I didn't realise Lampard had been given man of the match. WTF?!?!?!? His only decent touch of the ball was his penalty, every pass he made went straight to one of their players! Surely over the whole match Croutch deserved it, or even Beckham, who once again showed that he, if no one else in the team, actually cared.

As for your other mentions there, Carson regained his composure well as the game went on, which I think speaks volumes for him, and I believe he will (given some time) be the man between the sticks.

Bridge had an absolute shocker, which is a shame because I like him.

Campbell did his best to keep a dreadful back 4 together.

Richards tried, but he basically ended up running around like a headless chicken.

Barry... I don't even remember hearing his name or seeing him with the ball. I would have liked to have seen him forward in Lampard's place, and had Hargreaves giving the very inexperienced back 4 some cover.

For me, the worst man on the pitch was Joleon Lescott. He tried, but he is way way way out of his league at that level!

I think I actually saw Barry with the ball more than any other player. It's just I think I saw him wasting said ball or giving it to the opposition more than any other player, with possible exception of gerrard. I thought it was Lamps who was fairly anonymous in the game, so much for standing up and being counted.

Agree re Lescott, but talk about being dumped in it and the rest of his team letting him down. It's easier to defend when you have a midfield.

Too true, it's also easier to keep goal when you have a defence ;-)

Maybe you're right about Barry, I just can't remember him being in it much, and can remember some shocking "passes" from Lampard (and Gerrard bless him - thought Beckham was going to shoot him at one point).

My twopenneth.

England underestimated their oponents woefully. Croatia have some raw talented players that would grace many national sides. Puttting in Scott Carson was a joke for this game - why was David James not playing behind Sol Campbell - a mix that works quite nicely at club level - but McLaren would never have seen that because he only attends games at Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, WHL, Anfield and the Emirates. Likewise what the fook was scummer Wayne Bridge doing anywhere near the team? He should not even have been let in to Wembley as a fan!!

The positive is that more and more people are finding Lampard, Gerrard et al out. Not interested in the National Team at all and not motivated to play for their country - well they can fook off.

My last point is to the person in the EDT that managed to get the Croatian fan thrown out. I hope you are proud of yourself if you are reading this!

"If a man doesn't understand that losing one's hair can be done with some style and dignity there's no way he's smart enough for managing that football team. "

His hair not only shows an inability to make the best of limited resources, but also a complete failure to recognise when something isn't really working and make the necessary changes. Can you name a good England manager with a dodgy haircut?

Sorry I will explain. Croatia scored winner. Chap next to me put his hands in the air in celebration. Nobhead behind him jumped on him and started giving him a little aggro, then realsied what a twat he looked and tried to turn it into a joke. Lump of a bouncer comes in and chucks out the Croatian guy. Twat that caused it gets hard stare from ratty.