Moving to ED.

I'm currently in the States, I live in West Union, Ohio.

I'm going to pack up and goto ED when I have my money saved up,

What would be the best steps to take once I get to ED, Since I

Will be homeless and jobless for a while. Thank you for taking your

time to read this. =)

YOU MAY HAVE to couch surf with all this lot until your life gets organised . how do you propose to save up ?and why change your life so drastically ? you could do a life swap with me and we' ll see if we want to make the big move more permanent ? um i could be joking :}

=P What is couch surf might I ask? I'm currently seeking a job in Ohio til I save up about 1-2 grand then I'm going to buy my ticket and with what I have left, Have it exchanged for quids =P I've always wanted to live in the U.K since I was a little kid. Rofl. You would hate it living here. It's horrible.

Holy Toledo! Got a mate living in Ohio, and he reckons its not so bad, he even sent me some Hostess Twinkies >:D< ...

Good luck though! :)) Make sure you buy a patch of the Canadian flag to sew on your bag, that way if you come across some anti American criticism over here (highly likely) you can quickly and easily escape the flak :)) .

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you're going to need to save twice as much as you think you do. Currently one of our pounds (or quids)is going to cost you just over two dollars.

Couch surfing is a refined art, or so I hear, never having surfed nor had my sofa comandeered. First you find yourself a friendly looking pub, then you select a friendly looking group (no shortage of those in ED!) to regale with humourous tales of your homeland, college days etc. It is important at this stage to ensure you have sufficient funds to stand your own rounds, thus coming across as a throughly decent sort. Then just as you are leaving the pub at closing time, someone will ask that all important question "so where are you staying mate?" - that's when you hit them with it! Guaranteed to get at least two offers of a couch!

So..Say I was to come over with about 1-2000 American dollars, Would that 500 or 1000quids get me a nice apartment,

Until I found a job? I'm seriously nervous about this -_- It will be the first time I've left the U.S. =( Don't wanna,

End up homeless and jobless there. =( How far from London is ED btw? I was told I could travel straight from Ohio to Gatwick.

Is ED a bit ways from Gatwick by any chance?

So what would be the ideal amount of, American dollars to bring? Of course you can exchange American dollars to Quids and Pences when I land in Gatwick right? How would I go about getting to ED from Gatwick? Is there a train that connects them?

Plus. I'm sort of a shy person, I don't think I could ask to couch surf =( I heard that once I come over to London, I will be considered a Immigrant until I take some tests or something to that. With that right there, Would th U.K Government supply me with room, food and a job?

the minmum wage is about 5.55 per hour something like that which is about eleven or twelve dollars

hey do some reading down and out in london and paris by george orwell

or 'on the road' jack kerouac these will give you no practical advice but are required reading for youngsters like your self ...erm india would make your dollars go much further by the way and theres a rough guide to india which will answer all your questions

:} not that we dont want you in in east dulwich you understand ..........

kyle monrose finally makes it to ed to find the cpt desserted with tumble weed

ok ok i know thats how it always looks :}

Hi Kyle

Gatwick airport is someway to the south of London, you need to get a train from Gatwick to London Bridge station and then a train from London Bridge to East Dulwich station. I suggest you buy an "A to Z" of London (its a street map book) from WH Smiths (a magazine and book shop) a either Gatwick or London Bridge.

As a US citizen you wont be eligible for state benefits, do you have a work visa? Some places might take you on without one, but it would be difficult.

Not sure that ED is the bestplace to start for a place to stay in the first instance. If you are on a limited budget you might want to search for the Travellers Hostels that cater for young travellers - there are a few near London Bridge (St Christophers and the Dover Castle for instance) there are many over in West London in ad around Earls Court.

I'm currently only researching right now, First I'm going to work on my passport than work visa, My father told me that,

If I wanted to live in London, I would have to have a job and the work visa, And I could keep renewing the work visa to stay as

long as I want. I don't know if he is correct or not. I've already read up on some Hostels, I'm iffy about it though, Since I've recently bought a brand new compaq laptop. Plus after seeing the movie "Hostel" I don't know If I want to stay or even be around a Hostel =P I'm really excited about comming to your country. I've always wanted to since I was little. How would I go about becomming a British citizen? I know of course I would have to take a test on it, But wouldn't I have to live or work in London for 2-4 years? I really appreciated all the information you all have given me on this. =)

Hello Kyle - London is a great city, but it is an expensive city - come with plenty of money (enough to last you a couple of months)and make sure you have your air ticket home. It can easily take you 6 weeks to find a room and a job. You might have to be prepared to couch surf if you don't have the funds for a room in a shared house - (and remember for a room you will probably have to pay a months rent up front and probably a deposit too.). Unless you have rich parents or a trust fund you should forget renting an entire apartment.

I would advise you to look on gumtree.com for an idea of the types of jobs you might be able to get. It also lists rooms for rent and couches for rent (couch surfing - look under flats/house shares - offers) http://www.gumtree.com/london-flatshare-offered.html.

Good luck

All you need to to Kyle is marry a Latvian/Lithuanian/Welsh girl. You should be able to pick one up for about ?4,000 but you'd have to pay more for a looker or if you wanted to actually meet her. There are websites that can help.

As soon as you're an EU pasport holder then you're in. Unless it's Romanian or Hungarian. Don't get on e of those just because she's a bargain and claims that she loves you. You might end up working in McDonalds in Oradea.

Michael Palaeologus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Kyle

>

> Gatwick airport is someway to the south of London,

> you need to get a train from Gatwick to London

> Bridge station and then a train from London Bridge

> to East Dulwich station. I suggest you buy an "A

> to Z" of London (its a street map book) from WH

> Smiths (a magazine and book shop) a either Gatwick

> or London Bridge.

>

> As a US citizen you wont be eligible for state

> benefits, do you have a work visa? Some places

> might take you on without one, but it would be

> difficult.

>

> Not sure that ED is the bestplace to start for a

> place to stay in the first instance. If you are on

> a limited budget you might want to search for the

> Travellers Hostels that cater for young travellers

> - there are a few near London Bridge (St

> Christophers and the Dover Castle for instance)

> there are many over in West London in ad around

> Earls Court.

forget all that just post a message mid-atlantic as to your arrival time and someone will pick you up.