Missing post since sorting office moved to peckham

Re Sue's post above. I don't know how the system works. But if the Peckham office deals with the processing of mail leaving the area then I assume it would be a good idea not to post Christmas parcels from local post offices this year. Could someone who knows more about how the postal system operates confirm?

I have had a problem with a parcel posted out of LL recently not arriving. I'm now chasing that up. But post can go astray every now and then, no matter what route it's taken. I'm just trying to establish what depot post gets sent to once it's left local post offices ie LL. If it's via Peckham then I'll post elsewhere for the time being.

There are 38 or so Mail Centres in the UK where all collected mail is taken -- I assume on the same day -- for industrial scale sorting. Our nearest ones are Croydon and Mount Pleasant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mail#Mail_centres But that leaves the question: who does the low level collection from pillar boxes, etc, and do they make any use of the Peckham Delivery Office?

I suspect a friendly postie might be a good source of information. I wouldn't discourage asking RM Enquiries, if only for the opportunity it offereed of expressing concern about Peckham DO. I dare say RM does have figures on numbers of reported losses logged at various centres but would want to keep them confidential. The casess of theft and of mailbags left in a cupboard, that were reported at the recent DCC meeting, were, btw, about the SE21 Delivery Office.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> singalto Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> > At the meeting, Craig Wallace said that every

> > sorting office in the country had heard of the

> > Sylvester road sorting office because they

> > always needed extra staff. According to him, it?s the

> > only one in the country with those problem which

> > is why he decided to close it a month after

> > arriving there!!

>

> The decision surely can't have been taken at his level.

According to my notes a planning team had been working on the transfer for a year and a half when he moved into his current ?regional oprations manager post in June. He took the decision on the timing of the transfer, bearing in mind that the service quality ratings for Silvester Road typically fell to 75-80% in November/December. He also said that there would be a lag of 5-6 weeks in bringing the staff levels up to standard, as there were personal security checks of new staff that had to be made.

I don't recollect noticing any actual institutional or personal grandiosity in his presentation.

ianr Wrote:

>

> I suspect a friendly postie might be a good source

> of information. I wouldn't discourage asking RM

> Enquiries, if only for the opportunity it offereed

> of expressing concern about Peckham DO.

That's a good idea Ian. Thanks.

Has anybody submitted a complaint? I did and was told that the sender could claim for missing post. Think it's fairly unlikely that my bank and utility company will bother going down this route though. When I first moved in my post was unreliable and they monitored post to my address for a period (letters arriving with a sticker saying 'if this arrives after x date' etc.). This time around RM aren't interested in helping. I've been sent a final order from my old utility company for a 'late' payment. The first letter never arrived and I have several bank statements outstanding.

Hello Nina-maniana ,

I will make this very quick [ I have no time to read through all the replies and comments here ] ....

We have ALL been experiencing MISSING post AND parcels , I know it is definitely because of the closure of the Silvester Road Sorting Office and the excess strain Highshore Road Peckham branch is enduring .

The Peckham Sorting office is now an open potential gold-mine , the combination of excess post/parcels and the lack of 'traditionally normal' levels of staff/employees {that keep an eye on each other } makes security at the sorting office extremely weak [ antiquated CCTV ] and temp workers do take advantage of this situation .

I have had missing post and parcels I did not receive by HMRC , solicitors , Banks [ yes , including replacement debit cards 8 frigg'n times! ] , AliExpress , DHGate , Ebay and Amazon .

What can be done ?

Well , not much to stop the physical missing activity { lets be honest -theft! }

However :

The purchases can be refunded if under Ebay, AliExpress and Amazon guidelines and their each own guarantee .

or stop buying online altogether ! - drastic I know !

As for the banks , as much as I hate to say this since Barclays have closed the Brockley branch and will be closing the PeckhamRye/Heaton Road branch ...

...if you do use them , and use mobile banking , you can use the App on your mobile to disable ALL or individual debit/credit cards at a press of a button (even the ones being sent to you in the post! )...

I used to be a big Halifax user , but since the closing of ED sorting office and MY debit cards going missing I have had NO other choice but to move to Barclays Bank in ED :-<

I wish these stupid idiocratic cut-backs would stop , at this rate where will managers make their money ? and before the British Public get mega-p@ssed off with it all ?!

I wish you all good luck , we will need it .

What is strange is that we (in Adys Rd) have always been covered by Highshore Rd and have never had the issues with theft. I can understand delayed mail due to the backlog moved from Silvester Rd only affecting the old Silvester Rd routes, but why does the theft all seems to be concentrated in those routes too?

but why does the theft all seems to be concentrated in those routes too?

If it is, it may reflect the use of new and temporary posties (who may not have been fully vetted) on the new routes, with the old routes still being covered by existing Peckham post-people. It may also just be anecdotal.

