Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The concern will now be to some that shoppers

> will try parking in Chesterfield Grove.. More

> congestion.

>

> DulwichFox

OMG Fancy that!

Quite unbelievable! What is the world coming to?

People go and buy a house in Chesterfield Rd and shoppers try parking in Chesterfield Rd ,,, absolutely incredible for the life of me I really can't believe it. I CAN'T !

I mean you go buying a house on Lordship Lane where once you were surrounded by fields and sheep ?? and then out of nowhere they build a high street with SHOPS and Busses people !

An absolute disgrace unbelievable. Fazer *shakes head in disbelief* .. ummmm

My sympathy goes out to everyone who has bought a home on Lordship Lane to find their lives disrupted by the shops shoppers and everything else that comes with buying a home on Lordship Lane. It must be awful absolutely AWFUL ?.

You poor poor things??

Look on the bright side if you get used to it you could move to a home on the Kings RD

I think (actually I may lobby them) Southwark should make Lordship Lane busses only and divert all other traffic down Barry road.

That?s what they did to Rye Lane it killed all the shops all the traffic and all the well almost everything it?s become trendy trendy now it?ll probably get busy again .. so that as a solution to stopping shoppers on Lordship Lane may only last 30 years ?????

But that would probably suit many home owners on Chesterfield etc..

What to do

What to do

What to do

What to do

.. Any brilliant ideas DulwichFox ??

you know I meant Grove not Rd .. but it's not really a Grove is it :)

fazer71 Wrote:

>

> .. Any brilliant ideas DulwichFox ??

No.. None..

P.S.

I mean you go buying a house on Lordship Lane where once you were surrounded by fields and sheep ?? and then out of nowhere they build a high street with SHOPS and Busses people !

As you were seemigly talking about the 21 Century.. and tend to be rather pedantic on occasion

In 21st-century English, buses is the preferred plural of the noun bus. Busses appears occasionally, and dictionaries list it as a secondary spelling, but it?s been out of favor for over a century. This is true in all main varieties of English.

Best to get ALL our facts right..

Also.. Lordship Lane is Not a high street..

DulwichFox

aerie Wrote:

> fazer71 - get off your high horse

If I had a horse I wouldn't be moaning about how it smelt or the tons of manure it produced.

Honest ..

INHO Best not to buy a horse if you don't like what horses do.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Best to get ALL our facts right..

>

> Also.. Lordship Lane is Not a high street..

>

Busses Buses ahh.

There you were expecting one S and two turn up.

Really not a High St,,, ah oh yes it's a LANE ... Can't possibly be a High Street .. lol Classic

Hi James,

I'd really appreciate a response; in case you've missed it because of the idiotic nonsense above, here's what I asked:

Many thanks for your response James.

But is that it? just, 'that's what happened'? I'm sure you can appreciate that for those affected by this development these things are extremely frustrating. It feels like your response above is pretty dismissive/uninterested and its a surprise for you to be so unforthcoming, given that previously you have been so vocal/active/helpful on this issue.

And what about the letters of consultation that were seemingly never sent? Has any explanation been given as to why this did not happen?

Thanks

fazer71 Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > Best to get ALL our facts right..

> >

> > Also.. Lordship Lane is Not a high street..

> >

>

>

> Busses Buses ahh.

>

> There you were expecting one S and two turn up.

>

> Really not a High St,,, ah oh yes it's a LANE ...

> Can't possibly be a High Street .. lol Classic

Not at all...

Rye Lane was once a High street.. It hade many major High St. Stores.

Jones & Higgins, 2 C&A's , M&S, BHS, Littlewoods, Walworths, Stylos, Stead & Simsons,

Timpsons, Dolces, Boots, 2 Lyons Tea Houses.

That's a High St.

DulwichFox.

Don't want to be pedantic but, Peckham High Street is between Peckham Road and Queens Road. Rye Lane is not Peckham High Street. Equally Lordship Lane is not a High Street Duulwich Village was Dulwich Highway once which is not the same thing but almost.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> That's a High St.

>

> DulwichFox.

NO this is a high street

High street

noun

British

noun: high street; plural noun: high streets; noun: highstreet; plural noun: highstreets

the main street of a town, especially as the traditional site for most shops, banks, and other businesses.

"the approaching festive season boosted the high street"

?(of retail goods) catering to the needs of the ordinary public.

modifier noun: high-street

"high-street fashion"

NO this is a high street

High street

noun

British

noun: high street; plural noun: high streets; noun: highstreet; plural noun: highstreets

the main street of a town, especially as the traditional site for most shops, banks, and other businesses.

