The 2012 Olympic Barry Barry Road Race

Greetings Sports Fans

1448 Meters

4 Pints

4 Shots

2 Pubs

2 Bears

No Buses!!!

It can only be - The 5th Annual Barry Barry Road Race or as it is known this year - The 1st Olympic Barry Barry Road Race.

The date of our fun filled, action packed, drink fueled, sport orientated (yeah right), family friendly event is -

Saturday 21st July 2012.

This, good people, is the Unofficial Opening Ceremony. We are in no way in competition with the other London sporting event that kicks off a week later, but in fact we are an enhancer to it. Our energies, passion and considerable tolerance for alcohol consumption will help keep alight the Olympic torch as it makes its way through our fair towns and cities.

We shall do our bit (more likely much more than our bit) to kick start the London party atmosphere into a high performance gear with what I hope will be another highly successful day of laughter, merriment and fancy dress with a little sport thrown in for a double measure.

We have never had a themed BBRR before so here's hoping you can take the Olympic Spirit (which doesn't count as one of your shots by the way) into your hearts and on to the streets (well one in particular) of East Dulwich.

Here's to another great day, see ya on the starting line

Please see attached for details

Olympic Love

Surfbobby

Ahem, Greetings again Sports Fans

Quite clearly I must have already been practising the drinking part of the race when I posted the date announcement earlier. For those keen readers that spotted my mistake - well done, gold medals all round. And for those who that didn't, fear not; we have not increased the alcohol consumption to 4 Pints and 4 Shorts as previously listed. It remains, as it always has, at 1 Pint (or 1 half pint or 1 bottle for those that want to) and 1 Shot in each pub.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused

Surfbobby

Please dont encourage him Bunny19. Plenty to occupy the minds of the endurance athlete during the warm up phase (from noon) if so desired. Everybody sets their own goals on the day so that could be your Barryimpic Test.

This year I will not feel the need to Police the buses for those evading the run. Its an Olympic year and the true corinthian ethos of the BBRR will prevail. Im running it. Brace yersels!

Back to the Barry Bears. Anybody seem em?......Barriet last seen with a lady footballer and Barry was carried of by Scooby Doo!

Bunny19 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Surfbobby, as it's an Olympic year and unofficial

> event, can't we up the anti and have 2 pints and 2

> shots each end, think of it as an even more modern

> day pentathlon,

This year I will not feel the need to Police the buses for those evading the run.

Aha all becomes clearer now HMB.

However, now that the bendy 12 has been replaced by fare-paying buses on Barry Barry Road I suspect the need to ahem, police the buses, will be made somewhat redundant this year ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have indeed got the winning male bear and I will indeed bring it along.

SIMPLES

Given that I can't possibly win again, I would be very happy for it to be a double pint double shot olympic contest.

Yours,

The Reindeer

Great stuff am9374, you set the bar high last year and must be considered a contender for this years title.

So we now have located the Barry Bear (5 years in a row he has returned). Now, just need confirmation that Barriet the ladies bear is safe and well and will be available to present to this years champion "athlete"

Keeping up the punishing training schedule for this years event.

See y'all at the starting line.

Aiming for the Gun to go of at 3pm. Previous races have been a bit late starting due to the logisitics of arranging 70 plus pints and nips down at the finish.

Will update nearer the time of finer details, but "warm-ups" in Plough from noon aiming for as near as possible 3pm start.

Past and venerable competitors will attest to the principles of the BBRR being all encompassing and open. All are welcome and the under 12's may drink a half pint if they desire. The race is as much about pre and post exertions as it is the actual running - which, trust me is harder than it sounds.

All those on the day from the admin, to the "runners" and spectators have their own goals and challenges to overcome and enjoy. David_Carnell, our archivist, and 5 time runner is a valuable source of inspiration for the novice and first time runner.

Its a pretty basic set of "rules" and as its quite a while till race day, which incidentally is always sunny, the thread will be updated in good time with a loose set of guidelines and a set of handy hints and tips (which basically means not overdoing it on the final set of circuits the night before!)

It would be good to use new technology this year to sort the finishing line out - e-mail perhaps to let the Clockhouse know in batches of 20's what tae start pulling. Last years bar bill for the finish line was over ?450.00, so although it seems logical to pre order, we need the money on the day. If a few pre registered runners pull out, that poppy has to come from somewhere. Open to suggestions as how to make it run smoothly, as it is our aim to get going at 3pm. By that time surfbob is usually pretty much warmed up and good to go.

We may have something lined up for a bit later in the evening for those interested (and capable), early days, but may involve a new cocktail (with some money from each purchase going in the MS pot). The Barry Barry Rum. All TBC.

Till then, lasers set tae malky.....CHARGE!

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All this mention of drinking puking and

> cigarettes. Is it suitable for children or not?

It's as suitable for children as a normal drinking session in a pub would be i.e. not very. They're welcome to attend (and even compete) but remain responsibility of their parents. So you know - be sensible.

> Will Henslowe Road be two way to prevent making

> part of E Dulwich inaccessible?

Errr....no. There are no road closures. The police are not notified. Nor is the council. This isn't the Chiacago marathon. It's three dozen fat, drunk and sweaty men running from one pub to another. We try and avoid getting run over by taking the sensible precaution of looking where we are going.