Royals coming to Dulwich Picture Gallery today....

gerry

Barred Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Louisa your a bundle of fun you should have locked

> yourself in and combed your armpits

Comb my own armpit hair? Do you think my name is Camilla or something? That's what I have a husband for you muppet! >:D<

Louisa.

Ah....so that's what all that was about!

Despite the kerfuffle, I still managed to park long enough in the Village to post a parcel ( whilst summat was clearly up at The Gallery,) AND do a speedy divert to avoid getting stuck by the news-team who were at Goodrich Primary.

Hardly any disruption....they were indeed slick.

So I managed to miss them..... TWICE! The life of this professional Cat-Sitter COULD have been sprinkled with Royal Glitter.....but it wasn't, sadly.

Hope they enjoyed The DPG though.....the current Van Dyck exhibition IS rather good ; - )

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Louisa,

Really sorry for the delay in coming back to you but I've been busy working on my maths and preparing my street for a jubilee party. It's the likes of you that make me even more staunch in my support for both the monarchy and the government. Where is your pride? The fact that we live in a country that enables us to walk freely, vote without the fear of retribution, or no doubt in your case, pitch a tent at St Pauls and protest whilst taking drugs and stealing and where we have ready access to a free health service, is something to be proud of. Where to start?

1. The royal family generate millions of pounds per year in revenue from tourists - simple but true.

2. They are treasured accross the world by people who are equally proud to be a part of the commonwealth.

3. The value of the word they spread is impossible to calculate but plain to see on the faces of the locals they visit.

Take pride in where you live.. we are so lucky to have what we have, yet there are always people like you moaning at every opportunity! Try a week or two in Darfur or time in Somalia and Djibouti.. see real suffering and then BE ASHAMED!!!

The Aussies are happy!!

@Nick -- what you said -- but "freely"? Too many CCTV monitors for that to apply any more. If you meant "footpaths" and "coastal access", then apology offered, the right to roam is something that I appreciate.

Me and my school was one of the schools that were there (Harris boys) along with kingsdale, incredible, some of you hate them and some don't but meeting Kate was amazing, she looks thin on tv but looks increbly thinner for real life! Best day of my life!!!! :D

Hi Nick1962,

Love or hate the UK monarchy conceptually or practically I suspect some of your information may not be correct.

UK tourismstates 2010 25M visitors to the whole of the UK. But Paris tourism alone is stated at 42 million visits.

So its not clear having a monarchy makes a big difference to tourism for London or the UK when compared to its nearest city state rival located within a republic.

If we look at the brief encounter through the eyes of a 14 year old boy it might give us a bit more perspective on Junad1997's comment. Given that such visits are choreographed within strict time constraints, as was the Queen's visit to the DPG some years ago, there is never an opportunity to engage in conversation or spending 'quality' time. Perhaps if there was, there could be more to say but fair go, it's an honest comment and probably as much as anyone got from the hoo ha. Oh, plus a souvenir flag.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Nick1962,

> Love or hate the UK monarchy conceptually or

> practically I suspect some of your information may

> not be correct.

>

> UK tourismstates 2010 25M visitors to the whole of

> the UK. But Paris tourism alone is stated at 42

> million visits.

> So its not clear having a monarchy makes a big

> difference to tourism for London or the UK when

> compared to its nearest city state rival located

> within a republic.

Well, UK Tourism is doing itself a disservice, then. These figures on Wikipedia, claim that the most-visited city by international visitors is indeed Paris, with 15.2 million, while London comes in at 14.7 million. And Paris is much easier (and cheaper) to get to for other Europeans, so that's not a surprising figure.

Having said that, I suspect that many visitors want to see the trappings of monarchy (Buck House, the Guards, Windsor etc) rather than the royals themselves.

Purrsonally, I've never liked Paris, although I love the rest of France I've seen. But possibly because I never grew up in London, the City and the Thames never ceases to fascinate me....as I'm sure it does many others, and our history, like it or not, is wrapped up with our Monarchy as much as anything else.

"Not so - and the French agree."

Those outside Paris yes. Same with London, those outside of it are not too enamoured of London. I lived in Paris for many years so I wouldn't agree with you and to appreciate a city takes more than a tourist visit.

Nick1962 Wrote:

> Hi Louisa,

>

> Really sorry for the delay in coming back to you

> but I've been busy working on my maths and

> preparing my street for a jubilee party. It's the

> likes of you that make me even more staunch in my

> support for both the monarchy and the government.

> Where is your pride? The fact that we live in a

> country that enables us to walk freely, vote

> without the fear of retribution, or no doubt in

> your case, pitch a tent at St Pauls and protest

> whilst taking drugs and stealing and where we have

> ready access to a free health service, is

> something to be proud of. Where to start?

> 1. The royal family generate millions of pounds

> per year in revenue from tourists - simple but

> true.

> 2. They are treasured accross the world by people

> who are equally proud to be a part of the

> commonwealth.

> 3. The value of the word they spread is impossible

> to calculate but plain to see on the faces of the

> locals they visit.

>

> Take pride in where you live.. we are so lucky to

> have what we have, yet there are always people

> like you moaning at every opportunity! Try a week

> or two in Darfur or time in Somalia and Djibouti..

> see real suffering and then BE ASHAMED!!!

> .

>

> The Aussies are happy!!

post of the year