To add to this, my post is missing I'm not saying it's been stolen. I'm more concerned about a backlog that has resulted in postal delays and with the festive period fast approaching, I think it's unlikely I'll see my missing post again. I rarely now get mail more than once a week.

I ordered three items online on 21 November which I need for next week. They are all gifts.

All were sent around the same time.

The one via a courier arrived a couple of days after it was despatched (might have been the day after, can't remember).

The two via Royal Mail have still not arrived. One was despatched on 22 and one on 23 November.

I have had virtually no post this week at all.

How on earth are they going to cope at Christmas? I thought that was the supposed reason the office was moved from Silvester Road?

MatthewGBCN Wrote:

>

> However :

> The purchases can be refunded if under Ebay,

> AliExpress and Amazon guidelines and their each

> own guarantee .

Perhaps you should have clarified this by advising that it is not Ebay or Amazon who bear the cost of the refund but the private seller (ie the sender) who uses these platforms.

As a small local business that uses Ebay, I incur a total loss on every package that Royal Mail fails to deliver. Plus as a Royal Mail Business Account holder there is no facility to make a claim for recompense from Royal Mail. I dont even get the cost of postage refunded.

So the customer gets a refund or replacement and the small business supplier is entirely out of pocket.

Hi tomdhu ,

I am sorry that I may have somewhat irritated you with what I said , however , I want you to know that what I stated was not a way to cheat [ an attack of sorts on ] Ebays/Amazon sellers , I was only giving MY perspective from the view of the 'Customer' . - I hope you did not take what I said as some sort of insult on your sector of proffession .

I totally empathise with anyone and everyone , that tries to earn a living and starts making noticeable or heavy losses in their business .

...I will say this , although it maybe toooo late now [ although there is always a smidgen of hope ] , I wish WE ALL banded together and make the managers at the TOP realise their f@ck-up and with a tiny bit of hope , reopen or find another property/venue/site to replace our beloved Silvester Road RM Sorting Office .

...Altough , I have come to realise in life , that , not all dreams come true :-/

tomdhu Wrote:

> MatthewGBCN Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> > However :

> > The purchases can be refunded if under Ebay,

> > AliExpress and Amazon guidelines and their each

> > own guarantee .

>

> Perhaps you should have clarified this by advising

> that it is not Ebay or Amazon who bear the cost of

> the refund but the private seller (ie the sender)

> who uses these platforms.

>

>

> As a small local business that uses Ebay, I incur

> a total loss on every package that Royal Mail

> fails to deliver. Plus as a Royal Mail Business

> Account holder there is no facility to make a

> claim for recompense from Royal Mail. I dont even

> get the cost of postage refunded.

>

> So the customer gets a refund or replacement and

> the small business supplier is entirely out of

> pocket.

Hi tomdhu - I imagine it?s tine consuming and not always successful, but there is a claim facility for business account holders, here https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/648/~/how-to-make-a-claim---royal-mail-business-account

I sent a mega complaint to Helen Hayes the CEO of Royal Mail and the operations manager around 10 days ago. Since then I have had emails back and forth with Royal Mail and an acknowledgement from a Helen Hayes that she is collating all the complaints and raising them at a higher government level. How this hasn?t made the news yet is beyond me though. We have had fraud on our accounts because of intercepted cards, one was an American Express who are very good about fraud, the banks not so much! I?ve been at the sorting office three time this week to collect packages from supposed missed deliveries despite me both being home, having no call alerts on the ring doorbell we have and no postal note just an email to say the item couldn?t be delivered and needs to be collected. Obviously everyone is having problems but it?s really important they are all raised to both Craig and Andrew at Royal Mail and Helen Hayes so that the severity of this issue is highlighted. All I can urge you to do is keep at them and cause them such a headache that they are forced to do something

Today a lot of missing mail and parcels were all delivered (2 van deliveries and a postie). I had written to complain, copied to Ms Hayes. They're in a mess and without a real plan to get them out of it, fire-fighting only when it comes to complaints. This closure and move had never been properly planned - and the button to do this should only have been pressed when senior management knew everything was in place to make it happen properly. Change management is non-trivial; I suspect proper change managers were never deployed, and a change plan never fully adumbrated or signed-off.

I am quite happy to accept that Silvester Road was no longer fit-for-purpose or offered a quality work-place. However, its convenience (regards location etc.) to SE22 residents was part of its 'delivery' - and replacing that should have been planned for as much as anything else. The managers clearly forgot (although they were reminded by Helen Hayes) what the totality of their service was all about.

At this stage all that can remedy this is additional resources (a proper plan would have come much cheaper) - but Royal Mail is in a royal mess financially...Hey ho and roll on Christmas!