never-ending shenanigans at dulwich baths

i totally agree, the gym is packed, the water bottles are nearly always empty. the toilets are not cleaned regularly, the seats in the ladies changing have been ripped out too! also i have to say i am disappointed that the only items you can buy from the machine are bad for you....chocolate, fizzy drinks etc...! all in all very disappointed!! not sure what we can do about it apart from constantly complain? or leave?

I have to say that the newly refurbished gym has been a great success in my view. On time and on budget and the building looks great - better than some other gyms in the area. The prices have been reduced to compensate while the building works have progressed too. As long as you book classes in advance I have been able to get to the ones I want - suspect that the overcrowding is due to people turning up on the day without booking and it would be helpful if Fusion could introduce a system to stop this. I go at different times to the gym and have always been able to use the equipment without waiting. The only problem at the moment is the very high temperatures generally in the building - using the studios for classes is comparable to being in a sauna! If they can resolve this then I think the facilities are great - dont use the pool though so cant comment on that.

Deptford has a lovely new pool...first time i tried new east dulwich there was awful loud music, which combined with the echos of the pool made for a head spinning experience, i've not been enticed back there, i prefer the pulse, although it's a drag when you have to queue and then miss the swim because someone is booking a class a week ahead....makes you understand why people join private gyms, except i can't afford it.

H Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I gave up my membership this week, got fed up of

> trying to swim there. I too had filled in forms

> with my comments and received no response. I just

> wish they had some nights where lane swimming

> started earlier than 8. I know they need to

> balance the needs of everyone but as someone else

> has pointed out above there doesn't seem to be

> much priority given to people who want to go there

> to actually swim rather than float aimlessly. An

> 8 o'clock swim just isn't compatabile with having

> dinner at a reasonable time if you work and can't

> eat before you go. Sad really to give it up, I

> love swimming and the pool was nice when it

> reopened. Will have to go elsewhere.

Totally agree about the timings. I'm not working in an office at the moment so can often go in the mornings at present, but when I worked and got home at 7, I'd have to hang around for an hour (and was hungry) and end up having dinner after 9pm, but would have to be in bed by 11 in order to get up early enough to get to work in the morning, thus not giving myself enough time to digest. And I tried doing the early morning swim too, but even getting there at 6.30 (and sometimes waiting for the doors to open to get in), I only had enough time to swim for 20 minutes before having to get out and get ready to go to work. Am not sure what the answer is, but maybe a couple of nights a week the lane swim could be from 7-9 and the general swim afterwards? Although I don't know how busy the general swim sessions are, or who goes to them.

considering re-joining Fusion as would like to train my OH (have a gym at work but it's very small).

if I do it'll be Brockwell Lido so that I can use both premises (he goes to the spin classes there). I haven't used Dulwich since the refit but I've been told the weights section has improved vastly and they've got a TRX set up.

However... we went to Brockwell Lido this Saturday past and... surprise, surprise... the showers were running cold! Felt like I'd never been away ;-)

the last time I used Dulwich was when they had *all* the cardio and weight equipment in one pokey room and the 'gym manager/staff member' on duty felt it appropriate to lie hidden in the back room on a heap of mats reading a glossy magazine. I'm not sure he could have looked any less interested if he'd tried!

I've finally some feedback from head officer:

"

1. Showers

The shower water temperatures are currently being reviewed to ensure that they remain at a suitable temperature all the time. There is a problem with the time it takes for the water to re-heat when there has been high usage. A temporary measure has been put in, which allows the showers to stay hotter for longer but a long term permanent solution is being investigated.

2. Seating

The seating has been removed from the changing areas to prevent any injury to customers as the fixings have been found to not be secure in some areas. Some of the seats have been removed as a precaution and work is now being done to determine the cause and solution. We are working hard to resolve this issue and will put the benches back as soon as possible.

3. Lost property

Fusion has a lost property system which during a recent audit was highly scored. I am happy to arrange for a copy of the policy to be sent to you if you would find that helpful. All staff including cleaning and maintenance contractors receive comprehensive induction training which incorporates all Fusion policies, including the lost property policy. The lost property policy has been re-iterated to them all.

4. Lane swimming

During the lane swimming participants are encouraged to use the lane appropriate to their ability and speed. We have spoken to the centre?s management team and they will ensure that the lifeguard team are reminded of their responsibilities and ensure full control at these sessions. Fusion carries out weekly lifeguard update training and centre managers will ensure that this is included.

"

I've asked what the timescales for all these things are.

James Barber Wrote:

> I've finally some feedback from head officer:

>

> "

> 1. Showers

> The shower water temperatures are currently being

> reviewed to ensure that they remain at a suitable

> temperature all the time. There is a problem with

> the time it takes for the water to re-heat when

> there has been high usage. A temporary measure has

> been put in, which allows the showers to stay

> hotter for longer but a long term permanent

> solution is being investigated.

