Do You Know Anyone Who Has Been Mugged Recently?

gerry

The other point to make is that we are (almost certainly) all criminals in one for or other? Maybe not violent criminals but criminals all the same (with apologies to people who have never copied a CD, taken anything stringer than Fosters, exceeded a speed limit, thrown a cigar on the ground etc etc). So let's all be careful in any crime crackdown

Sean tell me this part of your post was tongue in cheek? If not,man people worry too much about the wrong stuff.

There is more to crime than being mugged by crackheads.

Crime is also a company paying an accountant two thousand pounds to make sure they get out of paying, say, three thousand pounds worth of tax. Doesn't hurt as much though.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

gerry Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I agree Sean. Certain elements of kids are

> growing up with little or no regard to others, and

> that is where I would like to see a crime

> crackdown...

Oh Seany, liberal middleclass guilt ridden twaddle "we are all criminals" no we are not.......i Give up when there's this kind of justification for crime that somehow links terryfying, sometimes life altering, extremley frightning and often violent and occasionally fatal attacks on entirely innocent people and Seany knicking a few paper clips from the Stationery cupboard are the same... THEY ARE NOT. God rid the world of Guardian reading idiots purlease

ahhh - how long before the name calling became personal eh?

You know full well that I'm not equating violent muggers with people who copy cd's or whatever. And as falcao has already pointed out I didn't exactly phrase what I wanted to say very well the first time - but thanks anyway for ignoring that just to take a cheap shot

Apart from taking pot-shots have you anything constructive to add to the discussion?

oh yeah - I meant to clarify what I DID mean when I said "we are all criminals" - well, as I say, it's not me equating us with psychopaths but between that extreme and "stealing paper clips" (quids words, not mine) there is a whole raft of criminal activity. And it's who does the classifying and what power they have that scares me

I'm guessing from some posters that because we live in such a dangerous world (not like in days gone by apparently) SOMETHING should be done - even tho' no-one is coming out and saying what that is. And again I'm just guessing - it would be something like give more powers to X and Y and let them get on with it. But is it a stretch of the imagination to see the examples I gave getting caught up in the net. Look at the extreme lengths the recording industry has gone to to prosecute download sites

for example

which seems a little harsh for little more than stealing paper clips...

But if anyone accuses me of "justifying crime" again.......

I have never been mugged as am adult. Mrs Keef was asked for her money by a group of teenaged girls in ED a couple of years ago, and told them all to f**k off, and they did as they were told. As a teenager I was asked for my money a few times around ED, but never gave it up and was never physically attacked. Had one fight on the streets of ED when I was about 14, other than that, all pretty uneventful in terms of violent crime.

kids now want portable comsumer goods to make them look cool, they will mug other kids to get these and adults too. they know that ?300 quid phone you are loudly talking into will get them a month or two extra respeckt amongest their peers - the fac that they have fallen for this hype by the advertisers and marketers is closely related - kids are a huge market for the manufacturers of such tat as we all know

ED is awash with people employed in marketing / advertising / creatives... blah blah blah

are these kidz the frankenstiens monsters of these industries ?

reap / sow scenario ?

Hmmmmmmm

Not been here a year yet. No muggings yet. Only problem I've had was some tipsy idiot on the bus who wanted to take a vodka bottle upside my head.

The way some of my coworkers talk you would think that south of the river is like something out of Mad Max. They seem to think I should be getting mugged on a weekly basis!

The blame it on "marketing" "white Collar crime" "society" "policy" in fact anyone but the criminal themselves argument is of course a gross insult to the vast MAJORITY of deprived, poor, poorly opportunitied, people WHO DONT COMMIT such crimes and are far more likely to be victims of it than the rest of us.....stop excusing outrageous disgusting and anti-social behaviour solely 'on society'.......