St Christopher's Hospice charity shop

inez

Just wondered if anybody else has ever had the same experience with this place...I recently gave BAGS of stuff to them and only ever saw a couple of things end on the shelves...the shelves always seem empty, too. Is it just a very rapid turnover or do they have other shops they distribute stuff to? Does anyone know of any other charity shops in the area other than the MIND shop (which only seems to want very limited amounts) which are easy to park near? I am doing a big clear out...I'm freecycling stuff but still need to pass on odd bits and pieces to charity shops....thanks

Bought six books there today (cos no Book Swap, Scor!!!).

I've generally found St Christopher's not very helpful when taking stuff but Mind have never been a problem. I have to declare an interest in Mind, however, they are letting my daughter do her D. of Edinburgh volunteer section there, and have been so sweet and helpful to her.

In the past, I've found the charity shop (can't remember which one) in the Blue at Bermondsey the most helpful. There is a car park at the back of it and they've taken in a whole carload of sacks with deep thanks.

If you have a lot, most of the mainstream charities will send a van round if you call them. I'm sure you could Google for the numbers.

I take stuff to the Red Cross shop in Forest Hill where they are friendly and have never said 'no thanks' - parking's difficult there though. There's an Oxfam shop in Herne Hill in Half Moon Lane near the toy shop, I think you could park in a side road, but I don't drive so I'm not sure about parking restrictions around there.

I don't wish to sound like I'm trying to save the starving children of the world with my donations which must number about 10 per year, but a "Thank You" from some of the people in these shops when you drop off some bags of stuff would be nice I have to say...If only for the common courtesy!

The Mind shop used to be quite unhelpful but I have found them very good of late and they have never refused to take anything.

I know it's a way away, but Trinity Hospice on Clapham Common will always take stuff for their shops (in my experience), you can take it to the hospice itself and they store it in a room there, and have loads of storage space (though maybe better phone first) - they've never refused anything either.

They also take foreign coins you don't want kicking around.

St. Christophers - can't say - haven't used it much except for books, which seem to be a lot cheaper than the Mind shop (unless they've put their prices up, haven't been there lately).

Anyone know why the Mind shop doesn't have children's clothes or toys ????

I've been into St Christopher's with loads of nice stuff (because I had got too fat for it - so good condition!) and they were a bit funny, so now I go to another Hospice shop in west London when I drive over that way, where they are really friendly.

I've had the same experience with St. Christopher's as well. Bags of really nice stuff I never wore were brought in and the ladies who took them into the back room didn't reappear again for a long time and they didn't bring anything out... my husband and I joked that they just took it for themselves. I know it sounds terrible, but I now take my stuff to the Red Cross in Chelsea because I know they are a credible charity and I've seen them hanging my stuff out on the racks and they ALWAYS say thank you.

candj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've had the same experience with St.

> Christopher's as well. Bags of really nice stuff

> I never wore were brought in and the ladies who

> took them into the back room didn't reappear again

> for a long time and they didn't bring anything

> out... my husband and I joked that they just took

> it for themselves. I know it sounds terrible, but

> I now take my stuff to the Red Cross in Chelsea

> because I know they are a credible charity and

> I've seen them hanging my stuff out on the racks

> and they ALWAYS say thank you.

I hate to say this but my partners mother volunteered for a charity shop (not in London) and she said that anything nice that came in would go firstly to the staff, then the staff's family and friends and then into the shop, although I'm not saying that they don't pay but they get first dibs. She spoke out about it but they all said that's just the way it was, and not just there. I have worked at jumble sales on books and record stalls and one of the perks of the job was getting the first chance to choose stuff.

When we moved house we had a huge clear out - I took the majority (6 or 7 binliners and some huge framed pictures) to the Oxfam on Half Moon Lane and the rest (electricals which Oxfam can't accept) to the Mind shop. If you pull into the side street to the left of Oxfam and then right into the little carpark at the back they will take your bags through the back entrance and you won't get clobbered for parking without a permit. They were extremely grateful for everything as were the people in the Mind shop.

I used to work in Oxfam in my spare time when I was younger and the staff could buy items before they went out onto the shop floor but only after they had been priced up and the staff paid the full price. I don't see anything wrong with that as the money still goes to the charity... In reality, in the shop I worked in the staff bought very little before it went onto the shelves. It's not the same for clothes being sent overseas being taken by local staff as Gerry points out. I didn't realise that happened.

As long as the staff are paying for it, then I don't see a problem with them getting first choice, but if they are just helping themselves when we all think it's going to charity then that's a whole different story.

On a different note, I remember a few years ago Oxfam, as a donation from someone, got to use a shop premises on Bond Street for 8 months and it was all the rage because they apparently stocked very nice items. I think it brought in a lot of money, as it would!

Does anyone know if St. Christopher's is accepting applications??

Give them a break. I can't bear the tone of some of this thread. I personally am not bothered if the staff take home a few bits and pieces that people are chucking out. They are volunteers in the main . Good luck to them and thanks for giving up their time which most people reading these posts would never be unselfish enough to do.

Just give money directly to St Christopher's Hospice if you feel the charity is being hard done to.

I bet we all know someone who has been treated there.

Forgot to say- my mum works in a charity shop up north and if they get anything they think may be worth a decent amount of money they send the item to the head office and it goes on e bay and then more money made for said charity.

Maybe that happens round here too.

Oh Clare, get real. Just because they are doing a 'nice' thing doesn't preclude them from acting properly. Nicking stuff that punters have given to the shop to raise money for a good cause is not excusable. If you employ your reasoning, you'd be saying it's ok for the cops to pocket a few baubles recovered from a nasty thief because the job they do is hard and demanding. Nero

clare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Give them a break. I can't bear the tone of some

> of this thread. I personally am not bothered if

> the staff take home a few bits and pieces that

> people are chucking out. They are volunteers in

> the main . Good luck to them and thanks for giving

> up their time which most people reading these

> posts would never be unselfish enough to do.

I know quite a lot of older ladies who work in these shops and they get as much out of volunteering as they put in - company, a feeling of being useful, getting out of the house - and yes, I expect the chance to get first choice of items that come in the shop. Of course they are doing a great job, but to think it is a purely altruistic is naive. Anyway they weren't being critised for it, it was just acknowledging that it happens.

Know the hospice team well very very busy because don't put silly prices on things like many. They have no storage facilities so the space is what you see, any staff have to pay for anything they take expensive items are sometimes sent to be valued. Very nice hard working bunch mostly even when nutters come in their threatening them when they try to stop them stealing.