Lockdown? Bah Humbug!!

Well folks, based on what I saw today down Northcross Market, folks packed together almost shoulder to shoulder munching on pulled pork and popcorn, mulled wine and coffee, barely a mask in sight, a real super spreader extravaganza indeed.If you're thinking of taking an elderly relative or anybody with pre-existing conditions for a stroll through the market, think hard before doing so, it's clearly a place for the young and the immune only.I'd like to have shared some photos but naming and shaming isn't cool or allowed.

It's been a rather light lockdown, in contrast to the Spring/Summer one. Coffee shops and markets still open. The R-number is on the decrease however. The pubs are opening next week but going for a few pints is still off the cards unless a 'substantial' meal is ordered, although last orders is 10 pm..?

Great Exhibition had loads of people milling around outside, was shocked by the numbers at the market and how many had beers in hand and seemed to be meeting friends and Tippler had more people outside than they would normally have inside. Went down to the Lane again to grab a take-away about an hour ago and still loads of people outside Tippler. One can only presume these people have got the vaccine before anyone else!

Unfortunately some people seem hell-bent on ignoring any guidance and don't realise they could be the ones sending us into tier three in just over two weeks.

Yeah something about the Great Exhibition beer seems to make drinkers forget to bin their empty plastic beakers - instead it makes them leave the plastic cups on the pavement where they were sat, on house front walls where they stood, or on car roofs and bonnets. Loads of them.

Plenty public bins and house bins around. No excuse !

I do not always wear a mask when out in the open air.

Walked through the market early afternoon. It was Rammed.

There were so many people eating in the street. Obviously not wearing a mask.

It was difficult to walk down Northcross Road.

I quickly put on MY Mask. Very worrying. Not Safe.

DulwichFox

I was working in the westend today and when I left work at 8pm the pavements were full of people strolling around looking at the lights and just gathering round takeaway food stands and riding in those rickshaw things, crowds round buskers it didn't feel like lockdown at all.

Some people are in denial or feel immune.

As an over 60 who has had to work through this whole lockdown and had to have two covid tests in the past month and had to self isolate for two weeks because of a colleague getting covid I can honestly say Covid is real and its bloody scary.

I walked down the hill to the Plough and was disappointed not to see anyone misbehaving. On the way back I got a paper and someone in the shop was not wearing a mask. Absolutely shocking. It's not a laughing matter but please do get a life everyone....

i don't have the answers but my question is how do you get the minority, albeit sizeable, to behave.

Had an appointment at the dulwich medical centre saturday afternoon(Physio) large groups around the Great Exhibition drinking ... also along crystal palace road, lots of young adults some with fold up chairs drinking in the street, some right outside the medical centre by the kerb and in the road.... I get it, Its not been a good year, & you want to meet your mates, But this seemed really antisocial, it just felt like a group of very entitled people who didn't care... right outside peoples houses too making a right noise & leaving plastic cups all over the place.

If this is outside, and if you do not yourself spend time talking to these people, then your risk level is comparatively low (theirs will be higher if they are talking together for longer than 10 minutes or so, without masks).

The number of infected in Southwark now is estimated to be around 1600-1700 (by the Zoe Covid app) - out of a population of 300k. Many of those will be symptomatic and isolating, I would hope. So the chances of these being carriers are probably quite slim (but less than vanishingly so).

The issue is a lot of people are following the rules whilst some, clearly, aren't. The rules are there for a reason and the more who start openly flaunting them the more others says, well if they aren't why should I....and before you know it the infections increase very quickly and we are back to square one. It's a bad sign if days before the second lockdown lifts people are already ignoring the guidance.

Penguin68 wrote:

> your risk level is comparatively low

> (theirs will be higher if they are

> talking together for longer than 10

> minutes or so, without masks).

You seem to envisage some kind of step function relating time spent talking together and infection risk.