"New" bus routes starting 15th June

Humdinger that was outrageous. She works in a shop. Doing her best to survive in the big city. Stop lumping all ED / SE22 people as all the same. They are all different trying to make a difference and get on with their lives.

As for me, well personally I am delighted the 343 will be extended to Aldgate, but I don't need it for work and am sorry that so many of you are being disadvantaged as you try to get to work and that it is going to be that bit harder.

The other day I was being taken to a job from the airport in a limo (long story - wasn't even for a funeral! - and the limo driver said he is actually a paramedic and does the limo driving work to top up his pay, as he wants to try and remain in central London as long as he can. Life's not easy for so many people. You don't know their struggles. They don't need your anger.

Hemingway Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Plus of course the consequences of frozen Rail

> Fares when when that get nationalized, as most

> people naively support. No such thing as free

> lunches.

This article implies Inner London is losing services to pay for improved services in Outer London and that's what the consultation requested.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47909620

Despite having 4 buses that serve lordship lane to pass through Camberwell Green is good, the time to get to Camberwell Green, Vauxhall and Oval is shocking..+++45 mins,, before even starting a tube journey..As much as we love the area we live in..alot of time has to be factored into our daily journeys..I will look into the new taxi app as have used Uber recently to get me home and prices have increased to match other taxi companies..

South London is the butt of all jokes to our fellow neighbourhoods in London where they may not necessary live in a nice place but have the pleasure of the tubes.

Surely it doesn't take 45 minutes to get to Camberwell Green, unless there are roadworks?

I agree the times to Vauxhall and Oval can be long, but it does very much depend on the Day/time you travel and the traffic conditions.

Also changing over drivers, stopping to "even out the service" and red traffic lights don't help!

ETA: Sorry maybe I misread your post. Did you mean 45 minutes to a tube? There's always the 37 to Brixton, though that can be a bit hit and miss too.

I usually use Google maps to see which will be the quickest route on public transport, as it varies quite a bit even within ten minutes.

Humdinger Wrote:

> Tell you what mate, why don't you put your little

> rant in a little letter and send it to the mayor's

> office, proposing that he set up a new bus route

> entirely for you to get to work on time.

>

>

> Your attitude is horrendous- you literally think

> that London should revolve around you, rather than

> the vice versa, because you like every other

> person, has to face the grind of a daily commute

> to work. I also have to get the overground into

> Canada Water and change onto the terribly

> overcrowded Jubilee Line, but guess what mate?

> That's what i have to do to go to work, and i have

> to deal with that. It all part and parcel of

> living in London.

>

> Perhaps, it might make your life easier and

> happier if you searched for a "lowly shop

> assistant" job nearby to where you live, or

> perhaps leave London altogether if you cant hack

> it. And dont even bother responding crying "why

> should i?!", because you clearly are a spoilt

> individual who just doesn't quite understand how

> life in London works.

I wasn't going to bother responding to your downright ignorant reply but having just got home from work (11.30pm)I will.

First up-I'm a Londoner born and bred, I grew up on a council estate which was fortunately was in West London Zone 1

As the only daughter of elderly sick parents (I'm not asking for sympathy just stating facts OK?)I remained as near as possible to my parents by living in zone 2 West London for most of my adult life-when they passed away I no longer needed to be so near to them and pay inflated prices to live in what what was admittedly a pretty central area (W10)

I can certainly 'Hack' living in London, probably better than most.

If I could find a shop job locally that paid the same hourly rate as a central London store I would-Believe me-I'd love to walk to work or be home by 7pm.

If I'd chosen to live in East London (which I also considered before settling here because at the time it wasn't as overpriced and fashionable as it is now)I would still be able to get more than one direct bus into work as well as having access to the Central line.

My point was not that I can't hack living in London or indeed commuting (as I've relied on public transport my entire life and I'm nearly 60)BUT that the transport options regarding busses is woefully inadequate in this part of London compared to even SW London.

I think your attitude is horrendous and unrealistic too thinking its that easy to get a job locally (it isn't -competition for what counts as unskilled work is fierce)

or that living in what counts as a major city it is unrealistic to expect half way decent transport links into the central hub.

I glad I don't know what you look like because if I did I'd kick you where it hurts if I saw you on the Jubilee line.

Working outside of London and having lived in East Dulwich for over 20 years during which time I?ve worked in and outside London I can see pluses and minuses to the local transport provision. How busy the buses are shows how much they are used.

