Inside 72 - selling up

macroban

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If we get hold of the premises I reckon we can go

> one better than 72 by reopening Number 73.

> Just what is Sandi Toksvig up to these days

> anyway?

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you! Naughty Toksvig!

Oh that my first post on the forum is about something so sad!

Only been in ED a few months, but 72 is my favourite by far...apart from when I'm dragging my shopping home and the pesky smokers are outside impeding my way ;-)

I have very mixed views on the smoking ban. But booooooooooo if that's the cause.

I want to know where the staff go to work when they are let go as they play great music. 72 was worth going into just for that although I love everything else about it too. Am gutted it is closing as it was one of the reasons we were able to tear ourselves away from brixton. All the other bars are a bit too "nice" and souless. LL will be the worse for it.

I too love the music of Inside 72 - do you think we could get them to write down a playlist before they close?! How would you describe their music anyway (genre wise I mean, not that I know anything about musical genres) - on the off chance I could find somewhere else with such good music!

edited for clarity

The comments about the music in inside 72 are heartening and go to prove my theory that most people actually like real music and not the fabricated crap that is piped out in most places. Now if only the proprietors of other places (and radio stations for that matter) would wake up and smell the coffee.

wee quinnie Wrote:

> I've never been in there, so for my enlightenment

> what sort of artists/musics do they play? Can you

> name names, because I am not good on genres.

You know what; I was there on Saturday and embarrassingly can?t remember any specific songs. :-S But I put that down to have being a bit intoxicated after being in pubs all day watching rugby.

I can say that in the past Public Enemy, the Pixies and the Ramones are all bands that stick in my head that I have heard in on previous occasions,

When I've been in there, they've had a good line in 60s garage, Hendrix and dirty southern rawk going on..

..but don't forget, kids, that though the place may die (RIP), we can repatriate an alternative venue and keep the spirit alive! I for one would be MORE than happy to spin some Nuggets/Pebbels-era classics at a suitable venue.. But is there anywhere else in ED with that kind of vibe to it? Closest I've found is the Gowlett (not strictly ED, I know, I know) that doesn't have too 'varied' a clientele to be put off by a blast of West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band or the Electric Prunes..

ojm Wrote:

> When I've been in there, they've had a good line

> in 60s garage, Hendrix and dirty southern rawk

> going on..

>

> ..but don't forget, kids, that though the place

> may die (RIP), we can repatriate an alternative

> venue and keep the spirit alive! I for one would

> be MORE than happy to spin some

> Nuggets/Pebbels-era classics at a suitable venue..

> But is there anywhere else in ED with that kind of

> vibe to it? Closest I've found is the Gowlett (not

> strictly ED, I know, I know) that doesn't have too

> 'varied' a clientele to be put off by a blast of

> West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band or the

> Electric Prunes..

Music to my ears - if not too much of a pun...... let me know and I'll be there.

Do you get your music from the stall at Greenwich market.

Cassius Wrote:

> Music to my ears - if not too much of a pun......

> let me know and I'll be there.

Awesome - appreciate the enthusiasm! Will definitely have to give this a go, then.

> Do you get your music from the stall at Greenwich

> market.

Yep, have bought some gems from here. Otherwise, usual online retailers. Discovered a lot of genuine classics through turnmeondeadman.net, which I'd HIGHLY recommend.

• 3 weeks later...

Brendan Wrote:

> The comments about the music in inside 72 are

> heartening and go to prove my theory that most

> people actually like real music and not the

> fabricated crap that is piped out in most places.

> Now if only the proprietors of other places (and

> radio stations for that matter) would wake up and

> smell the coffee.

Can I recommend 6 music as a radio station to you brendan, its a digital radio station that never and I mean never plays crap music (just avoid sat afternoon around 2pm with john holmes who is a twat and sundays are more chat with steven merchant than music but other than that it is all good). It plays up and coming bands but some dj's particularly the ones on weekday evenings like mark riley play a really good mix of old and new indie stuff and also some completely random music. There are always live sessions on in the weekday evenings too. Most of the dj's are or used to be in bands so are into music proper. I hardly watch tv anymore now because of it. If you dont have a dab radio, get one or you can get it on freeview and online.