A cinema for ED?

On Thursday 17 January THE BIGGER PICTURE FILM CLUB http://www.thebiggerpic.co.uk/ in East Dulwich is showing AMERICAN BEAUTY directed by Sam Mendes and starring Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening.

A middle aged office drone finds himself besotted with his daughter?s teenage friend and sets about reinvigorating his life. An incisive, deliriously funny and profound vision of the American Dream hitting meltdown. ?Intelligent, exhilarating, effervescent film-making? Guardian

The Bigger Picture film club gives its profits to local charities. On Thursday EBONY HORSE CLUB in Brixton http://www.ebonyhorseclub.org.uk/ will receive ?200. A rep will be at the screening to say a few words about this extraordinary charity.

7pm bar/themed snacks

7.50 introduction

8pm film

Free raffle prizes courtesy of Rye Books and Push Studios

Tickets ?7

in person from Push Studios, Blackwater Street; Rye Books, Upland Rd; Locale Restaurant, East Dulwich Rd; EDT, Lordship Lane

or online from WeGotTickets http://www.wegottickets.com/event/197858

Upstairs at East Dulwich Tavern, 1 Lordship Lane, SE22

Future films: http://www.thebiggerpic.co.uk/

Having moved to ED last summer, it seemed that this would have been a great idea. Why not have everything you want on one's doorstep?

However, with the lack of any nearer cinema, we've been pushed to patronising the Peckham Plex to get our fill, and have visited around half a dozen times now. 15-20 minutes to walk from the top half of Lordship Lane, a decent range of films (admittedly quite mainstream) and extremely reasonable prices. It's by no means boutique, but certainly good value and never difficult to get tickets (the only screening that was more than 25% full was the opening night of Skyfall, which was wonderfully rammed).

Whilst perhaps a single screen, high-end affair might be nice to have in ED for the occasional treat, I don't think it would steer us away from regularly using the Peckham Plex, and would heartily recommend it to others too, if they haven't already tried it.

I agree Peckham Plex is great - though sometimes you do get talkers (late at night) - if I wanted a commentary I'd wait for the DVD.

Another great place I discovered recently is Shortwave in Bermondsey, maybe this could be a more achievable for East Duwlcih than something on the size of The Ritzy.

http://www.shortwavefilms.com/

Seats around 35 people, has a bar and cafe attached.

I think there's a lot of good points made against setting-up a cinema in ED.

There does not HAVE to be a cinema in every postcode, we've a multiplex a mile away FFS.

Good luck to whoever who wants to invest the millions for an ED cinema !

Chances are you may not fancy the ED film that's playing when you're free anyway so end-up going to wherever IS showing what you want !

Shortwave is good, I've seen a few films there, also a private screening of a friend's film -it's 30 mins away by 42/78 bus or 30 mins (for me) door-to-door by train from LB.

Peckham plex is ridiculously cheap, is opposite the train station, is connected by 7 different bus routes and lets not forget the abundance of pound shops close by to stock up on snacks. Olivia Colman and Ken Loach have given talks there and in the summer months there is a a rooftop bar. If you dont want to get the train or bus there, Im pretty sure you could get a taxi and still save on the amount that you would normally pay at a multiplex.

Peckham Plex is great for all the reasons mentioned but they dont show arty films or old or niche films. And there IS a film CLUB in pretty much every postcode. To find out what they are all showing and when, there is one website, South East London Film Club Network that is worth checking out when you fancy a film. 24 film clubs in SE London have got together to promote themselves on one website. http://selondonfilmclubs.wordpress.com/ They are all in very different and quirky venues. Nice to shop local before going off to the supermarket.

Announcement was made at the end of 2012 that cinema plans had been given the green light for West Norwood as per the this link. http://lambethnews.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/new-cinema-propsals-for-west-norwood-get-thumbs-up-from-councillors/

I don't think a cinema would be viable in ED due to lack of viable space however a cinema in WN will be a welcome addition :)

Yes, go to the Peckhamplex, it's getting better and better... It was bought up by John Reiss from Soho Premier PR, and he has brought in a new(ish) manager, Marriane Gray (a film journalist) to add more indie and art house films, so you get the mainstream movies and some more low budget arty stuff too...

use or lose it as they say... we are brilliantly lucky to have it!!!

Get yourselves on the Newsletter email list and you'll get all the updates... Peckham Managers

I saw a great documentary about The Birth of british Ska last year and they linked up with the Bussey building's CLF Arts Cafe and did a Ska dj set as a kind of after party... it's all happening in Peckham... come on over ED'ers, you're welcome to join the party

xxCC

Ladysaw Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> just moved into the neighbourhood a couple of

> months ago and told my hubby last night that the

> ONLY thing missing in the area is a cinema. NOT an

> odeon or Vue but a small independent picture house

> with like 3-4 screens :)

>

> but please, make the popcorn affordable :)

by it in Khan's Rye Lane for ?1.00 for a big bag and take it with you!!

Has peckham plex gotten any quieter? I stopped going a few years ago because the audiences were so noisy I couldn't enjoy the films. On one memorable occasion a couple behind me were on a first date and talked at full volume throughout the entire film.. i got tired of asking people to be quiet ( largely unsuccessfully )..

I'd love a little cinema in ED that showed mainstream releases too but in a nice art house cinema atmosphere.. ah well, cant have it all..

Terri Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Absolutely! I would really recommend you consider

> Forest Hill as well. The wetherspoons in Forest

> Hill is a great building and is wasted on

> wetherspoons who have not made the most of the

> building at all. It has an amazing character just

> waiting for someone to return it to its former

> glory. It's also smack bang in the centre of the

> place. There are fantastic transport links with

> the East London line now. The nearest cinema to

> me is Surrey Quays which is everything I hate. So

> no 3D - pah! They have plenty of places to go.

> Quality Independents! yes please.

>

> I hope you do it!

Forest Hill is super close - 5 mins from ED by bus. Also Wetherspoons do not own the Capital, they rent it....problem is no one can afford to pay the rent that Wetherspoons do at the drop of a hat.

It would be fantastic if you lot in this conversation were to come along to our little film club upstairs at the EDT. We havent sold many tickets for this evening. Its so dispiriting when people say they want a local cinema in East Dulwich and then don't come to ours! What can we do to attract you? We put in so much work!