If I?m at the office beyond 7.30 there is one bus an hour to take me to the railway station. Walking is not an option as there is one part of the route with no pavement and the road goest to the M3 so even walking on the grass verge isn?t particularly pleasant and walking in the road would be a death wish. I can see why there is only one bus an hour, apart from the peak morning commute (0845) when the previous bus had been cancelled I haven?t seen people standing on the bus and there were seats for those who chose to stand if they wanted them. The buses are a service there, here they are a service but used.

My commute is better since the Overground came to Denmark Hill, prior to that I had to take the 37 to get to Clapham Junction.

If you want to travel from East Dulwich station to Denmark Hill or Forest Hill the bus service is fine. If you want to travel into central London the direct bus journeys are bad enough without the need to change. It took me 45 minutes to get from Waterloo to East Dulwich on Monday evening.

Just as I didn?t this time I?ll fill in any future consultation affecting the local area. The outcome might not be in line with my responses but they?ll be logged and who knows I might be the one person who tips the decision one way or the other, no reply no chance of that. We are lucky to have the option to vote / respond to consultations and we should make the most of that even if the outcome is not always what we would choose. Naive maybe but the only other option is to not reply and have no say so I don?t see a choice.

Humdinger Wrote:

> Most buses during the day are empty anyway.

> Compared to the rest of the country and possibly

> the world, we have an unbelievable bus service.

>

>

> If some cuts and changes have to be made from time

> to time due to changing dynamics and financial

> savings then so be it.

You must not go o any buses, if you thi k during the day they are empty.

They are always totally packed out, no room to breathe on them.

>

> Hopefully people are aware that there is a train

> service from East Dulwich to London Bridge which

> takes about 10 minutes and runs, i believe, every

> 15 minutes.

snoopy17 Wrote:

>

> You must not go o any buses, if you thi k during

> the day they are empty.

>

> They are always totally packed out, no room to

> breathe on them.

That is just not true.

I use buses a lot during the day, and they are not "packed out" except during the rush hours.

Sometimes they may appear to be because for some reason people prefer to stand downstairs, often blocking the doors, rather than go upstairs where there are plenty of seats available.

Obviously some people aren't able to climb stairs or have buggies with them, but I can't believe that applies to everybody.

or that living in what counts as a major city it is unrealistic to expect half way decent transport links into the central hub.

Yes and no. I can see your point (and it's been made by a couple of people on this thread) about *direct* links but that is unrealistic for everyone. The bus routes are being revised because, in the centre of town, there are simply too many buses, they get in each others way, cause congestion etc so makes sense to take some of them out of the centre of town and force people to change. The Hopper fare should mean that it actually doesn't cost any more for most people most of the time.

In terms of *indirect* links into the centre of town though, London is incredibly well served. You can get pretty much anywhere using phased transport (ie bus then tube or bus with a change) and it'll always be capped at ?7(?) per day. I pay more than that for a return train ticket where live now. Coming back to Dulwich is a welcome treat for how good public transport is!

AylwardS Wrote:

> My commute is better since the Overground came to

> Denmark Hill, prior to that I had to take the 37

> to get to Clapham Junction.

>

> If you want to travel from East Dulwich station to

> Denmark Hill or Forest Hill the bus service is

> fine. If you want to travel into central London

> the direct bus journeys are bad enough without the

> need to change. It took me 45 minutes to get from

> Waterloo to East Dulwich on Monday evening.

And that's the crux of the problem, the bus service is fine if you're travelling locally, yet go any further and it's too slow and cumbersome to use as a decent alternative to the trains. The 20mph speed limit in Southwark has also been another factor in the bus becoming a less credible alternative.

Don't get me wrong, buses are great for short journeys, but for anything that further than a couple of miles, forget about it.

Johnjohn Wrote:

> Number 12 Bus is being reduced from 12 buses an

> hour down to 8.

> That is a significant reduction

Dear Lord! That's my go-to in a tube strike or curtailment of rail services.

As the only bus that goes to the central west end in our area its another kick in the teeth.

As regards Cycling suggestions-For me this wouldn't work as I can't ride a bike and at my age I don't think its an option to learn whilst commuting to Oxford Circus.

That's madness reducing the 12 frequency. As a user of that bus I know how packed it gets in the morning and evenings all along the route. This will only get worse with this change

What are our councillors doing to improve public transport in the area? Are they talking to TFL about this erosion of services from Dulwich in to Central London ?

James and all please respond !!!

