Plot problem

PeckhamRose

OK since there is a thread about people being bored at work perhaps you can help me with a plot problem I have in a script. I can't see the wood for the trees.

The set up is -

The lead male character - who is a GOOD MAN - and happens in the story to be quite famous- is estranged from his grown up son.

This lead male is photographed coming out of a place he should not have been seen in, and the ensuing publicity is threatening his career and that of his wife. The photo is NOT of his FACE, but of some other identifiable thing, mark.

During the course of the story he and his son become friends again and the son saves his father's career by persuading the press it was he, and not his father, in the photograph.

So I had them share identifiable moles on their hands. Birthmarks are not hereditery, but sometimes moles are.

But the idea of moles is just not good enough, and a weak idea.

Someone suggested they both be ginger but casting that would be tough and if they wore ginger wigs it would just be laughable (well, I'd laugh if I saw it!)

Someone suggested the father is photo'd coming out of a distinctive car which his son then says he was driving but that's pretty unbelievable. The press don't fall for that.

Soooooo - what do you think? What can identify them both without seeing their faces?

Get your imaginations going - and no, you can't have a co-writer's credit but if it were ever shown again and you remind me I'll try and get you a complimentary ticket!

Thanks for any ideas though. :)

Perhaps instead of being photographed coming out of an establishment he could leave something at the establishment that identifies him, and could subsequently identify the son. For example he leaves a hankerchief with his initials on it. Or he drops his scarf on the way out which happens to have his surname embroidered on it.

The photograph is a challenge. Do father and son have a rare item of clothing? Unlikely if they are estranged. Are they both unusually tall, or maybe they share a common feature - how about a patch of white hair just above the left ear.

Charlie

Ohhh gawddd you lot are so nice for even considering this.

I can NEVER guess plots. I need a synopsis for Tom and Jerry cartoons, me.

I have just this one main thing to work out.

The important thing is the Dad's face is not photographed.

How can the son then stand in front of the press and PROVE and/or successfully persuade them that it was HIM the Son in the photo.

Naturally the actors will be same build height and hair colour.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can NEVER guess plots. I need a synopsis for Tom and Jerry cartoons, me.

I was so proud when I guessed early on that the killer in "Saw" would be the "dead" bloke on the floor >:D The important thing is the Dad's face is not photographed.[/i]

I like the idea of heavy rain just making the photograph unclear enough to cast enough doubt.

> How can the son then stand in front of the press and PROVE and/or successfully persuade them that it was HIM the Son in the photo. Naturally the actors will be same build height and hair colour.

Sean's idea is very good. I can't really think of anything that would prove beyond a shadow of doubt that it was the son.

Soooo it's not a professional photographer. it's a neighbour with who films on his mobile so the faces may be can't be made out anyway BUT the ear twitching / touching thing happens and that's when people put two and two and the neighbour suspects the father/famousperson for who he is and and and and sells the film to the Sun (would the Sun buy something so odd if the famous person was not THAT clearly identifiable?)

Ummmmmmm

Before I go with eartugging any more ideas anyone? Ohhhhhhh Sean thanks!

LostThePlot you are misnamed.

FixThePlot should be you. Yupyup.

Nice idea.

Might work. But then have to set up a backstory reason for son to suddenly walk with a stick but I see where you're limping from and --- can you hear that? --- cogs ticking in me brain.

Thanks thanks thanks xx

Perhaps he could untie his dog outside this place when he leaves and be photographed doing that from behind - the dog would be how people identify him (distinctive collar perhaps?). But then as easily the son could also claim to have similar dog (or be walking the same dog). Maybe the dog could have an obvious bite mark on it from some illegal dog fighting ring....... hmmm, maybe I should just stick to eating chocolate, this plot malarky is hard work!!

Could it be a tattoo? Then the son could go out and get the same tattoo done, so as to convince others it was him. Having something so permanent done to his body to help out his father is quite a statement. Tattoo could be of a dog (!) - ok, I'll stop now!!