"the approaching festive season boosted the high street"

?(of retail goods) catering to the needs of the ordinary public.

modifier noun: high-street

"high-street fashion"

EDOldie Wrote:

> Don't want to be pedantic but, Peckham High Street

> is between Peckham Road and Queens Road. Rye Lane

> is not Peckham High Street. Equally Lordship Lane

> is not a High Street Duulwich Village was Dulwich

> Highway once which is not the same thing but

> almost.

I'm fully aware of all that. I lived in Peckham for 28 years very close to Peckham High St.

The question was if something called a lane could be a high street.

DulwichFox

Well I just think a high street is a name rather than an entity. I can see the logic in describing Oxford Street as London's High Street and talking about retail shopping in the UK as on the high street. But all roads have names and I think it could be confusing if you refer to a road by a name that it's not. Particularly in the case of Peckham High Street even though it is clearly no longer the main shopping centre. Mind you I should probably get out more.

Seriously, can you take your conversation on what constitutes a high street to the lounge? This is a thread about the M&S planning application, and there are people (regardless of what you think of them fazer) who want to have genuine engagement with James Barber and others on this subject. Your meanderings (and petty sniping fazer) lessen the chance that James will see questions asked of him, and generally detract from what most want to be a constructive conversation.

And before anyone says it, yes, I know its a free world, free forum and anyone can state their opinion etc etc. Of course. I'm just asking people try to control their urge to dive in and divert conversations that others are trying to have seriously. Thanks!

"This is a thread about the M&S planning application, and there are people (regardless of what you think of them fazer) who want to have genuine engagement with James Barber and others on this subject."

My impression is that both on this and the 'Local Councillor...' thread there are a small number of people with a vested interest who can't accept the outcome of as planning process, and want to post again and again and again, by turns lambasting poor old James for his lamentable inactivity, re-running all the arguments that it appears were considered entirely properly first time around, and hinting at dark and dirty conspiracies aimed at preventing them from parking outside their own houses. A harmless semantic chat is light relief for those of us who are not very cross indeed.

PS James Barber has the patience of a saint, and is to be highly commended for his continued willingness to be badgered about this. This may come as a massive surprise to you, but I'm sure he has other issues to deal with.

DaveR, where planning issues are concerned those closest will suffer most or benefit most, so I don't really know what point you are trying to make? Those who are affected are pursuing the matter because to paraphrase you, they do not believe that the processes have been considered "entirely properly". By "first time round" to which application do you refer? There have been many.

Local politics and issues that crop up are often parochial and small scale and easily dusmissed by those not directly affected as petty nimbyism, as you are doing here.

Shush shhhhhsh nothing to see here move along ..

Nothing weird only people having a moan about 1st world problems like buying homes in a "surprisingly" busy prime back street location which isn't a high street it's a lane don't you know!

Please move along move along now ... no rubberneckers laughing their tits off ... move along ..

Good one DaveR. Theres nothing like paraphrasing and misrepresenting a whole of group of people to make your point. Your post above is so petty.

James is not being lambasted (at least, not by me). He chooses himself to come on to the forum as our ward councillor to engage with the local community and address their concerns/questions. We've met several times and spoken about this issue. I have asked him some questions online; I have never been rude nor unreasonable. It really is as simple as that. And actually he has taken a very keen personal interest and involvement in this for which I and others have been very grateful. So to continue to engage him on it is perfectly natural, given that the planning process is on-going (it is not over as you imply), as it is to ask him why his involvement/interest seems to have waned, particularly at a time when there is so much uncertainty about a host of follow-on applications, local consultation not happening as it should, and even the promised call-in of the decision being missed.

And your impression is simply wrong anyway. The issue was not considered 'entirely properly' first time round at all. The council have admitted it was dealt with poorly. The situation is now changing on a monthly basis and people in the immediate vicinity are rightly concerned about the impact the development might have on them.

So I really don't understand you and others who get so frustrated by those of us who air concerns on this thread and make an issue of it. Of course we are engaged and trying to protect our interests against a cowboy developer who has an extremely bad reputation to say the very least. We all accept M&S is coming and now just want to moderate the impact it has on us. Why shouldn't we? I suspect most people would.

If you don't want to read about peoples' concerns about it or need 'light relief' (as you say), then just don't read the thread (a reminder - it is actually meant to be about the M&S planning application). Likewise, if you want to have your 'harmless semantic chat' I would suggest that is EXACTLY what the lounge is for.

first mate Wrote:

> Angelina, for those not directly next to the build

> I am sure you are right. But your observation

> underlines how in some discussions self - interest

> is only allowed to cut one way.

I was being a bit sarky, really. And it IS right under my nose....