>

> 2. Seating

> The seating has been removed from the changing

> areas to prevent any injury to customers as the

> fixings have been found to not be secure in some

> areas. Some of the seats have been removed as a

> precaution and work is now being done to determine

> the cause and solution. We are working hard to

> resolve this issue and will put the benches back

> as soon as possible.

>

> 3. Lost property

> Fusion has a lost property system which during a

> recent audit was highly scored. I am happy to

> arrange for a copy of the policy to be sent to you

> if you would find that helpful. All staff

> including cleaning and maintenance contractors

> receive comprehensive induction training which

> incorporates all Fusion policies, including the

> lost property policy. The lost property policy has

> been re-iterated to them all.

>

> 4. Lane swimming

> During the lane swimming participants are

> encouraged to use the lane appropriate to their

> ability and speed. We have spoken to the centre?s

> management team and they will ensure that the

> lifeguard team are reminded of their

> responsibilities and ensure full control at these

> sessions. Fusion carries out weekly lifeguard

> update training and centre managers will ensure

> that this is included.

> "

>

> I've asked what the timescales for all these

> things are.

Thanks for your efforts James, they are much appreciated.

The disappearing benches issue is annoying, but the problem with the showers is verging on prohibitive!

Do pass on the timescales as and when they come back to you.

Thanks again.

2. Seating

The seating has been removed from the changing areas to prevent any injury to customers as the fixings have been found to not be secure in some areas. Some of the seats have been removed as a precaution and work is now being done to determine the cause and solution. We are working hard to resolve this issue and will put the benches back as soon as possible.

I'm the last person to start moaning on, Daily Mail style, about modern H&S rules etc etc, but this is a little bit ludicrous. For this sort of problem to firstly occur a year after being built, but then necessitate removal of all the seating (rather than perhaps just fixing it straight away with new brackets / deeper fixings or similar) is just a bit bonkers.

• 2 weeks later...
Tarafitness, I don't know if there are memberships that include both Brockwell and Dulwich since they're in different buroughs. We certainly didn't get any sort of discount when we used the pool last summer with our southwark based memberships. probably worth checking before you decide where to set up your membership

We have been taking a grandchild to Dulwich Leisure Centre for swimming lessons for the past year. The reception staff have always been very pleasant and helpful. Our experience is that the swimming instructors seem to have a good relationship with the children and make the lessons happy and successful.

The family changing room can get crowded. If we have a complaint it is some other customers' habit of bagging the cubicles by leaving clothing there, instead of using the lockers.

Maybe the reception staff can be occasionally abrupt because many customers treat them rudely. How many customers smile, say hallo or goodbye or thank you...............

Janet who is a swimming teacher is wonderful - she can inspire confidence in the most nervous swimmer regardless of age.

And a place that provides a creche and a family changing room - how child friendly do you want them to be?

Personally I preferred the pool when it was blue, shabby, full of old plasters and had whales and dolphins painted on it!! It's not even fun for kids anymore - check out my son's Fred's comedic take on the borderline insane lifeguards (who I have seen make children sob when they commit such crimes as getting in not using the stairs in a rafts and rascals session)!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHsCvjVeMA

sienna.W Wrote:

> This place is so un-child friendly and the staff

> at reception can be quite rude and abrupt.

The children never seem to be controlled by the parents and seem to use the cafe/reception area as somewhere to let their kids run riot!

If I worked there with all the children running around and screaming, I would have to be blunt!

Creche not enough? Consider the other side of the coin. It's not just the reception staff. I for one think the noise the children make (as well as disruption with the scooters) is excessive.

started swimming here, but try and say good evening and get a response from staff at FL, they have the contract so no need to be customer focus and cost of a swim well says it all, as for the showers hot of cold can you turn the damn things off, Oh ya and the swim lanes for adults it will be walking only soon as the numbers increase but not the times for swims.:(

Hi Caroline

Brockwell Lido is part of Fusion but as it has the Lido it charges a bit more than normal Fusion prices. You can use all fusion facilities if you are a member of Brockwell, but you cannot use the Lido for free if you are just a fusion member.

I joined the Lido purely for that reason, but used most of the facilites in ED/Peckham instead out of season.

Same here, just signed up again at Brockwell Lido so can use their facilities as well as Dulwich. The sauna and steam room are nice as is the jacuzzi :-) looking forward to the lido opening again, they've been repainting it, it looks great :-)

The spin classes there are pretty good too I'm told.

Used the Dulwich gym for the first time since the refurb on sunday, was impressed by the kettlebells and TRX, though on that note I think the gym staff should check them over for safety's sake as someone had fixed one to the frame by the carabiner!!

Actually, having said previously on this site that I had yet to have a bad experience in the gym, I did so yesterday. People seemed to be hogging the treadmills and when I did a rough check on how long each person had been on the machines, most had been on for a minimum of 20 minutes. I approached a woman who had been on the longest and gestured to her to see how long she would be and got a hostile response. I appreciate that when I went it was not peak time but even so when I spoke to reception afterwards they just shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do - I suggested having stickers on each machine saying that there is a 20 minute maximum usage time (which surely is enough for anyone?) but they said they couldn't do that. Oh well.