The Brits....

????

....sad that a country that once punched way above its weight in global popular music and way, way, above its weight for youth culture...is left with this dire, shite as a modern representative of our musical 'elite'.

*walks away shaking head listening to the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Clash...to name a few

God it was painful. Watched it with me dinner, and it was embarrassing, not in a funny way, more like the office but without the laughs.

Vic Reeves, yeah you were funny once mate, but stumbling on drunk, blithering something not really surreal or funny and then smiling in a self-satisfied smug way isn't really comedy now is it.

As for the winners, well, it's never had the greatest credibility has it, but Take That were humble and grateful "37 and a dancer, I've got an arthritic knee and he punctured a lung dancing on tour" said, err, one of the ones that look quite like the other one. Good on them though.

Katie Nash, sweet girl, fun songs, but why a half finished album of ditties should beat PJ Harvey's masterpiece?!?

Dave Grohl's acceptance speech was fantastic though, deadpan "Wow a brit, Huey Lewis and the News, Lisa Loeb and err I join this great list of winners".

Sadly even away from the mainstream Britain doesn't seem to be producing a great deal of note at the moment, most of my recent stuff seems to have come from the US, Canada, Sweden, France and Iceland, with even Mali doing rock better than anyone here.

Definitely a low point in the industry at the moment. Rubbish Music, rubbish telly, what's going on?

Actually I say rubbish telly, I switched of and watched the Art of Spain on iPlayer, brilliant, please please please Auntie Beeb, can we have more like that.

mockney piers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> God it was painful. Watched it with me dinner, and

> it was embarrassing, not in a funny way, more like

> the office but without the laughs.

> Vic Reeves, yeah you were funny once mate, but

> stumbling on drunk, blithering something not

> really surreal or funny and then smiling in a

> self-satisfied smug way isn't really comedy now is

> it.

>

> As for the winners, well, it's never had the

> greatest credibility has it, but Take That were

> humble and grateful "37 and a dancer, I've got an

> arthritic knee and he punctured a lung dancing on

> tour" said, err, one of the ones that look quite

> like the other one. Good on them though.

> Katie Nash, sweet girl, fun songs, but why a half

> finished album of ditties should beat PJ Harvey's

> masterpiece?!?

>

> Dave Grohl's acceptance speech was fantastic

> though, deadpan "Wow a brit, Huey Lewis and the

> News, Lisa Loeb and err I join this great list of

> winners".

>

> Sadly even away from the mainstream Britain

> doesn't seem to be producing a great deal of note

> at the moment, most of my recent stuff seems to

> have come from the US, Canada, Sweden, France and

> Iceland, with even Mali doing rock better than

> anyone here.

>

> Definitely a low point in the industry at the

> moment. Rubbish Music, rubbish telly, what's going

> on?

>

> Actually I say rubbish telly, I switched of and

> watched the Art of Spain on iPlayer, brilliant,

> please please please Auntie Beeb, can we have more

> like that.

Yeh - I've been watching The ARt of Spain as well - what a top top show.

It was fantastic wasn't it. Not just his enthusiasm, but the way he was able to get stuff across clearly, without a hint of high-falutin' condescension and lots of substance, real genuine insights and musings.

Brilliant moment when the lady who lives in the Gaud? designed apartment tells him off for leaving the lift open and he's genuinely aghast that he may have offended this sweet woman who's invited them into her home in this amazing building.

And I had no idea about the aftermath of the famous battle at Belchite having been left destroyed as a testament to the lunacy of war. Fascinating move by a military dictatorship frankly.

atila the gooner Wrote:

> For me, award shows like this seem to fly in the

> face of what rock/pop music is supposed to be

> about i.e. anti establishment, rebellion etc.

> which is why I hate them, they're so "Hollywood".

You've nailed it for me there Atila. Well said.

The whole thing about the Brits is that it's about who sells how many records blah blah blah. It's a music industry backslapping shebang for mediocrity.

I have attended the Brits on several occasions and they are DULL DULL DULL. That's why so many people get pissed at the Brits - to relieve the tedium of the night. I didn't go yesterday and I didn't watch it on TV either (I don't own a TV). I went to bed early with my book last night. Sounds like I made the right choice. Lucky me. I do think Dave Grohl is really hot though.

dulwichmum Wrote:

> Indeed Ratty, did you see those perfect cheek

> bones! That man is a god (swoon...)

>

> http://www.take-that.co.uk/bandmembers/gary/pictur

> es/or.jpg

I didn't realise I missed it either. :-S

Anyhoo - DM, I am surprised that you like Gary Barlow. I've noticed we have quite similar tastes in men, but I really can't stand him.

Darling Annasfield,

I think that the attraction for me with Gary Barlow is that he loves his kids so much. I adored my father, and when I see Gary Barlow with his children, it just knocks me out. I would never swap my husband for Gary you understand, I just love to see lovely daddy's enjoying their kids. (I must admit that I also loved him before he had his kids, I saw him playing Earls Court wearing rubber trousers at one point OHMYGOD! - that kind of image never leaves a girl!):-$

i think anyone that tunes into the brits expecting it to represent anything real about the music 'scene' rather than 'industry' is rather naive.

i thought the fearne bits behind stage were classic, the fact that one of the winners when asked 'has it sunk in yet' replied 'well i've known since last year' and every time a phone line was mentioned a lengthy clause about being charged but not counted was added.