Ignoring lockdown in ED

binkylilyput Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hands up who has a garden, balcony or outside

> space?

>

> Yep, thought so

Balcony - but I hate the Sun (newspaper too) and prefer overcast and drizzle - always have - not sure if that means something - certainly wouldn't sunbathe.

It actually annoys me when weather people refer to sunny weather as if we all look forward to it.

I have but it's been unusable except for weekends until the last 2 weeks due to noise and dust from the builders next door. They have put a fence up but there is still noise, and I've got roadworks outside to look forward to starting on Monday.

With vulnerable adults and people trying to work in the house it's a joke- and no lifting of the lockdown for the foreseeable.

And judging from these photos in the DM it looks grim for the future

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8273783/UK-announces-coronavirus-deaths-hospitals.html?ito=push-notification&ci=14128&si=1160965

The point being that those with available outside space need to be kinder and stop finger pointing at those who choose to sit down in a park within a safe distance from others for a little bit.

Not having outside space available (which the vast majority of East Dulwichers do) during this time is really harsh.

As with most things, this lockdown is hitting the socially disadvantaged hardest.......and the judgements and scandal from people who have no need to sit in a park is really shameful.

I think best due to ignore (avoid) East Dulwich all together From what I read on this site it appears to have turned into a set from Escape from New York with dangerous joggers, wild dogs and stir crazy hipsters wandering around in gangs. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082340/ Fortunately much better vibe in neighbouring areas. Good film for the lock down by the way.

LAst week I was running down a pavement towards four people, all 20 somethings, walking abreast across the width of the pavement next to each other - they refused change formation to allow others past, and didnt narrow up even though it wasnt possible to get in road at that spot - I politely called out 'social distancing please' to them as they refused to make room for others and they said 'but we all live together' as I was channelled to run right past them. They refused to move for anyone - very selfish.

As a runner I proactively get in the road at the earliest opportunity when I see people, and I always say thank you to those who wait for me unexpectedly - but please pedestrians, you have responsibilities too...

My wife and I exercise walk together and frequently walk in single file to allow passage of others. Only parents with young children should be walking together as you've described above. If we all achieved sensitive pavement usage thinking of others that would be good.

Perhaps the pedestrians thought you were commenting on their closeness to one another, not to yourself.

In this instance why not just run around the cars parked on kerbside, or stop and stand to one side (between cars ?) as the FOUR pedestrians passed ?

This seems to be the difference between runners and walkers in these situations, walkers are able to stop/slow-down/negotiate, runners seems more inclined to continue momentum (they are out for a RUN after all!).

Unfortunately, sounds like distance wasn't kept, between the 5 of you that's what you decided.

The virus doesn't care who was at fault, or felt entitlement, you've got a couple of weeks now to see if that instance infected you - you'll probably never know whether you infected any of the other four (and by association their families and vulnerable people).

jimlad48 Wrote:

> LAst week I was running down a pavement towards

> four people, all 20 somethings, walking abreast

> across the width of the pavement next to each

> other - they refused change formation to allow

> others past, and didnt narrow up even though it

> wasnt possible to get in road at that spot - I

> politely called out 'social distancing please' to

> them as they refused to make room for others and

> they said 'but we all live together' as I was

> channelled to run right past them. They refused to

> move for anyone - very selfish.

>

> As a runner I proactively get in the road at the

> earliest opportunity when I see people, and I

> always say thank you to those who wait for me

> unexpectedly - but please pedestrians, you have

> responsibilities too...

Kidkruger

As noted, at the one specific spot, it was not possible to enter or safely run in the road.

The 4 people were walking line abreast, blocking the entire pavement for anyone - not just runners. I do my best to be as considerate as possible, I would have appreciated it if these people had done likewise.

There are no soft options. This country is failing badly. In no small part due to the lack of observation of the rules. This mentality of "being kind" about it and "what's the problem if people are distancing" is one of the reasons we have one of the worst death rates in Europe. It's not OK to go out unless you are exercising or shopping and even then you need to be careful. Why is your exceptionalism more important than anything else? Go to the park but don't sit around in it.

binkylilyput Wrote:

> The point being that those with available outside

> space need to be kinder and stop finger pointing

> at those who choose to sit down in a park within a

> safe distance from others for a little bit.

>

> Not having outside space available (which the vast

> majority of East Dulwichers do) during this time

> is really harsh.

>

> As with most things, this lockdown is hitting the

> socially disadvantaged hardest.......and the

> judgements and scandal from people who have no

> need to sit in a park is really shameful.

We?ve been failed by a government bathing in the glow of British exceptionalism and not enacting sensible measures at the appropriate time. We?ve suffered from underfunding essential services, not providing appropriate PPE and leaving care homes out to dry as the residents are old and therefore not seen as a priority. This has got very little to do with people jogging, walking, sitting in parks enjoying a bit of sunshine or buying ice creams and respecting distancing measures as they do it.

edcam Wrote:

> There are no soft options. This country is

> failing badly. In no small part due to the lack

> of observation of the rules. This mentality of

> "being kind" about it and "what's the problem if

> people are distancing" is one of the reasons we

> have one of the worst death rates in Europe. It's

> not OK to go out unless you are exercising or

> shopping and even then you need to be careful.

> Why is your exceptionalism more important than

> anything else? Go to the park but don't sit

> around in it.

>

> binkylilyput Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The point being that those with available

> outside

> > space need to be kinder and stop finger

> pointing

> > at those who choose to sit down in a park within

> a

> > safe distance from others for a little bit.

