Londis East Dulwich Road

sjj115

Londis East Dulwich Road are extremely helpful and patient with their many local small child clients. They cope gently and efficiently with the excited crush on sweety day (generally Friday after school) and enable the littlest to have first experiences dealing with cash and change.

The aisles are narrow so scooters/bikes etc are usually left outside.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You have to consider the circulation space around

> an obstruction to calculate the effective area

> taken up by a scooter. Particularly if lying prone

> on the ground in an aisle.

Or you move the obstruction? Fitting a scooter around things like boxes of crisps or crates of drinks is as actually remarkably easy

There are alternatives to leaving it prone on the ground in the aisle, but maybe that too is unreasonable

the issue isn't really what the shopowner could have done - it's the OP slating him on social media

what if the shopowner had gone on facebook and written -

"ED Parent forgets sons precious scooter - what awful parenting..."

It would just be wrong.

I'm on the side of the shopkeeper, he gave you 30mins which assuming you are local seems ample time for A;your son to realise he didn't have it and B; you to get back.

My suspicion is that your son realised it had gone missing sooner (it seems unusual for a small child not to miss a much loved toy quite soon after losing it-that is one who is old enough to ride a scooter and verbalise things)

And you having other things to do said "don't worry darling-the man will keep it We'll go back later" and then you 'finally' got round to returning on Friday or saturday a day or two later on the assumption it would be held safe.

When he didn't do that your guilt at your complacent attitude lead to you penning this unjustified rant naming and shaming said store.

Just a thought...

This is why London is so messed up. No common sense, no decency, no values, no etiquette.

Everyone who thinks not just keeping something as small as a scooter for as long as it takes for the owner to come back needs to have a hard look in the mirror.

Glad my family and I have all just left.

jmacED Wrote:

> This is why London is so messed up. No common

> sense, no decency, no values, no etiquette.

>

> Everyone who thinks not just keeping something as

> small as a scooter for as long as it takes for the

> owner to come back needs to have a hard look in

> the mirror.

>

> Glad my family and I have all just left.

I'm not far behind- for the same reasons

NewWave Wrote:

> I'm on the side of the shopkeeper, he gave you

> 30mins which assuming you are local seems ample

> time for A;your son to realise he didn't have it

> and B; you to get back.

> My suspicion is that your son realised it had gone

> missing sooner (it seems unusual for a small child

> not to miss a much loved toy quite soon after

> losing it-that is one who is old enough to ride a

> scooter and verbalise things)

> And you having other things to do said "don't

> worry darling-the man will keep it We'll go back

> later" and then you 'finally' got round to

> returning on Friday or saturday a day or two later

> on the assumption it would be held safe.

> When he didn't do that your guilt at your

> complacent attitude lead to you penning this

> unjustified rant naming and shaming said store.

> Just a thought...

Clueless

Exactly pk - if the scooter was such a treasured possession how come the child didn't realise he didn't have it? Whatever the real scenario, totally misjudged to come on here and bad mouth a perfectly decent shop who frankly have better things to do than to find somewhere to store scooters for forgetful mums.

edited to say: Exactly Newave, NOT pk

yep, mummy thought the little shopkeeper man would just take care of her kids junk until they were good and ready to have the decency to pop by and demand it back. Obviously had other far more pressing matters at hand rather than retrieving the scooter, yet is stunned and upset when it is isn't there a day later, then blackens the shops name online in the hope of doing it harm.

Nice one!

Commenting on the thread to shame the OP for posting a negative experience on a local business and in turn posting a number of negative assumptions about the OP...

Whatever my view on this matter, this thread has turned vile.

To be clear, it?s those suggesting that kids always notice what they?ve lost within less than 30 mins that I think are clueless

And those making up what the parent thought, when they haven?t any idea

(But, as I said earlier, don?t see the need to go on here about someone being mean spirited, there?s too much of that on here already)

Ok, so the OP is at fault for leaving the scooter behind but surely it wouldn't have hurt the shopowner to have kept it safe for a few days in an out of the way place. Don't they have a storeroom or some space behind the counter. It seems a bit mean spirited to dump it outside especially as it belonged to a child. A lot of people leave things behind, if they didn't we wouldn't have such a thing known as "Lost Property".

This was a very mean spirited act on the part of the shopowner and he sounds a bit 'holier than thou' if he said that as a parent he would not have left it behind. "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way"! Just saying .......!

I agree savvygirl. It is hard enough to retrace your steps when you realise you have left something behind somewhere but to find that the item was not held for even an hour before being put outside would be very annoying as the shopowner just wanted rid of it and didn't care if it was stolen.

Recently a lady left her keys at a till in M and S and when she came back she said it had taken her an hour to realise and to go into every shop to find them, and she was so grateful they were kept safe.

I wonder how many of you would feel if you left your mobile phone, your handbag or your wallet in this shop.

And when you realised and went back the shopkeeper told you he doesn't keep anything here and put it outside after 30mins.

It would have been an act of kindness to have kept it safe.

But for how long? - A day, two days, a week, a fortnight (they could have gone off on a holiday and forgotten the the scooter in the rush to prepare)? The shopkeeper wasn't to know. Once again - space in small shops is at a premium, a scooter cannot be kept in the aisles (for obvious reasons) and room behind the counter or in whatever limited storage they have is at a premium. 30 minutes is often long enough for something as large (and treasured?) as a scooter to be called back for - or did the OP have something else urgent to get done? No shopkeeper can manage such an open ended storage commitment. Very different for a small, valuable, item such as keys or a wallet, which can be stored conveniently. Perhaps if the OP had called the shop (if they couldn't get back in 30 minutes)? And given a firm time to collect?

smith 41 Wrote:

> Take responsibility for your own mistakes and stop

> passing the buck it?s no ones fault but yours for

> leaving a treasured scooter behind

I don't think anyone is trying to blame the shop for the OP forgetting the scooter, and there have been loads of assumptions on here and silly talk about 'storage space'....

I suppose it comes down to whether you think 30mins was reasonable or not. I personally don't but others obviously think differently.