best route to the Olympic Park?

Tanza

Just wondered what people think is the best route to the Olympic Park from East Dulwich?

Anyone tried bus to Forest Hill and train route?

Or is it better to get the Jubilee Line from London Bridge?

Off to the Velodrome tomorrow morning and v grateful for travel suggestions.

On Wed we went on the 6.39 to London Bridge and then Jubilee line. No problems at all. From walking to station to walking through security in Olympic park was 1hr 10min! No stress, no queuing however may be different now that the athletics have started! Not sure what everyone else is doing but worked for us.

Enjoy - absolutely loved our 10hrs at the park and didn't want to leave!!

Honor oak train to white chapel then change to hammersmith and circle or district line to west ham and walk we did it this morning and was a lot easier. Take food as queues were huge. Plenty of toilets and water filling stations near McDonald's Enjoy it's brilliant!!!

Just thought I would mention, I have been travelling to the Park most days this week and the Velodrome is actually to the north of the Park so the nearest Tube is in fact Leyton. If you have to be there early, I would definitely not go to West Ham as this is a really long way from the Velodrome.

I would recommend ELL (Forest Hill or HOP) to Whitechapel, District/H&C to Mile End and then Central to Leyton (this is not as bad as it sounds, as the change at Whitechapel is only a few steps up and at Mile End is the same platform). Jubilee line is fine for Stratford, but it is a long walk to change to Central to get to Leyton and as I say, if you have an early start Leyton is closer.

ALSO, Eton Manor Gate, which is the entrance closest to the Velodrome is much less busy than the Stratford Gate. You can then wander through the park later on and leave via the Stratford Gate so you see everything - just easier to get in at Eton Manor. Anyway, that's my opinion - just thought it was worth mentioning.

You just need to remember that those who had journeys this week and said it was easy did so when there were considerably less people passing through the Park (today was much busier). Tomorrow is Super Saturday with up to 300,000 people coming onto the Park (so I'm reliably informed), which is more than double the numbers there have been most days this week.

This morning I took the 659 from.ed to london bridge, got a seat. Straight in Jubilee line no queues anywhere. Got off at Stratford so well organise. Cleared security in minutes. Was in the park by .750. The atmosphere is amazing!!

Went yesterday about 11.30 walked to Peckham Rye, train to Lewisham, then DLR ( swapped train at Greenwich) to Stratford. Seat all way, no crowd or queue. Barely 1 hour door to door. if you don't want to walk, 484/185 to Lewisham just as good... Enjoy, Athletics yesterday awesome !!

duffy10 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Where do you get the 659 from in ed ?

Northern Pup was referring to the 6.59 train from East Dulwich. We were also on this train this morning (and then Jubilee line to Stratford) and it was super quick, we were there in and through security in under an hour. It was quite a long walk through the park to the Velodrome, as other posters have pointed out, but we were so early the stroll through the park was lovely.

Has anyone made the journey via London Bridge this morning? Or just going via London Bridge to work in the morning around 7 or 8ish? We have tickets for the stadium at 10 and are in Dulwich Village so were thinking about taking the train from North Dulwich or Herne Hill. I need to know if we make a mistake going via London Bridge/Jubilee Line at this time of the day with all the commuters. Thanks!

I had cousins staying who went via London Bridge this morning for athletics. From London Bridge they were diverted out of the station to told to walk over to Monument and then use the West Ham gate entrance to the Olympic park. Anyway they got the 06.55 train from East Dulwich and were in the park by 08.20 and said nothing seemed too busy. So I guess if LB gets too busy they just divert to another route. Might have been faster going another route but this seemed hassle free as far as I can tell.

I have been travelling slightly later this week, today was on the 9.45 ish train from ED (9.42 from ND). Lots of seats, no problem with London Bridge, straight onto Jubillee line, seat, no crowds. I think some people are following the signs for "Olympic venues" which take you out of the main LB station, rather than going down the escalator and straight to the Jubillee line. Maybe it is busier earlier (it wasn't last week when I was on 8.32 train).

My daughter and I travelled up through London Bridge yesterday, got the 7.15am train from East Dulwich, were told there were severe delays on the Jubilee line but went down to check it out ourselves (I was reluctant to walk my five year old up to Liverpool Street as was being suggested) . All fine and we were in Stratford by 8.00am and at our venue by quarter past. As katgod said there were massive signs for the Olympic Park taking you out of London Bridge - I think organisers are trying to spread people around to take pressure off the Jubilee line but we had an incredibly easy journey going this way.

We did Forest Hill overground to Canada Water jubilee line to West Ham yesterday (around 9am) and then the same route back but starting from Stratford (around 5pm). Worked like a charm - busy in places but not rammed by any means.