ED Ten Years From Now...?

RockyZool

Or alternatively London bucks the trend of a Euro wide recession and continues to be a safe haven for all the worlds rich - an influx of Chinese money seeking to hedge against Yuan devlauation floods into prime London property.The spill over effect into rising desirable araes such as East Dulwich is profound. 10% year on year increases means a million quid for the simplest family house apeing Clapham prices and the gentrified area sans edgy mega council blocks alllows gentrification to continue apace. The Underground finally reaches us sending prices through the roof and a tram interchange compounds the postive effect. An engaged local councillor James Barber finds national attention as a switched on engaged digital representative and his careful husbandry ensure middle class ED continues to garner the lions share of council services such as a revitalised Dulwich baths, library community centre and thriving schools. The middle class schools engagment ensures private style quality at state tax paid prices further compounding the ED bounty.

As each pov resident moves out they are replaced by diamond edge high end professionals that bring money,refined tastes and a desire for the best things in life. James Nesbitt moves back joining fellow actors in a rush to cement its elite bohemian ideals. DMC clsoes down and is bought out by a BUPA private clinic where those with access to private health insurance enjoy on-demand 24/7 health care of the finest quality. A Harrods Express opens on the old Londis site testing the waters for a premium branded local store whcih is a resounding success. Cameron having lost the leadership election to Boris in 2013 is rumpoured to be looking at Dulwich Village which redoubles a stellar Dulwich effect.

Homemade has expanded into Barrys as a thriving bistro/cafe and jazz cafe / arts cinema centre. Ritzy.ed is a resounding success as an alternative Indie cinema follwoing a groundbreaking decision to build an eco community artspace on Peckham Rye replacing the old pre-fabs and bringing to life a night time park in what was once a dark and dangerous open space. Nunhead experinces considerable postive spillover and a thriving music scene and Brixton Village foodie scene graduates into this once unregarded community. New residents of 2102 privately celebarte their good taste and foresight to bet big on the next wave.

"I am about to buy my first property and am buying it in ED. "

Hope you've budgeted for a professional firm of cleaners, equipped with steam machines... some Estate Agents promise that a property will be left clean for you, and then jump ship. I am serious. In an era of triumph for contagious disease, antibiotics don't work on everything any more, - oh, and Sainsbury's sell those disinfectant wipes, OK

Burbage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In ten years time, whatever the agents may have

> told you*, ED will boast no underground station,

> trains will still take 30 minutes to crawl the

> five miles to Victoria

xxxxxx

You'll have a long wait for a train from ED to Victoria - as there aren't any :))

ED will continue it's journey to a Clapham style gentrification with pockets of those who don't have a disposable income on the DKH estate, Dawson Heights and Lordship Lane Estate, although those three estates will see an influx of affluent middle class people with more money than sense buy the leaseholds from those remaining council and housing association tenants who decide to move to the likes of Stoke and Rochdale where the cost of living is cheaper.

ED finally gets on the East London line with an extension to Wimbledon replacing the Thameslink Wimbledon loop. The Southwark Rail Users Group go on the final ED to LB service. However the Victoria to London Bridge service is finally re-instated after TfL take over from all rail franchises within London.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a middle class person whose moved into DKH estate, i don't have more money than sense, i do now have a flat worth a lot more than it was 6 months ago. Plenty of others are like me, first time buyers. The rest are buy to let. It'll be a good mix I think, unlike the rest of ED.

RockyZool Wrote:

> All,

>

> I am about to buy my first property and am buying

> it in ED.

>

> I have read lots about ED being the destination

> for the Clapham Exodus.

>

> Having lived n clapham, I do hope this isn't the

> case.

>

> I was keen to take your thoughts on how ED has

> progressed over the last 10 years, but was

> particularly keen to take views on what we should

> ED to be like a further 10 years from now.

>

> Will it be able to stave off a McDonalds and

> continue to function without a bloody Primark, Tk

> Maxx, KFC etc. In short will ED be able to retain

> its charm while at the same time continue to rise

> in terms of value and stock.

>

> Over to you.

Hopefully it will merge with Peckham & become SE15,

And bring the ED snobs down a peg or too.

What's wrong with Primark & TK Maxx?

Especially TK Maxx. I love to shop there but can rarely afford it.

Posts like yours really irritate me.

