never-ending shenanigans at dulwich baths

cella

The response you got was impolite & nasty & you were probably right not to turn it into a confrontation.

But how is that the fault of the Leisure Centre?

There is no vetting procedure about temprament or social skills when you apply for a membership card & the catchment area is very wide & so covers a whole host of different people. Mostly, in my experience, ok but unfortunately with your runner being rude & acting like a twat, which is not acceptable. Even if she was acting within the "rules" that are suggested.

But if you are polite to the staff & can pay .... you are allowed in. Which she unfortunately was.

Your point about a 20 minute limit at all times might be valid, so why not pursue it through the relevant channels?

Which probably do not start at the Centre itself as there never appears to be anybody there with genuine authority.

This new centre is a tremendous resource that appears to be being run on a shoestring, many plus points & a few negatives. With a few issues around the quality & quantity of the staff.

A few helpful suggestions probably don't go amiss ...... at least give them an idea of how to tweak things for the better.

peckman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> regarding gyms... never understood why someone

> would pay to run on a treadmill... esp when you

> have lovely peckham rye park to run around.

Running on a treadmill is a lot easier on the joints. And you can mix it up with other low impact stuff, e.g. cross trainer. I usually end up injuring my knees running on the pavement or in the park.

peckman Wrote:

> regarding gyms... never understood why someone

> would pay to run on a treadmill... esp when you

> have lovely peckham rye park to run around.

Rain, snow, dog poo - or dry, warm and BBC news.

I like running around Peckham Rye, but to run 4 or 5 times a week the treadmill helps as they are

Designed to absorb impact.

Jeremy Wrote:

> peckman Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > regarding gyms... never understood why someone

> > would pay to run on a treadmill... esp when you

> > have lovely peckham rye park to run around.

>

> Running on a treadmill is a lot easier on the

> joints. And you can mix it up with other low

> impact stuff, e.g. cross trainer. I usually end up

> injuring my knees running on the pavement or in

> the park.

Had a lovely swim this morning, as the rain seemed to have put people off so it was very quiet.

However, the staff confused me by reversing the direction of the lanes... I got into the pool and started to swim, only to find someone coming towards me, going (to me) the wrong way around the lane... she waved me over, I noticed someone behind her and surmised that they'd changed the direction. When I got back up the other end I saw the lane sign, but I'd had my back to it when I climbed in, and I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses/contacts. Just as well I didn't start out with back stroke, or there would have been a crash! I think it actually worked better, as when you're in the slow lane, you're not going to swim up the steps or bump your head on the post by the steps as you're swimming away from them on that side of the lane. Although if the staff are going to randomly rearrange the pool of a morning a little notice on the changing room door would be helpful, particularly for those of us who are ocularly challenged...

I noticed that one of the doors has come off the shower in the ladies. Whereas on Friday I was woken up with a freezing cold shower after my swim (which I reported on the way out, and as the door was closed this morning I assume that the shower had been fixed and it was in use). We are still a bench down though - two have been replaced, the third still looks a right old mess.

I stop and chat at the side of the pool and I make no apology for it! I'm learning to swim with my friend and am not at all confident yet, so I sometimes need to stop to talk (and definately to catch my breath!) I don't stop right in the middle of the pool and I make every effort to stay out of everyone's way. We amateur swimmers need somewhere to go too and I think ED is a great pool for someone of my level... most of the time. I agree it does get too busy, though. I had someone swim right underneath me once! Needless to say I thought that rather rude and off-putting! If someone's that fast, then why are they swimming in the slow lane?!

Having used the gym regulary (1-3 times a week) since October, I have always found the staff, both in the gym and on reception very polite, friendly and helpful. I do admit it seems odd that the water fountains have been out of action since December but as I also use a gym near work which is in the London Fitness Network, I have to say that Dulwich knocks spots off it! I have never had a problem with machines although evenings can be very busy - as they are in any leisure centre or gym. The only problem I have is that I can't swipe my card and have to wait for the gate to be opened for me by the reception staff but invariably the queue grows as the front customer asks an increasingly long and inane set of questions - naturally, oblivious to those waiting behind them. All in all , I think the new gym a real asset to the area and I value having it close by.

Can never get through on the phone there, tried today to see what the bank holiday timetable is as it doesn't say on the website. tried calling for nearly half an hour, in the end tried depford again no answer in the end got through to Ladywell, why can't Fusion have a central phone line that all calls go through to if the centres staff are too busy?

Also my son has swimming lessons there, the rebooking of classes is a complete joke, have been told many times to come on one day to reebook only to find, leaflets were printed wrong or was told incorrect date. I also have the feeling some kids are moved into next stage of classes not on ability but to help fill spaces in higher classes and free up the beginners. The teaching staff are very good though and my son loves the lessons, I do think they could be five or ten minute longer though by the time the kids get into their stride it's time to get out.

I must say, I as a member of the Lido in Brockwell, which is part of the same group. I once went to this Leisure Centre in East Dulwich and found it unspeakably awful. The gym was boiling, cramped and poorly equipped. Changing rooms were tatty and filthy, despite the fittings actually being quite new. I never returned. It seems the best course of action is to vote with your feet. If you're already a member, I would be badgering the life out of them for a refund.

Congratulations to the managerial IDIOT who managed to ruin the General Swim for everyone today by squeezing the available space down to a single narrow lane running only two thirds of the length of the pool. Impossible to pass anyone without touching/colliding. And all so the aquarobics CLASS (run at a nice fat profit for FUSION) could have more space.

Here's an idea for this befuddled woman who obviously couldn't manage a piss-up in a puddle - maybe there should be less people in the class if half the pool isn't big enough for them?!?

Nice to see the brand new "From May 2012" timetable already screwed.

Joined the queue of annoyed and frustrated punters at the desk to get my money back.

Tonight the temperature in the gym was 29c at 8.15pm. There was no air coming from any of the vents and as usual the staff just looked blank about turning the AC on.

This is a dangerous temperature for people doing physical activity. Something needs to change.

Tonight the temperature in the gym was 29c at 8.15pm. There was no air coming from any of the vents and as usual the staff just looked blank about turning the air con on.

This is a dangerous temperature for people doing physical activity. Something needs to change.

Pickle Wrote:

> The one and only time I've swum there half the

> pool was used for the aerobics, leaving those of

> us there to swim with the ability to do widths

> only, completely pointless.

It does say clearly on the pool timetable when the aqua aerobics classes are - easy enough to avoid.

The gym was 29c again at half seven tonight. The member of staff who ran over when he saw me checking the thermometer said that they were going to change the heating from winter to summer mode tomorrow so I guess that we shall see.