NewWave Wrote:

> Humdinger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Tell you what mate, why don't you put your

> little

> > rant in a little letter and send it to the

> mayor's

> > office, proposing that he set up a new bus

> route

> > entirely for you to get to work on time.

> >

> >

> > Your attitude is horrendous- you literally

> think

> > that London should revolve around you, rather

> than

> > the vice versa, because you like every other

> > person, has to face the grind of a daily

> commute

> > to work. I also have to get the overground into

> > Canada Water and change onto the terribly

> > overcrowded Jubilee Line, but guess what mate?

> > That's what i have to do to go to work, and i

> have

> > to deal with that. It all part and parcel of

> > living in London.

> >

> > Perhaps, it might make your life easier and

> > happier if you searched for a "lowly shop

> > assistant" job nearby to where you live, or

> > perhaps leave London altogether if you cant

> hack

> > it. And dont even bother responding crying "why

> > should i?!", because you clearly are a spoilt

> > individual who just doesn't quite understand

> how

> > life in London works.

>

> I wasn't going to bother responding to your

> downright ignorant reply but having just got home

> from work (11.30pm)I will.

> First up-I'm a Londoner born and bred, I grew up

> on a council estate which was fortunately was in

> West London Zone 1

> As the only daughter of elderly sick parents (I'm

> not asking for sympathy just stating facts OK?)I

> remained as near as possible to my parents by

> living in zone 2 West London for most of my adult

> life-when they passed away I no longer needed to

> be so near to them and pay inflated prices to live

> in what what was admittedly a pretty central area

> (W10)

> I can certainly 'Hack' living in London, probably

> better than most.

> If I could find a shop job locally that paid the

> same hourly rate as a central London store I

> would-Believe me-I'd love to walk to work or be

> home by 7pm.

> If I'd chosen to live in East London (which I also

> considered before settling here because at the

> time it wasn't as overpriced and fashionable as it

> is now)I would still be able to get more than one

> direct bus into work as well as having access to

> the Central line.

> My point was not that I can't hack living in

> London or indeed commuting (as I've relied on

> public transport my entire life and I'm nearly

> 60)BUT that the transport options regarding busses

> is woefully inadequate in this part of London

> compared to even SW London.

> I think your attitude is horrendous and

> unrealistic too thinking its that easy to get a

> job locally (it isn't -competition for what counts

> as unskilled work is fierce)

> or that living in what counts as a major city it

> is unrealistic to expect half way decent transport

> links into the central hub.

> I glad I don't know what you look like because if

> I did I'd kick you where it hurts if I saw you on

> the Jubilee line.

Your whole post is just me, me, me. In an attempt to justify your risible views, you have unnecessarily divulged personal details of your life in the past, which is strange and has no relevance at all to the destination and frequency of bus routes around East Dulwich, which is what this conversation is about.

We have possibly the best transport system on the planet, but still it is not to your liking as it doesn't get you personally to work quickly or comfortably enough- i rest my case. Try not to be too bitter in life, its unhealthy.

Johnjohn Wrote:

> Number 12 Bus is being reduced from 12 buses an

> hour down to 8.

> That is a significant reduction

I don?t know how I managed to miss this in the consultation! How can TFL justify reducing the service so significantly, especially during morning and evening rush hours? I often get the 12 and it seems to be a pretty well used service at most times of the day and night.

You can email [email protected] to give them your thoughts.

I travel by bus most days between 10.00am and 02.00pm

They are chocker block.

P13 , 12 , 37 Standing room only.

Example. 37 bus yesterday 13.00 at Peckham Nigel road towards Dulwich

Indicator said 14 mins. but bus came and drivers swapped over but bus waited 12 mins before moving off.

Bus was Full. got to East Dulwich Road. 17 people got on. Got to goose green playground stop.

another 7 - 8 people got on. Standing room only on a Sunday.

Worse during the day.

I Know it is even worse for 185, 40, 176 at 08.00 rush hour. Cannot even get on the Bus.

DulwichFox

The 12 cut is big, but brings the bus times to what they were when we had the bendy buses.

Clearly one of the reasons to cut the service is that passenger use has dropped along with the cuts to TfL's budget.

My main concern will be that the bus stop at Barry Road is well used for passengers who come from Forest Hill who don't wait for the 197 which only runs every 12 mins at it is. It'll be busy all day when buses only pull out of Etherow Street every 8 mins instead of every 5/6.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> The 40 change is being announced on the Countdown

> board screens at bus stops.

I was on an unfamiliar bus at the weekend and it was being announced, along with the stop information.