Vomit on the 176 (Lounged)

seanmlow

tsk tsk tsk peasants.

its all about how you speak to the driver fellow

"You go South of the River mate ?" = No chance/ Im on me way home / im on me break /im going to a prearranged booking etc etc etc

"East Dulwich ? "= Yes guv no problem

( its amazing how ED has got a reputation for being " nice" nowadays)

I'm sure there's a rule that if your destination is less than 6 miles away - they have to take you. I think it's disgusting when I'm by myself quite late at night and a cabbie won't take me to ED. I let them know that too! (6) But I believe that if you take their number, you can report them for refusing.

Annasfield Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm sure there's a rule that if your destination

> is less than 6 miles away - they have to take you.

> I think it's disgusting when I'm by myself quite

> late at night and a cabbie won't take me to ED. I

> let them know that too! (6) But I believe that if

> you take their number, you can report them for

> refusing.

But they can also claim a legitimate excuse every time - eg was on my way home and was only looking for a fare towards Chigwell etc - you cant win

Ive been refused at Heathrow - openly laughed at by the entire rank when I went down and tried very single cab to go to SE22 - sober/ in a suit/ cash fare - had to get heathrow express

I spoke to the rank captain fellow who effectively said they can do what they want and there is f*ck all chance of you making a case unless you happen to be a copper/ magistrate/ GLA official or suchlike - they dont like going too far as the chances of them getting another fare back for SE22 to their base at Heathrow is low to say the least - Chelsea or Kensington no problem, but no SE London - they prefer foreigners who will tip heavily & may not know the quickest way to their destination - speaking like a resident who knwos his geography will get you nowhere

wating in the rank for an hour and faced with a fareless ride back to T4 isnt in their wishlist.

Since that day, I find it hard to give them the benefit of the doubt - which is sad for the majority of cabbies who are probably straight and deserve better

Subject to a few conditions (the first of which is that you are starting in town somewhere rather than an airport), with a licenced black cab you are perfectly entitled to insist that a cab takes you (obviously it's easier when you've actually persuaded them to stop). The tfl website handily outlines these conditions as "what you can expect":- http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/1140.aspx.

Basically when you hail a cab and it stops and it has its light on, the driver ought to accept any fare of less than 12 miles within Greater London - and if they refuse they need a good reason. "I'm looking for a fare which is on my way home" is not a good reason.

Make it clear that you know the rules and the "I don't go south of the river" merchants soon seem to see sense (and do their job...)

Saying that, I have had good experiences with minicabs, both licenced and un-licenced as well. Wouldn't necessarily recommend them all, but it works for me.

Hmm...what started as a throwaway comment "sorry guv, don't go south of the river" has grown legs and arms. To be honest I haven't had any trouble getting a taxi back from the West End for more than 20 years. However, on the odd occasions when I have ordered a cab (not a black taxi) from a restaurant some of them do try and rip you off. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I ordered a cab from J.Sheekey (lovely fish restaurant in St Martins Place) and the cabbie charged me ?40!!!! I know it's no more than ?30 so we had a bit of an exchange of words. Rather than argue with him I gave him his 40 quid but I was damned if he was gonna get a tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to get a cab at 11.30 on Bishopsgate last night. There were four of us and I when I flagged the cab, he pulled over all smiles. I said East Dulwich please - his smile dropped and said "sorry love". When I reminded him that ED is within 12 miles and that I'd like his number, you should have seen the speed at which he drove off.

I was not impressed - I did get his number though!

Good for you - let us know how it goes. I would say 9 times out of 10 they do agree to take me/us (even if some tutting is involved) but that one time they don't is when you really need the cab...

And Bishopsgate to ED is quite a cushy ride for a fair whack as well for them - dunno what their problem is. They are probably vampires and can't cross water after dark or summat

• 1 month later...

Had a response from TFL

Your complaint has been investigated which involved providing the driver with a copy of your complaint (data protected, no personal details given) for comment.

The only sanctions available to us are to issue a warning or to suspend or revoke the driver?s licence. As you can appreciate the loss of a licence deprives a self-employed individual of the ability to work at their chosen profession and could be seen as disproportionate in respect of a single lapse in the standard of service provided.

Nevertheless, complaints are recorded on driver?s files and if a pattern of complaints and poor behaviour emerges, a driver?s continued fitness to remain licensed is reviewed. If on the balance of probabilities, the Licensing Authority feels that the driver?s conduct is not satisfactory his licence may be suspended or revoked.

The details of this letter together with yours has been noted and placed on file. The driver?s future behaviour will be monitored closely to ensure that this was an isolated incident and not a regular feature of his work.

Just thought you might be interested.