Some of us have never been lucky enough to own/buy our own houses, but we still have to live,

And rely on these cheaper retailers to survive.

ratty Wrote:

> In ten years time it will no longer exist, having

> disappeared up it's own arse in September 2016.

Laughed my tits off at this! Your not wrong. I'm not pigeon holing everyone in ED but by god there is an awful lot of stuck up, pretentious people living here.

Billy Connolly hit the nail on the head when he was quoted saying - "he gets on well with working-class and upper-class as both groups of people had nothing to prove to anyone; the working-class knew who they were; the upper-class had so much money they had no need to prove anything."

Too many middle class snobs In ED and their gaggle of snotty obnoxious children running around trying to rule the world.

KFC, McDonalds, Primark & Wetherspoons on the high street? it's just round the corner!

???? Wrote:

> ...and who exactly is being snotty and obnoxious

> on this thread? Unpleasant chippiness is really

> just that.

>

>

> quids in sticking up for middle classes shocker

That's inflation for you quids... it'll go down with an Alka Selzer

You've confused yourself m&m fairy - if the middle classes are 'snobs' they wouldn't be shopping at Primark, eating at McD's and drinking at Wetherspoons would they?

Am I right in saying you used to run Jack's cafe serving frittatas and pastrami (surely the snack du jour of the middle class snob)? Hating your customers and abusing them on social media probably won't help your business much?

Maybe that's why they don't run it any more! Can't be fun if you dislike 50% of your customers that much.

But of course there is snobbery here... people with grandiose delusions, and the gleefully upwardly mobile hoping that LL will morph into a clone of the more expensive area they couldn't afford. Surely this also happens all over London though.

RockyZool Wrote:

> All,

>

> I am about to buy my first property and am buying

> it in ED.

>

> I have read lots about ED being the destination

> for the Clapham Exodus.

>

> Having lived n clapham, I do hope this isn't the

> case.

>

> I was keen to take your thoughts on how ED has

> progressed over the last 10 years, but was

> particularly keen to take views on what we should

> ED to be like a further 10 years from now.

>

> Will it be able to stave off a McDonalds and

> continue to function without a bloody Primark, Tk

> Maxx, KFC etc. In short will ED be able to retain

> its charm while at the same time continue to rise

> in terms of value and stock.

>

> Over to you.

Left ED in 1977 and I think you have taken away any remaining aspiration I might ever have nurtured of returning to it for a London base.

Fairly curious response there Santerme.

Not entire surely that my hope for ED to stay on its current course of balancing gentrification whilst enhancing its a truly independent feel, should be quite such an abhorrent concept for you.

Replacing of filthy fried chicken shops, shabby supermarkets and downbeat pubs by rather more savoury establishments is a positive for all current and prospective residents. Though I'm sure this would be construed by you as evidence of my painfully desperate social climbing faux snobbery, frankly, ED is fast becoming so very popular and successful exactly because it stands as an island set apart from its less than inspiring and desirable (not to mention less safe) immediate environs.

Standing ready to receive a vociferous response.

I think that it's a great shame that workers co-operatives such as Iceland with their unmistakeable villagey atmosphere are leaving the area, only to be replaced by robber barons of capitalism such as M&S. I love the Haight Ashbury vibe of the area, with so many bohemian people with flowers in their hair, sitting on bean bags and eating macrobiotic food. All those lovely communes and no bankers, advertising executives or corporate lawyers anywhere to be seen.

In case anyone else is confused, Iceland is not and never has been a worker's cooperative, and it's been in more leveraged buyouts than M&S has prawn sandwiches.

Its founder and chairman was even charged with insider trading after offloading masses of shares before declaring a profits warning.

One time CEO of Iceland Stuart Rose only stepped down a year ago from Chairman of... M&S!

Very droll Zeb, a most impressive whimsical take on Guardianesque prose.

In short, why do people insist on resisting geo-social advancements where they are so clearly and unmistakeably positive. My answer, jealously (where the root of that 'I'm so hard dun my gov' attitude, stems from a belief the state should have done more to help, rather than the individual).

I hear the Tooting Popular Front are still recruiting should you need to vent further, and fruitlessly, with fellow comrades.

Cue, D grade A Level Politics type responses.

(Squirrel, a shame indeed, I agree)

And yes, this post too, I would absolutely class as...'very droll'.