55 - 65 year olds - where do they go?

Welcomne, I have a few suggestions for you..

Recently at Dulwich Library U3A had a open event, sadly I didn't qualify but think that most of what was going on happened locally.

I am a friend of Carnegie Library and we would love some help painting and sugar soaping the railings outside - we are not that far away and I am sure that there are buses that come to us from East Dulwich. One can park for free but not in the nearby roads between noon and 2pm. I know that the P4 stops more or less outside. We are really desperate for some help and can offer free tea and coffee and if you are lucky, the odd munchie as well.!!

Dulwich Picture Gallery run courses and have talks every month on a particular artist that they are featuring if that appeals.

Hope that is of some use and if anyone obviously subject to weather conditions would like to lend a hand with the railing project then feel free to contact me.

• 2 years later...

Im pleased to tell you that there IS now a Dulwich and district U3A !

For more information go to our website:-

Www.u3asites.org.uk/dulwich

we now have over 40 Interest Groups who meet regularly to learn together. We span a a wide variety of subjects from Archaeology to ukulele and also interesting monthly talks on a wide range of topics.

If interested contact membership secretary from the website or me on EDF

Apparently most of East Dulwich spends it's time riding up and down on the pavement - either a push bike (although only when certain people are watching, so you have to plan carefully), or on a dirt bike (depending on your socio-economic grouping and shopping preferences, so you may or may not be eligible). I assume it's the same for the over 55's, although Louisa may be able clarify.

Personally I've never seen a person in said age group on a bicycle or a motor powered two wheeled vehicle. There's plenty of fun things for the older folk, especially all the lovely green open spaces and long walks available locally. I would recommend a good walk, just try to avoid lazy pavement hogging couples and Bradley wiggins wannabes on the pavement. I wonder if it's possible to get a lambretta and go for a spin down to the coast? Maybe an over 55s club for people wanting to get out there for a nice spin in the country?

Louisa.

Hi

I'm just in your age group! Come out of your safety net... The Montpelier on Choumert Road has a mixed age group, it has a back room cinema which is under going a refurbishment and should be open 2nd week of September (visit their website). The Victoria on Bellenden Road also comprises a mixed age group of people.

Enjoy!

Hi Grumpy Granny, I've just the thing for you! I help run a Bowls & Social club in the area for all ages. Now you may turn your nose up at bowls itself but we exist because of a great group of people who help organise Social and Music events and corporate days at our club. If you want to hang out with us read the details below Hope to see you and anyone else whose fancies it.

The place itself is absolutely beautiful a real hidden Dulwich Gem

Contact details as below:

We cater for beginners, proficient and elite bowlers.

SOUTHWARK SPORTS BOWLS & SOCIAL CLUB, The Clubhouse, Dulwich Common S.E.21 7EU

Where do the 54 year old go?

It frustrates me that once you reach a certain age you're expected to stop living life or suddenly change how you live. Why?

I appreciate in this instance ideas are being sought in general but surely it should come down to what you enjoy doing

Martin W. Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Grumpy Granny, I've just the thing for you! I

> help run a Bowls & Social club in the area for all

> ages. Now you may turn your nose up at bowls

> itself but we exist because of a great group of

> people who help organise Social and Music events

> and corporate days at our club. If you want to

> hang out with us read the details below Hope to

> see you and anyone else whose fancies it.

> The place itself is absolutely beautiful a real

> hidden Dulwich Gem

>

> Contact details as below:

>

> We cater for beginners, proficient and elite

> bowlers.

> Contact: Martin - email address:

> [email protected]

> SOUTHWARK SPORTS BOWLS & SOCIAL CLUB, The

> Clubhouse, Dulwich Common S.E.21 7EU

> Website: www.bowls4fun.co.uk or google bowls4fun

xxxxxxx

I have been to the club and the setting is absolutely amazing - completely hidden until you get to it, and really beautiful.

I also dislike age apartheid and think pursuits that encourage integration of all age groups is healthier for society. I would not want to be hived off into groups that only have elderly people. Equally teens should be encouraged to mix with older people and to value them.

Toad in the hole is the new bowls. I loved playin it. Any boozer in the area sets one of them up, I'm all over it like a dog eatin beans.

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I loved playing bowls

>

> And I fancy playing again, to capitalise on my

> youth

>

> *ahem*