Chloresterol - how to lower without statins?

Minitoots

Please watch this vid. Dr Michael Gregor is my hero! He reviews clinical studies and gives honest and accurate advice about all things diet and health related.

Order some amla powder online (dried Indian gooseberries) for around 6 quid for 100g. Just one teaspoon a day mixed in with a smoothie or water (though it tastes bad!) And it should apparently lower your cholesterol as well as or even better than any statin can. Have just given my mum the same advice so I am very keen to see if this works as well as its reported to.

I ordered from a company called golden greens online just because I got the impression that it is a good quality product.

Good luck!

Would also recommend watch many other of his videos. So much good unbiased advice.

Increasing fibre in your diet also helps, Vegetable based fibre binds to cholesterol, and stops it from absorbing into the bloodstream. Grain based fibres are ok, however Bell peppers, Aubergine and artichokes are great sources of fibre.

Artichoke contains a rich source of Inulin, which has been found to help reduce cholesterol levels, also helps with sleep and blood sugar regulation.

Try eating a high anti inflammatory diet, cut out sugars and wheat. High cholesterol can be a factor of high inflammation.

Good luck

monica Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Artichoke contains a rich source of Inulin, which

> has been found to help reduce cholesterol levels,

> also helps with sleep and blood sugar regulation.

You can also buy Inulin as a powder (derived from chicory).

It is completely tasteless, you just sprinkle a teaspoon of it over food (or you can dissolve it in liquid).

It was recommended to me by a hospital consultant, not for reducing cholesterol, just for general gut health.

It's on offer at Holland and Barrett at the moment, don't know if Health Matters stock it?

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/bioglan-inulin-powder-60009726

ETA: A packet lasts for ages!

Exercise helped me... struggled with cholesterol levels around 7.9 to 8, someone recommended the couch to 5k running app, takes just takes 30 mins of your time 3 x a week over nine weeks. you just start with gentle walking and light jogging,in small bursts, building up to you running 5k at the end in 30 mins.

My cholesterol went down to 3.2 and still is. I kept up with the running after I finished the app and will now be running the london marathon next year 😀

• 7 months later...

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lots of good tips for health including cholesterol

> in How Not to Die by Michael Greger.

This excellent book is now my eating bible (not to lower cholesterol, just to help improve my general health which has been bad this past year). There is also a separate cookbook which gives a summary of the main book at the start.

I've been following the guidelines and recipes for a few weeks now, apart from having a dash of milk in my tea (and when eating away from home if there aren't plant based options that I fancy).

I like the fact that the diet recommendations in the book are all based on sound scientific research.

Also Dr Greger gives profits from the book etc to charity.

There is also a website:

https://nutritionfacts.org/

I was warned not all fats are bad. The kind of saturated fat you find in dairy is obviously not good for cholesterol. I also don?t think prawns are very good in that department. But really, to lower cholesterol you just need to stick to a balanced diet. Unless you have a specific health problem.

Louisa.

I had normal cholesterol and a normal ratio (good/bad) but extremely high triglycerides (500 (mg/dL). I had them rechecked and they were normal again. I think having had the blood drawn after a large meal skewed it, so if you're having high levels perhaps it is worth checking again before embarking on any drug regime? (Dr said the second test should be fasting but other sources said non-fasting was the right way to get accurate trig. readings, so no idea who is right!)

What Are the Symptoms of Cholesterol Problems?

A high level of cholesterol in the blood doesn't have obvious symptoms, but it can increase your risk for conditions that do have symptoms, including angina (chest pain caused by heart disease), high blood pressure, stroke, and other circulatory ailments. Also:

Also:

Soft, yellowish growths or lesions on the skin called xanthomas may indicate a genetic predisposition to cholesterol problems.

Many people who are obese or have diabetes also have high cholesterol.

In men, impotence may be caused by arteries affected by excessive blood cholesterol.

?But really, to lower cholesterol you just need to stick to a balanced diet.?

Unfortunately, some people will develop high cholesterol even if they?re on a balanced diet, their bodies will manufacture it.

John L - I would say getting a blood test at 50 is a good idea. Better to get it tested before symptoms develop so if you have high cholesterol you are able to take steps to reduce it before it becomes a problem.

• 8 months later...
To help lower cholesterol, start by losing excess weight and eating heart-healthy foods. My boyfriend had the same problems as you and I realized that it was time to help him with it because it is very difficult for people to suddenly start eating right and lose weight. I started cooking him only healthy meals with protein, complex carbohydrates, and a little fat. Then we started going to the gym together. His health condition improved greatly and we both became fit and gained muscle mass. We found an article about nootropics docarzt.com that help to fill up with energy before training, we think now that we should try to drink them instead of gainer.

I have been superbly successful in getting mine down by change of diet to the extent that I am now off statins completely:-

Breakfast:-

1. Fruit & nut muesli

2. Oat bran (1.5 spoonfuls)

3. Soya milk

Mix and leave to soak overnight in fridge

Lunch

1. Broccoli florets (Raw)

2. Plum tomatoes

3. Red grapes

4. Braeburn apple

5. Tzatziki

Mix in blender then dress with olive oil.

(The broccoli/tomato mix is benefit is greater than the sum of the parts)

Dinner:-

Small portion of fish or chicken with 3 different veg.

)h, and the odd glass of Syrah

Works for me!

About 2 years ago I switched to only eating red meat once a week, and eating a lot more salad. When I had my last health check last August I was told my good cholesterol had gone up, my bad cholesterol had gone down. I have also noticed I no longer suffer from acid reflux which had bothered me for years previously ......