New vets off Barry road

With pet ownership high, it is estimated 43% of households in the UK have at least one furry, feathery or scaly family friend, it came as no surprise to me that there is another vet opened up in this area. To be honest, when I moved here 9 years ago I was shocked at the lack choice but also thankful, that I was not paying a premium just due to lack of competition.

I have been with Lordship Lane vets since moving here and I trust them whole-heartedly with my little treasures. I have found they are caring and give good advice. I had an emergency with one of my cats just as they were closing on a Saturday and they stayed open for me to bring her down. She was indeed very sick and I was lucky to get her to them when I did, it was her welfare that was most important to them and not the clock.

If you are with Lordship Lane Vets and have concerns, chat with them, they are all very approachable. I?m loving the sound of cat only evenings, but I would still not hesitate to go other times as I am able to wait in the quiet shop area if any of my cats are getting stressed, I just let the receptionist know where I?ll be.

I will be staying with Lordship Lane Vets, but also wish the new vets good luck as I think there is space for them both in the pet loving borough.

Amber dealt brilliantly with a very distressed dog, woman and child today, when our little charge was attacked in Peckham Rye Park. He's not registered with the practice, but that made no difference. She treated him immediately and was calm, unflappable, sympathetic and professional

I would NOT HESITATE to recommend the practice.

I switched to Neighbourhood Vets a few weeks ago as my previous vets was in Norwood - too far without a car. I can't recommend them highly enough. Amber and Suzanne are absolutely lovely ladies and my dog has already had an operation performed by Amber. The operation went really well and I was really impressed by how Amber took the time to really explain exactly what she needed to do and how she'd do it. Plus lovely friendly receptionists to boot. They are obviously all passionate about animals - and that's the reason why they are vets (not in it for the money). Amber also put my dog on a diet and he's much more sprightly as a result - I suggest they branch out into a human weight watchers as a sideline (if only I could eat kibble... )

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add another recommendation for the Neighbourhood vets.

After a couple of very unsatisfactory experiences at my last local vet, I took my cat to see Amber, and she instantly recognised the problem correctly as an overactive thyroid. Tests were taken to confirm, they came back and we were given the correct medication so that within 2 weeks my cat's thyroid levels are well on the way back to normal, from being at a stage where they were affecting other organs.

Amber has also explained the ongoing care that will be required, and what I need to do to claim on insurance (something I've never done before). All in all a very positive experience, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

As to the other vets I mentioned, I'm still waiting for a response to my request to look into a couple of very unsatisfactory misdiagnoses. That was a couple of weeks ago. Maybe this message will prompt a response.

My goodness what an area of pet overs we all are, nothing like a good pet story to get the forum going.

As if they need it, but the neighbourhood vet has our big sel of approval. We and our lovely little cat Bridget love them.

Its gets our thumbs up.

I would love to change to the Neighbourhood Vets (currently at Lordship Lane) for my two cats as the reviews sound fab and they're more conveniently located - however (and I freely admit this is only based on one experience) when we tried to get an emergency appointment for an injured paw on Monday they could only see us in the afternoon - versus LL vet who are always happy to squeeze in emergencies and did so for us at 9am. As we both work we rely on this kind of flexibility as well as the ongoing care and support the Neighbourhood Vets sound like they're very skilled at.

• 1 month later...

I have 7 cats and a further 2 that have since passed. All of my cats have at some point or another had to have vet treatment and all of this carried out at Lordship Lane Vet Clinic.

I imagine the Barry Road one is very nice and shiny and it sounds like they give very good service, but I urge you, if you leave your regular vet for this one without it being due to total dissatisfaction with your regular vet, you must consider the implications it has for them. Understandably, moving from a Bromley vet to Barry Road when you live in ED is more than a good enough reason. I do know that Barry Road is quite a lot more expensive that Lordship Lane and I also know that money is not an issue when it comes to my cats health, but after what I have been through in the last 6 months I felt I had to share.

Last December I came home to find Mignon hiding and discovered his tail was completely dead and blood coming from his boys bits. It was late at night so I secured him and rushed him to Lordship Lane vet first thing the next morning without an appointment (they are quite used to me doing that, as soon one of my cats sneezes, there I am rushing them to vet in a panic without calling first). And as usual I was in tears but the receptionists were their kind reassuring selves and I was seen straight away. My poor boy had his tail amputated that day and to make it worse, the damage to the nerves means he can no longer wee and I have to express him and give him medication twice a day. The vet called me as soon as he was out of surgery and the receptionists never moaned about my constant phone calls. He stayed in and I was allowed to visit when I wanted and received full training on how to express his bladder. WhenI took him home the vet gave me her personal mobile number as it was the weekend incase I had problems. I used her number quite a few times to text concerns and I never failed to get the reply I needed. Mignon has since been going almost weekly for acupuncture which really does benefit his bladder and well being, the vet also referred me to a holistic vet who does electro-acupuncture which benefits him even more. This vet is based in North London but my vet arranged for her to treat Mignon at their surgery for no extra cost.

About 6 weeks ago I came home to find that Beau, Mignon's brother (both 18 mths old) had a broken tail, the vets was closed so I texted my vet and she asked a few questions and assessed he would be ok until morning, so there I am again, first thing the next day in tears with no appointment. My vet was not there that day so I had to see another one, he was operated on that day and I was called straight after surgery. Fortunately there was no damage to his bladder and only a third of his tail had to be amputated and because they know me, he was allowed to come home the same day. Beau was not himself when he was home I was concerned about his remaining tail as it became very bruised, again I texted and my vet and I was advised to bring him in. We tried more anti-biotics and arnica and more pain relief but this sadly did not work and a couple of days later he was there again to have the remainder of his tail removed.

