What happened to the mural? (Lounged)

Sue

From http://www.stanpeskett.com/archive/html/angel.html

The Guy, painter and muralist with over thirty years international experience, created a mural for the Dulwich Festival 1993 with the help of local school children, adults with learning difficulties and other community volunteers. The creation of the mural aimed to unite all the local Dulwich community and to provide a showcase for local talent.

"The only memorial to Blake in London at present is a mural by the painter The Guy, a supporter of Heath's project (the House of William Blake). As a child, Blake had a vision of angels playing in the branches of a tree on Peckham Rye with an Arcadian sunset bursting behind them. The Guy was commissioned by the organiser of last year's Dulwich Festival to create a mural on the side of a Peckham house based on the vision."

"Blake developed a universal language, one which multi-media artists can understand", The Guy says. "He could be the start of a spiritual revival among artists. He is a revolutionary spirit, and that's what we want to capture".

THE TIMES, THURSDAY 12 MAY 1994

"William Blake's Vision of Angels", interpreted by The Guy, is being painted on a wall behind the playground at Goose Green, SE 15 at the junction of East Dulwich Road and Adys Road. Behind the brushes: children from 12 local schools, adults with learning difficulties and members of the community."

HARPERS AND QUEEN "BAROMETER" October 1993

http://www.stanpeskett.com/archive/pics/aftblake.jpg

FFS...!! (6)

Who, exactly, is supposed to have sanctioned this so-called "gentrification" of ED and its surrounds? As someone who has lived here for nigh on two decades, I can say that the regeneration of Lordship Lane etc can only be a good thing. I'd much rather places like Northcross Road were busy with the stalls etc on a Saturday than be a ghost town. The only downside I can really voice any concern about is the hand wringing of some (alledgedly) working class forumites who think that ED is now NAGAIUTB, based on one too many Moo Two type shops and a few over sized buggies.

I think that Keef hit the nail on the head when he said that the mural was looking crap since it had been daubbed with graffiti and tags and I suspect that was the reason for the whitewash. Would it have been better to try to rescue it? Yes, but those same forumites would have undoubtedly lashed out at the (in their eyes) middle classes spending their disposible incomes on it and had a pop at Blake too.

If you want to lay the blame, then do so at the door of those parents who's kids are left to vandalise their neighbourhoods without being pulled up for it. You know who they are. He/she may even be your little darling. Perhaps if there were more, decent (quality) parents about then places like ED wouldn't have gone downhill to the point where they require gentrification.

On this basis alone, give me gentrification any day. It's actually called progress.

perhaps they are going to repaint it?

or replace with a contemporary East Dulwich scene - eg: a breastfeeding mum with a tripple buggy, a chap with a rogue frappacappucino, maybe a foxtons mini being graffitied (we can only hope!)...

it would be nice to have the mural back

Yo ding dang doo...who you calling working class ? Actually it's the simple fact that something which has so much local input "children from 12 local schools, adults with learning difficulties and members of the community." should also have a lot of local input as to it's removal.....if your kids are f...ing up the environment then keep them indoors. As for Decent quality parents that is usually down to shit schools for decades. A little bit of graffiti can be easily rectified no worries. No doubt someone/group let it go on in order to get this thing removed. I would rather my money be spent on cleaning up this mural than on some bollox being built on the Goose Green roundabout

Sorry for any confusion, I was indeed talking about the one opposite the side of the EDT, NOT the Blakey one, which is still there, thank goodness!

And yes it was graffitied (?sp?) but it was still very lovely and better than the bare wall there now which you can see dim traces of the mural through, grammar.

Can't think how I never noticed it was gone. I have lived in ED on and off for sixteen years, and it was part of the charm of ED to me.

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thats outrageous if that is true. That mural

> depicted William Blake's vision in Peckham Rye and

> had had a lot of well thought out local

> references. Which ignorant tit did that.

Er.... didn't I say that it would have been better to fix the mural? Must be those 'shit schools' you talk of, not learning you to read proper.

Allfornun said "No doubt someone/group let it go on in order to get this thing removed". Excellent. A conspiracy theory too! Or tosh, perhaps.

And as for the whole class/gentrification business, I don't think I've had a coversation about class or even considered my own class status for at least a decade but this forum thrives on it. Not old things Old Skool are cool, y'know.

Oh well, shame about the one by the side of the EDT that was very old. They chose to save those kind of things around westbourne grove, infact some of them are listed.

Glad your Old Skool, afterall it is the last retreat of a middle class who have lost touch with Fashion. And no of course there are no shit school's another conspiracy obviously.

Ps..how longs a decade ?