Scotland - Independence Referundum

Marmora Man

If the NO vote prevails and we stay wed to each other, then what will become on Alex Salmond. Would he still lead his party with authority, or would he diminish into the shadows (eventually)

I'm pro the vote, but for the Union

Ireland will one day end up as 'one' I feel, some way off tho

"not many Irish would rekindle that particular relationship"

whilst true it's not quite the same is it. Scotland enterd into this voluntarily and did pretty well out of the whole deal historically.

If people feel its time to end the partnership then fair enough, just do it for the right reasons; comments like that imply that this is about a proud little nation getting out from under the oppresive heel of the english, which is a narrative that is being disingenuously exploited by some of the yes campaign.

Disappointing not to get the debate on a channel here in Westminster.. I mean, England.

We get to 'enjoy' Question Time on a regular basis from Scotland and Wales; why not this when it's proper big stuff?

I predict quite close but 'no'.

George Osborne was on radio yesterday saying if we stay together we're looking at plans for them to set their own taxes and benefit rates.

Which to me is a bit shit, we're either "all in it together" (bollocks) or we're not.

Alec Salmond is a big fish in a rather small political pond. Last nights debate showed how vulnerable his ideas are when put up against a more experienced political heavy weight. If only Cameron had the balls to defy all the critics and confront him in the same manner I think the people of Scotland, regardless of political affiliation, would be smart enough to intelligently make up their own minds based on the clear facts rather than the emotional patriotic bluster that the SNP dish up in abundance. Well done Alistair Darling for taking Salmond on and showing him up for what he really is.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alec Salmond is a big fish in a rather small

> political pond. Last nights debate showed how

> vulnerable his ideas are when put up against a

> more experienced political heavy weight. If only

> Cameron had the balls to defy all the critics and

> confront him in the same manner I think the people

> of Scotland, regardless of political affiliation,

> would be smart enough to intelligently make up

> their own minds based on the clear facts rather

> than the emotional patriotic bluster that the SNP

> dish up in abundance. Well done Alistair Darling

> for taking Salmond on and showing him up for what

> he really is.

>

> Louisa.

Given that what's on offer in the referendum can't be called full independence and sovereignty and given that both major parties down here are offering a form of devo max, I think Salmond has already won.

StraferJack Wrote:

Many Irish

> voted against independence for similar reasons a

> hundred odd years ago but not many Irish would

> rekindle that particular relationship

Which vote do you mean SJ? I believe many were against the Rising in 1916 which changed after the executions. But I don't think there was ever a vote on the subject around that time. Am I wrong?

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think they probably see it as breaking away from

> "English rule"

Which is ironic - given the way above their 'natural share' of Scottish PMs and ministers that have 'ruled' England

I did wonder if it was put to the vote, though I suppose essentially a civil war might be a form of referendum on the nature of that independence ;)

And Alan definitely has it in that prior to the brutal crack down of and executions after the rising, most folk them thought them fools getting in the way of inevitable home rule, which by all rights they really should have had by then anyway.

Stupid blimmin world wars....

Louisa Wrote:

> Alec Salmond is a big fish in a rather small

> political pond. Last nights debate showed how

> vulnerable his ideas are when put up against a

> more experienced political heavy weight. If only

> Cameron had the balls to defy all the critics and

> confront him in the same manner I think the people

> of Scotland, regardless of political affiliation,

> would be smart enough to intelligently make up

> their own minds based on the clear facts rather

> than the emotional patriotic bluster that the SNP

> dish up in abundance. Well done Alistair Darling

> for taking Salmond on and showing him up for what

> he really is.

>

> Louisa.

Unfortunately people don't think that way. It may have been economically beneficial for India, Ireland, USA, Australia etc. to have remained part of the British Empire, but some people have this mad emotional need to run their own affairs.

That's why this referendum is really about your personal feelings, and is in a sense politically neutral.

Yes poor Scotland so oppressed by England er I mean Westminster cough cough...

Despite the fact that health, education, legal system are quite different already and have always been as far as I can remember (& I'm an old git), what the hell sideshow is Holyrood with this bunch of second-rate politicians. Don't especially like Labour but Darling showed Salmond up for the small minded parochial sneering little man that he is. I can't abide him and his divisive claptrap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...