Vegetarian Club (Lounged)

figgins

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I still don't get why veggies want veggie

> sausages/burgers or even quorn meat shaped pieces

> on their plate. You don't get bacon flavoured

> sprouts or artichoke shaped pieces of steak.

I think most people who have been veggie for a while don't - but for those who are new to it, it does help the transition. Also veggie kids often want something similar to what their friends eat, and I guess for them and for 'big kids' they are an easy option.

I'm not Vegetarian, but I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to step out with a succession of vegetarians, none of whom seemed to be able to cook anything worth eating (Women! Sheesh!), so I have had my training, veg-wise.

Nowadays, despite have 'struck gold' and bagged an omnivore, I suppose we still Go Veg two or three days a week and wouldn't want to change that. But when I eat out I like to order something I might not be able (or be arsed) to cook at home - and vegetarian food in restaurants is generally so unimaginative that it's just not worth risking it.

well, I've been a veggie for 30 years and I eat veggie sausages, they are convenient for a quick meal and make a change from spicy slop. It's just another shape to put soya protein into. I also make bolognese style sauce with minced TVP sometimes.

As a longtime veggie, I agree with Asset but I am not keen on the meat-a-like products such as Quorn.

I once ordered a v-burger in a joint in Greenwich and when I bit into it I had that adrenaline rush familiar to the betrayed veggie, discovering what I thought was a real charcoal-grilled burger and complained to the waiter. He said it was definitely veg but I insisted that I was a vegetarian and I knew meat when I tasted it. He went off and brought me the box - it was quorn. Now I avoid the stuff like hell. It is a very effective meat simulation (particularly texturally) and no doubt ideal for those cutting down for health reasons or weaning themselves off meat.

If you want to (risk) eating meat, then buy the good stuff with a cute name like Daisy and cook it properly! I'll stick to assorted ethnic food which is very often veggie.

Cheese Block do superb vegetarian Samosa's and Roti.

I still don't understand the convenient shape thing with sausages etc. Vegetables can be cut, mashed, julienned etc if you cook from fresh, so surely a thawed veggie sausage is the equivalent of opening a tin?

Personally I never understand it when meat-eaters say it is silly to eat meat substitutes that resemble meat. Most vegetarians are vegetarians not because they hate the taste but for other reasons (e.g. health, morals etc.)

As long as it's not meat, it's not meat! Isn't it a bit like saying you shouldn't wear fake fur - if you like fur you must wear the real stuff or not wear it at all. Who says!?

People that don't wear real fur generally boycott it because they don't want the cruel treatment of animals butchered for their vanity on their conscience. They normally don't wear fake fur either in case it encourages others to wear fur.

But surely eating meat isn't unhealthy or immoral? Do people really become vegetarians because they don't like the taste? There are so many variations of meat texture and taste, how would they know?

Some - but not all - meat can be unhealthy and immoral. How moral can a ?2 chicken be? Can it be raised well, fed well, given time to develop well - or is it full of growth hormomes, reared in barns where it can't move and gets hock-burn from sitting in its own faeces?

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually not a veggie, I just believe in good farming methods. Properly raised meat tastes better and, in my opinion has more nutrients. I rarely eat meat because I feel much better when I eat a veggie diet. I know people who are vegetarian because they don't like the taste and texture of meat.

I used to think it was weird that people wanted meat substitutes, but surely it's just a way of eating other things, adding variety to your diet. In the way a meat eater wants to eat vegetables or vegetarian dishes. And what about those who do like the taste but don't eat meat because of ethical or moral reasons, why not have meat substitutes?

I don't eat meat because I didn't want to eat animals that had led dreadful lives and were probably full of antibiotics & steroids and when I gave up free-range/organic meat wasn't easily available (especially in LL 18 years ago). Now I've got used to not eating meat and don't think my body would like it. My partner does not like meat - end of.

I am not the fussiest of vegetarians, if I go out to dinner I would never question whether the cheese had rennet in it, but I prefer to avoid meat products where possible.

Sometimes I miss the 'structure' of a meat and two veg type meal and then we'll have a meat substitute - ie veggie sausages in a toad in the hole - but this is not often.

Animals feel pain.

Eating meat is a waste of resources.

On average, vegetarians live longer and suffer less health problems like obesity and heart disease.

Ecover washing-up liquid doesn't contain any animal products.

I don't miss meat at all, least of all the taste.

I think eating chicken and turkey and pork etc that is bog standard is not a good thing. I don't like the idea of animals suffering, of beating treated like they're already dead. I'll pay the extra for organic and free range. I am not against the idea of animals being used as food, but am against their abuse for that purpose. Nero

It's totally a free choice whatever you choose. I come from a family of mostly vegetarians and I tend to prefer less meat in my diet, but not because I think meat is unhealthy or immoral. I think a lot of people like Cassius became vegetarians for very good reasons all those years ago and helped make the changes in animal welfare through their sacrifice of meat. Too many people go veggy because it's a bit fashionable just like Wheat allergies etc.

I agree with Nero's point that it is how the animals are treated throughout that makes a difference to the meat you eat. However, surely the same needs to be applied to vegetarian diets? How many wildlife habitats have disappeared in order to maximise production? How many children are out in overseas fields harvesting crops to keep costs down? What about the migrant workers being abused so that we get our fruit and veg to market at a profit and so on? Do the same vegetarians above wear only plastic shoes and belts?

>>If God hadn't wanted us to eat animals - why did he make them out of meat?!

Um, people are made out of meat too. Do you eat those as well...?

I don't understand why anyone would go veggie to be "fashionable." The point is, in these days of rarebait restaurants and retro British cuisine, it has probably never been more UNfashionable. Which means those of us who are veggie tend to be doing it for genuine reasons rather than jumping on a bandwagon. When you tell people you're veggie you tend to get a chorus of derision from meat-eaters, the inevitable "But don't you wear leather shoes?", "Where do you get your protein from?" and other mis-informed cliches. So the chances are, if you meet a vegetarian they are doing it out of choice - not trying to be trendy.