Fined ?75 for dropping a cigar butt - fair?

seanmlow

Just had to go down Rye Lane and then up Lordship Lane.

Saw two sets of two Community Wardens doing their thing up both Lanes.

Now stop whinging about what you think they should be doing on HERE, where they can't defend themselves whilst they're out there,

and get out and see them and talk to them and tell them what you would like to see them doing.

Phone numbers are around somewhere including Southwark's website, where you can contact them and tell them and/or their managers where the trouble spots are.

Just doing my best here!

great thread seanmlow!

back to the original point - ?75 nicker is way too much.

I'm amazed by the levels of piety by some posters on this forum - these are truly Jello Biafra's 'suede denim secret police'. Presumably they never ever break the law - breach copyright on the photocopier, tape or bootleg music, tax-dodge, cross the road in the wrong place in the clean-streeted USA, cycle the wrong way up 1-way streets en route to quiet Sunday morning shifts, or breach any of the many other silly little nitpicking cash-raising regulations that spoil life. ;-)

I believe I posted much the same thing just today Oglandia when I said "we are all criminals"

The difference here is that most of us are able to hold our hands up if caught - ?75 for the fine is a lot, but as I've asked several times - what would anyone do instead to curb litter?

It's a direct question but people seem happier to resort to petty insult-calling - although "Jello Biafra's 'suede denim secret police'." has something of wit about it, it's still a diversionary thing

It is along the same lines of nearly ALL FPNs i.e. ?75 "on the spot fine" & if paid within 10 days it reduces to ?50. I unfortunately got a TfL FPN for being in the box junction by Peckham bus depot.... similar thing ?120 fine but if paid within 10 days it reduced to ?60. So there is your discrepency in the amount sorted.

As for patrolling in pairs, the Community Wardens are on the streets between the hours of 9am - 10pm, 5 days per week & for safety, the wide extent of the role & for evidence & backup purpose MUST patrol in pairs.

Community Wardens work very closely with local schools, businesses, residents & the Police. I know for a fact that in Bermondsey they provide high vis patrols EVERY day when the schools kick out & sometimes with limited staff covering 3 main high schools over a large area it is not as easy as it seems & takes more than a dimwitted not very bright individual to provide reassurance patrols at & around the schools, not to mention all the MANY other things they do which do incidentally include, FPNs for ALL littering & dog fouling NOT just cigarette butts, reporting environmental issues such as faulty lighting, broken pavements, overgrown trees etc....

gerry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sean

>

> Just saw this thread now, and yes, I agree, its

> not nice being fined for something so trivial when

> school kids and adults are mugged every day in

> East Dulwich and nothing happens to prevent

> that!!! The council just wants to make money,

> forget about protecting young people and adults

> trying to walk home from school or get off a bus.

> There's my rant in defense of you.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I believe I posted much the same thing just today

> Oglandia when I said "we are all criminals"

>

> The difference here is that most of us are able to

> hold our hands up if caught - ?75 for the fine is

> a lot, but as I've asked several times - what

> would anyone do instead to curb litter?

>

> It's a direct question but people seem happier to

> resort to petty insult-calling - although "Jello

> Biafra's 'suede denim secret police'." has

> something of wit about it, it's still a

> diversionary thing

too much to do in 'meat space' to really get onto this on your scale SeanMcG (are you offline often enough to even see the litter?) but the answer is there if you want to see it - the originator of the topic accepts that a fine is ok but understandably bitches the amount. so how about a warning / escalation (i.e.lower fine) approach for those prepared to listen and not abuse the red anorakers?

10 quid? it has an equal evidence base (zero) to 75 quid and is fairer