Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

I'm sure many people will walk to both the school and M&S but of course both will increase parking pressure. You only have to drive near Goodrich around 9am to see how many parents drive their kids to school. And as others have said before, an M&S will be inevitably be a destination for people coming by car, just as William Rose is. I'm not saying they shouldn't happen but I think it's naive to think everyone will arrive on foot or public transport.

I was also at the M+S planning meeting and I have to say the whole thing was rather pointless. The councillors had clearly made up their mind and overall seemed to be rather scared of the council being liable if they were to go against anything the inspector had already decided. So they played out a 2.5 hr meeting, admitting there have been numerous uncorrected errors in the proposal from the start and then accept it anyway.

What I also don't understand is that if the planning permission was rejected then the developer can go to appeal but we have no leave to appeal? Overall I get the feeling that the company applying for this knew this would be the outcome when they started with their first proposal and played the game. First couple of applications rejected. Make minor modifications to the bits that were criticised only and everyone seems to accept that the rest of the application is fine. Eventually they back the council into a corner of accepting it with the fairly open threat of expensive legal appeals if they don't.

And even more clever, you badge it as M+S so quite a lot of locals (except those in immediate vicinity) support it even though there is no binding agreement for M+S to take this forward (although I guess it seems likely as they have been paying the costs). Wouldn't everyone look silly if M+S now decided this is not what they want anymore and don't take up the option but the planning permission still stands.

Oh well. At least it might end this thread!

• 3 weeks later...

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just a confirmation in writing, Southwark's

> planning portal has been updated confirming the

> granted status for this application.

>

> http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.

> exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&The

> Systemkey=9553324

>

> Louisa.

Is that the same Louisa that wrote

"Some people are just fanatical about shops changing hands. They must have the southwark planning portal saved as a favourite.

Louisa."

• 3 months later...
I doubt it, no. Free range still means cramming 9 hens to a square metre with no requirement for the bird to actually get outside. Sometimes you have to look at your food and realise when it's just not quite expensive enough. If the free range tag makes you feel nice and wholesome about your choice, it really shouldn't.

Iceland aren't going anywhere until well into the new year according to their customer services team. After that, who knows, M&S are not even owning up to wanting to open here. Maybe they were gazumped by Waitrose? Or perhaps they stay tight lipped until everything is finalised with freeholder.either way we get one last Christmas with an Iceland Prawn ring and 100 piece part platter. I'm happy.

Louisa.

• 5 months later...

I?ve been told by Louisa via PM that she?s spoken to M&S?s customer service team who have confirmed it will be an M&S but it won?t open until summer 2016. It will be an M&S Food Hall rather than Simply Food. She asked me to post this for her as she?s banned for the moment from posting in the General comments area.

Suppose we?ll know within a few months since if they plan to open within just over 12 months, Iceland would need to vacate pretty soon and building works would probably need to start in the autumn.

"She [Louisa] asked me to post this for her as she?s banned for the moment from posting in the General comments area."

That would explain why she has taken to sending obnoxious PMs then!! Incidentally, she also (as usual) misses the point in her PMs as well.

Louisa's PM:-

Marks and spencer

To: robbin

Date: 23/04/2015 11:53

Think you'll find Beckenham already has a Waitrose and M&S! (More than what ED has). So the sneering is laughable!

Louisa.

robbin Wrote:

> Otta wrote: "I'm intrigued, why Beckenham?"

>

> Two reasons - (1) its not ED and (2) it's where it

> appears Louisa would rather live and its seems

> only fair she should have her beloved Iceland

> close at hand!

It has a great big Waitrose too.

And again, there are people in East Dulwich who use and will miss Iceland. It's going, fine. But I think people get upset when they feel like other people are sneering at them as somehow inferior because they use Iceland. There's just a slightly nasty undercurrent to some posts.

I think that's what Louisa hates too.

I feel like there are people on the East Dulwich Forum who use and would use M&S and get upset when they feel like other people are sneering at them as somehow superior because they use M&S. There's just a slightly nasty undercurrent to some posts.

Otta Wrote:

> And again, there are people in East Dulwich who

> use and will miss Iceland. It's going, fine. But I

> think people get upset when they feel like other

> people are sneering at them as somehow inferior

> because they use Iceland. There's just a slightly

> nasty undercurrent to some posts.

>

> I think that's what Louisa hates too.