> >

> > Not having outside space available (which the

> vast

> > majority of East Dulwichers do) during this

> time

> > is really harsh.

> >

> > As with most things, this lockdown is hitting

> the

> > socially disadvantaged hardest.......and the

> > judgements and scandal from people who have no

> > need to sit in a park is really shameful.

Millions of people, especially in London, are living in overcrowded or unsuitable housing. Others may be experiencing domestic abuse.

Or simply it could be they are working hard in a small flat with little or no outdoor space and need a few minutes to themselves.

here we go again, it's so easy to find fault, suppose you'd like a different Govt, now let me guess what that may be???

Rather than being negative, how about everyone coming together for the national good. You, me, no one knows how long this lock down will go on for. It's about stopping the NHS being over whelmed, unlike other healthcare systems in other European countries, saving lives doing so by staying home and only going out when necessary.

At some future date no doubt there'll be a Select Committee will scrutinise the actions of the Govt. in relation to how they handles Covid 19. Being a Minister right now, be it health, business, home, FCO or which ever one you choose is probably the hardest bit of the job they've ever had to go. None of them where trained to deal with this, they're doing the best they can based on the information given to them by the different organisations feeding into them.

Yeslovewhatcanigetu Wrote:

> We?ve been failed by a government bathing in the

> glow of British exceptionalism and not enacting

> sensible measures at the appropriate time. We?ve

> suffered from underfunding essential services, not

> providing appropriate PPE and leaving care homes

> out to dry as the residents are old and therefore

> not seen as a priority. This has got very little

> to do with people jogging, walking, sitting in

> parks enjoying a bit of sunshine or buying ice

> creams and respecting distancing measures as they

> do it.

>

> edcam Wrote:

> -----

> > There are no soft options. This country is

> > failing badly. In no small part due to the

> lack

> > of observation of the rules. This mentality of

> > "being kind" about it and "what's the problem

> if

> > people are distancing" is one of the reasons we

> > have one of the worst death rates in Europe.

> It's

> > not OK to go out unless you are exercising or

> > shopping and even then you need to be careful.

> > Why is your exceptionalism more important than

> > anything else? Go to the park but don't sit

> > around in it.

> >

> > binkylilyput Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > The point being that those with available

> > outside

> > > space need to be kinder and stop finger

> > pointing

> > > at those who choose to sit down in a park

> within

> > a

> > > safe distance from others for a little bit.

> > >

> > > Not having outside space available (which the

> > vast

> > > majority of East Dulwichers do) during this

> > time

> > > is really harsh.

> > >

> > > As with most things, this lockdown is hitting

> > the

> > > socially disadvantaged hardest.......and the

> > > judgements and scandal from people who have

> no

> > > need to sit in a park is really shameful.

In fairness you know nothing of my political leanings and I?d criticise a government of any colours, if I felt they were failing us. And that?s what I think of this government. I?m absolutely up for coming together in the national interest, I just think that berating those that want to buy an ice cream isn?t the way to do it.

There are some serious failings, go to any of the more serious TV programmes (I only do Peston and Newsnight generally but the non-terrestrial channels will have their serious programmes too) and hear some people who are experts. As I say some of this is fine in hindsight but someone else pointed out that we are where we are with regards to preparations but response is another issue. I expect that those not following social distancing are only are now only a relatively minor contribution as compared to not ensuring that our front line response facilities are not keeping free of Coronavirus.

It is fair to challenge government - a poor Cabinet without anyone taking proper charge in the PMs absence. To be politically neutral the implosion and near implosion of the Lib Dems and Labour party hasn't helped but it is not for them to come up with ways forward - unless as part of a government of national unity. We are not in a single party state, and whilst there are things to admire about China in terms of the thoroughness of response (and lots to criticise too) few of us would prefer their from of government. Or we could be split down the middle like the states where half the population think the President is an idiot, and the other half...... Oh and the big B elephant in the room.

Relaxation of the lockdown which hasn't even started yet ?

Yep - sounds like the UK !

JohnL Wrote:

> 26th May being bandied around as a possible first

> relaxation of the lockdown

Yeslovewhatcanigetu Wrote:

> In fairness you know nothing of my political

> leanings and I?d criticise a government of any

> colours, if I felt they were failing us. And

> that?s what I think of this government. I?m

> absolutely up for coming together in the national

> interest, I just think that berating those that

> want to buy an ice cream isn?t the way to do it.

Well said!

KidKruger Wrote:

> Relaxation of the lockdown which hasn't even

> started yet ?

> Yep - sounds like the UK !

>

> JohnL Wrote:

> -----

> > 26th May being bandied around as a possible

> first

> > relaxation of the lockdown

our lockdown doesn't compare to Spain where they only just got allowed out to exercise.

even if we eventually have an inquiry i'm not sure how they would measure success or failure -the government is going to be adamant they did the best they could and i don't think we'll see much about the decisions made (in SAGE for instance)

Lordship lane and Dulwich park were absolutely heaving this afternoon, I was walking home from work incidentally. Maybe the lockdown measures should be toughened. In Spain people were literally confined indoors.

Had enough now. I started this thread about the people sitting on the benches outside the Palmerston on Lordship Lane. Once again, I had to go to Lloyds pharmacy on North Ross Road to collect a prescription. 3.20om, every bench outside the pub was taken up by luvvies with their takeaway coffees, 3 or 4 at each table, enjoying the sun. Not at all bothered. Well Palmerston pub, your benches might be fixed to the ground but there's no excuse. Enjoy your fine. Reporting you.