I also took my big shaggy Maine Coon in to be groomed as he developed some awful knots due to the wet weather despite being groomed by me. Whilst he was there I received a call fron the vet to say she had heard him breathing rather oddly and had therefore given him a full check up and although he is fine his heart rate was very fast so we need to ge a cardiac scan as his brother had died of a heart clot, so yet more worry and expense, but when I went to pick him the vet was so reassuring and had spoken to my usual vet to get advise on what to tell me as she knew I was already going through a lot, I found this very touching. I also do not hink I was charged for the check up, and talking about money, although as I said money is not an issue when it comes to my cats, but I do still need enough left to feed them, I am pretty sure they have done me some favours on the bills that I do not know about and have also treated my cats knowing I could not pay until the next week or whenever.

So what I hope you gather from rather long story is that if you are happy with your vet and have built up a relationship such as I have, I could not dream of going to a nice new clinic and potentially remove business from my regular vet, what if so many other of their clients moved to the shiny new place and they had to close down, after what they have done that would be evil. And what if I or my cats did not like shiny new vets, my wonderful regular vet would not be there to go back too! Please also remember, especially with dogs that consistency is important, going to the vet is very stressful for any animal, but if they know the vet it can make a world of difference to them.

I shall never leave Lordship Lane vets as they have been so wonderful and gone above and beyond for my cats and for me and not just because it is their job and I pay them. I hope Barry Road does do well, but do not leave a good relationship for something shiny and new when your pet has always received the best care before.

And you never know, maybe my story will convince you that Lordship lane are the best and try them or not to leave them.

The Cats Mutha Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Last December I came home to find Mignon hiding

and discovered his tail was completely dead and

blood coming from his boys bits. It was late at

night so I secured him and rushed him to Lordship

Lane vet first thing the next morning without an

appointment

Didn't you think it would've been better to rush the poor animal to the emergency vet? You could only see the external injuries and would've had no idea whether there were any internal ones.

Edited because some of my post was more arguementative and frankly none of my business and the rest I'd already posted on this thread.

I used to go to Lordship Lane vets and always had exemplary service - but the convenience of having a Vets 10 minutes walk across the Rye has made me switch and I was very pleased with the service I got. Not better than Lordship Lane but as good and a whole lot nearer.

bossboss, thank you for editing your response as I did feel the original was a little personal and hurtful at that. I think you can see from my post that my cats are extremely important to me and the only reason I called BR vet new and shiny and did not mention what you posted about service etc is because I get all of that at LL, new and shiny was all I had that I thought was different between the two.

But in response to your now edited post, my story was very long and I ommitted details to make it shorter. I did call for advice when I found him and the blood did not appear until the following morning. I spent pretty much the whole night awake caring for him and ensuring he was not in pain. Had I been advised to take him straight to the emergency vet I would have done immediately. I hope that answers your query.

As I said, I do hope that Barry Road does well and they do sound very good but although it is closer to me than LL, after what I have been through with them I felt I just wanted to share my thoughts on a forum where everyone is entitled to their own opinion and support the vets practice that without whom I am not sure what I would have done.

Hi blucanary,

We are not sure what happened to Mignon, it is possible he trapped his tail and yanked to get it out fracturing the base of his spine. There was no external injury and his claws were intact so it dod not appear to be a road accident, it is also possible he was kicked, but I do not want to think about that...

Beau's claws were all shredded and it was a clean break about two thirds of the way down his tail so this was more likely a road accident where a car ran over that part of tail.

I know, and before anyone says it, I would love to keep my cats locked up and am looking at securing my garden, but I spent my whole life obsessed with cats, rearing them, loving them, reading about them and even did a cat psychology course and I am a believer of letting cats be cats. I have suffered for this as you can see, but my cats are happy and fulfilled with their life and at times, life is just life no matter how painful.

Whilst I haven't got any complaints with the service provided by the vets at Lordship Lane, I will happily pay more to go to the new practice, just to avoid the Receptionist at LL, who must be the most unhelpful, rudest woman I have ever encountered in this sort of job. If my cats didn't get so traumatised by the car journey, I would have gone elsewhere years ago.

Growlybear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whilst I haven't got any complaints with the

> service provided by the vets at Lordship Lane, I

> will happily pay more to go to the new practice,

> just to avoid the Receptionist at LL, who must be

> the most unhelpful, rudest woman I have ever

> encountered in this sort of job.

Totally agree with you and it seems mentioning this to the vets does nothing too. Tis a shame.

We've been with Lordship Lane Vets on and off for way over 30 years and seen it go through many different ways of management. Sadly the present time is not really at its best. Out of convenience we continue to use them - Fred isn't too keen on bus journeys.

Although we've given the vets in Herne Hill a go recently - the average kinda thing. Going to check out the Barry Road one.

i would like 2 say i took my very poorly tortoise to the new vets and i was really happy with the service i got they were very friendly and very cheap, i will use them again, and my tortoise is now alot better 2 ....... yay...

• 2 weeks later...
i previously went to LL vets and have now moved my 2 cats over to Mayow vets in sydenham a 5-10min drive away the vet Amy is wounderfull and the other staff are also very helpfull the cost is cheaper and i find the service much improved i would never change back or move.

• 11 months later...
Spent 15 minutes with my cat at the Neighbourhood Veterinary Centre and came out ?219 poorer, ?45.60 of which was for a simple blood pressure check. I feel robbed and won't be going back. They're very nice there but there's clearly an assumption that the locals are all made of money.

Gosh that does sound a lot. I'm still with Lordship Lane Vets and very happy with them. Although I don't have Pet Insurance I am comfortable that we can pay bills as needed, but realise that's not the situation for all animal owners.

I wouldn't assume the Vets think we're all made of money but perhaps they face the inflated costs of running a business in London as many others do?