Unlablled Brown Bins removal.

I think you will find it will be pot luck what the dustmen decide what they will collect or leave on the day.

It appears some are very helpful some are not.

Last week they left brown bins full of garden waste, this week they collected.

The managing of this whole fiasco has to be admired.

as I understand it the waste is treated in different ways.

Garden waste will continue to be composted, I believe, but over time kitchen waste will be anaerobically digested - this allows for the gasses (I think methane) to be collected and used for power. Things like fresh grass cuttings can also be anaerobically digested but woody cuttings etc. can't be so readily. The residue of anaerobically digested material can also be used as soil improvers.

I do not know, however, what time scale Veolia is working to, to cut over waste treatment and separately treat their different sources of organic waste.

This change in collection method had been implemented, I would guess, as a consequence of charging for garden waste collection. They have to force unstickered large bins out of the borough (and force kerb-side caddies in) to ensure that unpaid for garden waste isn't collected. Somebody not a cynic would argue, of course, that this is just giving folks a long lead time to learn the new ways of recycling, to be ready for the new methods of disposal when (and if) implemented for Southwark collections.

I'm a cynic.

i really cant see how this system is going to work !

It'll work for the council all right - they'll get their 'off the books' money - and if you don't get the service, or other people 'steal' it from you - well your problem to sort out, not theirs. This isn't all about you, you know, indeed it isn't at all about you, It's about them.

mynamehere Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know if they will continue to collect

> in labeled brown bins? Mine wasn?t collected.

I meant UNlabled brown bins

Will they continue to take these away??? I have one surplus

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Countrlass22 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yes took our big brown bin I have new food

> waste

> > larger bin there emptying it fine weekly

> labelled

> > mine I simply place top my green bin they empty

> > put it back in yard for me.

> > Garden waste I'd if loved opt of smaller brown

> bin

> > half size for small gardens.

> >

> > As I never filled old big brown one.

> >

> I shall do bag system for garden waste when have

> some.

>

> A few weeks back. Dulwich Library said they had

> no garden waste bags and would not be getting any

> more.

> They said there was some at Kingswood Library

> until they run out.

>

> I was told they would be available to buy from

> Southwark Council but would not be collected

> unless you had paid the ?25.00 and had a Brown

> bin sticker.

>

> You would be able to take the bags to Devon

> Street.

>

> DulwichFox

The paper bags cost ?15 for 20. Collection is 'free' but you need to book it yourself either online or over the phone. Works out cheaper than having a large brown bin if you don't use it much.

What are the rules about large bits of cardboard and delivery residue? Up to now I've carefully compressed and folded it down to stack tidily beside the bins. The bin men collected this in the usual way. Over the last few weeks they've just flung this out of the way and then left it strewn across the front of the house. There wouldnt be room in the blue bin to store it so what do we do?

cella Wrote:

> What are the rules about large bits of cardboard

> and delivery residue? Up to now I've carefully

> compressed and folded it down to stack tidily

> beside the bins. The bin men collected this in the

> usual way. Over the last few weeks they've just

> flung this out of the way and then left it strewn

> across the front of the house. There wouldnt be

> room in the blue bin to store it so what do we do?

I do same as you with large cardboard that won?t fit in the bin & they always take it away so I think you?ve been unlucky also if you leave the cardboard to get wet/rained on it will soften up & you can tear it up easily into smaller pieces to go in the bin.

i watched them this morning empty my unlabelled bin. they were a crew of 3; 2 guys went up the road tipping food waste in their bins from each side of the street and then the driver, got out and did my garden waste. He got back in the lorry then saw he missed another garden waste bin. That poor guy is going to be in and out of that lorry no end, he looked very fed up. Seems like a rubbish system. ps. still have my bin

They collected loads in glengarry road but get this they then didn't actually remove from road they dumped the lot in several peoples front yards where space some houses have 10 brown bins dumped in front there own bins.

Absolutely a muck up.

Surely not all do that and not emptied either.

What an absolute farce. No movement at all in SE24.

Every week I have been filling mine thinking it will be the last week. i have trimmed everything within an inch of its life. lol. its all looking very manicured.

I guess this saga continues, I would have been very annoyed if I had paid, as I've practically finished all my major trimming for the year. My only issue is come autumn, I used to fill about 2 bins of leaves from the massive trees on the pavement that fell into my front garden. Now I will just sweep them in the road.

herne hilly Wrote:

> What an absolute farce. No movement at all in

> SE24.

> Every week I have been filling mine thinking it

> will be the last week. i have trimmed everything

> within an inch of its life. lol. its all looking

> very manicured.

> I guess this saga continues, I would have been

> very annoyed if I had paid, as I've practically

> finished all my major trimming for the year. My

> only issue is come autumn, I used to fill about 2

> bins of leaves from the massive trees on the

> pavement that fell into my front garden. Now I

> will just sweep them in the road.

Unless you get rid of all your greenery, then what will you do next year if you don?t have a brown bin?

According to my Veolia mole, the lorry collecting the large brown bins has a maximum capacity of 260. They are then taken to Colchester for containerisation and recycling. So only 260 bins taken at a time. I don't think Southwark was expecting the low uptake they have got on this scheme.

Froglander Wrote:

> Unless you get rid of all your greenery, then what

> will you do next year if you don?t have a brown

> bin?

Take it to the recycling centre in Devon Street.

Or else order brown bags and pay for a collection.

They were taking the brown bins away on our street last Thursday - the very hot day. Poor guys hopping on and off that lorry carrying those huge bins around whilst being beeped at by every other car, because the van they were driving looked like a regular truck and people were being impatient and intolerant.

Has anyone resorted to padlocking their stickered brown bin yet, to avert brown waste fly tipping in the dead of night?

Countrlass22 Wrote today:

> They collected loads in glengarry road but get

> this they then didn't actually remove from road

> they dumped the lot in several peoples front yards

> where space some houses have 10 brown bins dumped

> in front there own bins.

> Absolutely a muck up.

> Surely not all do that and not emptied either.

I saw some being loaded onto a lorry fairly full of them in East Dulwich Grove this morning. They seemed to be stacked. If so they presumably have to remove the wheels from each one.

I paid. Not received a label yet. This morning they took my bin away! No contact details on southwark website. WTF am I supposed to do now!!

Contact your local councillor. This is clearly just an administrative error, but no the less irksome for that.