New vets off Barry road

I have also had a great experience with The Neighbourhood Vets. I have had to go a few times for different things and each time Amber has taken a lot of time and been very thorough. My dog has recurring ear infections and Amber spent time with me teaching me how to clean and monitor my dogs ears myself so that I can hopefully prevent infections in the future. I also saw Suzanne who was super pragmatic and my dog loved her (always a good sign). It is great to have them just a walk away!

our 14yr old cat had to have several teeth out there this week, couldn't have been happier with the service, we wanted a second opinion after not being entirely happy with our regular vet...it all seemed a bit rushed.

The new vets wouldn't operate until all blood tests came back so they could see she was fit enough to go through it, our old vets wanted to do the op straight away

They spent time talking us through her operation,even telling us about the gas they use (they use a really safe one apparently which is more expensive but didn't pass on the cost to us )

She had the op and recovered really quickly eating straight away. The practice even helped filling out the forms for the insurance.

The price was about the same as our old vets quoted, but we felt we got a long detailed consultation.

I'm pretty familiar with all the local vets, and this practice is getting good comments from those of my clients who've used them so far. I also visited the other day to say hi, and catch the general vibe, and found them friendly and professional, and the waiting area clean and spacious....QUITE unlike the LL practice which is cramped and awkward, particularly if you have a cat in a basket, and there are already dogs waiting to be seen.

I too would happily pay more for a thorough service, and a happier pet ( and owner! ) as a result....and I wish them well.

• 2 weeks later...

They are even offering a way to spread the cost of the flea treatment and vaccinations which is always good and with a cat and a large dog i believe it would ease the cost when i have them because they are not cheap!

Simon

Well, instead of Spacey's usual motorcycle ride to Lordship Lane vets (she hates being in a taxi just as much so being in her box on the back of the bike was just as safe but took half the time!), I carried her across the park to see Amber today. Amber was absolutely brilliant (as is Julia Harper at LL Vets) and slightly more expensive but it took less time to get there and I shall have to switch my allegience. Have been going to LordshipLane ex Lomax vets for 28 years. I am such a loyal soul! Really impressed with the space and layout there though. Spacey won't speak to me for the rest of the day though.

I have been going to the Lordship Lane vet since I got my cat as a kitten 18 mths ago (never had a pet before so did not know what to expect). I have always been really pleased with the treatment of my cat (and me for that matter as I get rather stressed by the fact that the cat hates going in the car). My cat seems really calm when she's there and the vets and nurses have been brilliant. The only draw back is that it is a bit far from my home.... will keep an eye on this post and think about changing as it is much closer...

We will miss Spacey, especially her arrival on her motorbike which always raises a smile, but I am sure a short walk will be less stressful. Nevertheless we would welcome her back anytime - it is very hard to lose a client especially one who has been coming for such a long time! and doubly so when her mum was so supportive through some difficult times several years ago.

Spacey has been lucky not needing a car parking space but we have five bays for clients and reception was brightened up last year with the removal of the horrible reception cage for staff - even so I don't think anyone could describe it as cramped and awkward! and we are always happy to keep cats away from dogs! As a matter of fact we are planning a cat only evening - please ask!

Oh dear...looks like the fur will be flying soon!

However, I can purr-sonally vouch for the quality of care ( to both cat and owner ) of the wonderful Julia Harper at Lordship Lane vets...and would love to know more about the proposed cat-only evening....

I spent some time working in the USA, where they are allowed to have cat-only Vet Practices.....it seems to me to make good sense.

Not that I'm anti-dog, but having once had to stand for nearly 30 mins in another practice, ( not mentioned in this thread ) with a VERY heavy cat in a basket, as all the seats and other standing areas were taken up by large, Mastiff / Staffy type dogs, I can tell you it's NOT pleasant, or comfortable.

If I had got a seat, the poor cat would have been at eye level with those dogs, who, it has to be said, were all pretty well-behaved, but it would have been even more stressful for him....he doesn't "know" dogs, and to be frank, some of the dogs' owners were pretty clueless....

The vet I used when I lived in Brixton used to let their dog wander round the waiting area which I always thought was an additional stress for already stressed out cats.

I like the look of the new surgery and they have some reasonably priced toys etc but the price per consultation is rather steep. I think they quoted me ?35. Can that be right, or is that for the initial 40 min consultation?

I moved my dogs to The Neighbourhood vets for various reasons. Convenience of location being just one. It's close enough to walk to and if I do need to drive, there's parking out front and unrestricted on the road. Another reason was one of my dog's dread of 'the vet'. I was with Lomax, as was then and then with Brockwell Vets. My dog needed surgery at both and learned to associate both places with being handled in places that hurt the most, so a simple visit became quite traumatic for her. I've had to take both my dogs to the new vet a few times since they've opened and so far, my vetphobic dog is quite happy to trot in through the door. My other fearless dog was spayed there a few weeks ago and I found the care and friendliness of the staff great, even receiving a courtesy call to check on her the day following surgery. The premises being bright and spacious as well as the friendliness and more importantly, the professionalism of the vets and staff just adds to the experience. For me and my dogs, a very welcome new addition to our community. Oh, and they're on FaceBook! :))

And, although not a decision making element, I do enjoy a nice cup of coffee made by someone else! ;-)