Do You Know Anyone Who Has Been Mugged Recently?

gerry

I've lived in ED for sixteen years on and off.

Only incident I know of personally round here was in the mid-nineties when a pizza deliverer was mugged outside my house by two guys.

What upset him most was that one of them pulled a medallion from his neck, which had sentimental value.

We took him into our house, but the police took ages to come, by which time the muggers had long, long gone.

I've had my purse stolen twice, and each time was due to my own stupidity in having it in an open bag. I now always keep it either in an internal zipped pocket or if the bag doesn't have one, I put it in a carrier bag inside the handbag so it isn't obviously a purse.

Lived in ED for over 30 years never been "Mugged". But please let's stop "Pussy Footing Around" Let's say it as it is "ROBBERY WITH VIOLENCE OR THE THREAT OF VIOLENCE. Mugging gives the impression it is the fault of the victim, which of course it is not.

Proposal for Goose Green, erection of the stocks with those convicted of ROBBERY WITH VIOLENCE or the threat of, locked in the stocks for 24 hours, so the "Good Folk" of East Dulwich i.e members of the ED Forum, could pelt them with whatever garbage they cared to throw.

Why not let's just bring back hanging and flogging while we're at it.

And dispense with a trial.

In fact let's just hang anybody we think might become a robber in the future.

Or hey, let's just hang anyone we don't like the look of, that would make the world a far far better place

:))

Hi- joined up to the forum as about to move into the area...one of the things that attracted me to the ED area was the feeling of safety (gathered from walks in the area & experiences of friends who live there).

One of the main reasons for wanting to move away from my current area - Dalston - (edges of hackney) is the lack of this apparent safety...feels very much on the edges of gangland. I know 3 business men - mid 30's in suits (including my husband) who have got mugged walking home from work and these all took place 5 min from their respective homes. They are all tall or broad men - but look like they perhaps have a bit of money on them (from the suit) so have been picked on either by a gang or a large individual. In each case i was told that youths gathered to watch the mugging and just looked on and jeered...just awful...my husband came home with his suit in strips...his pockets had been torn from him as he had stood his ground and neither fought back nor given up his wallet. (in the end the man gave up after kicking my husband to the ground) .

So this was (one of the) impetus to get out of the area...into a safer place. It is worrying that ED sounds like it has its share of this trouble...but I expect all of london has...especially where wealthier neighbourhoods border poorer ones..the demographic tensions build up. Hopefully we will have an easier time of it when we move to the area...fingers crossed!

ps- good idea about the fake wallet....my husband took out all but the necessities from his wallet should it get taken from him..but a fake wallet is even better!

Please don't worry about moving here, it is a very safe area.

Anywhere in the world you go there will always be a few people who have had a bad experience.

I have never felt unsafe in East Dulwich, and I quite often used to come home very late on public transport by myself.

Edited to say: But just like anywhere else, you need to be aware of what's going on around you, and avoid situations/people which you have a bad gut feeling about, eg by crossing the road

• 5 months later...
I got mugged in the dark backstreets of Brixton (SW East Dulwich?) on Aug. 20. The guy seemed a bit nervous, but also threatened to stab me so I gave him the ?25 in my pocket. Didn't get my phone or wallet. Now avoiding dark Brixton backstreets near midnight, suggest the same for others.

I have been spat at and shat at but never mugged. A hoodie tried to grab my phone as I was walking & talking on one of those streets behind the Police Station, can't remember the exact one, but I find it's a bit dodgy around there...especially at night, not AS safe as the main drag, but that's understandable I suppose. About a year or so ago, there were a few of those Police Signs around the place, one for sexual assault on Barry Road area and another one for robbery etc... lately it seems quiet enough, although I think the copperz are not putting those signs out anymore, I heard that through the grapevine...

Guy asked for money as I walked out of Peckham Rye train station - being drunk I pulled some change out of my pocket and considered giving him 50p. He grabbed about 2 quid, muttered something about Stoneybridge (sp) and walked off.

Don't count it as a mugging though (maybe aggressive begging) and never take money from your pockets - I know that :)

I was once (a few years ago!) walking past the leisure centre on a chilly november night and was accosted by four young mooks (1 male and 3 female) who surrounded me and aggressively wanted to know the time.

When I guessed at 8.30, they demanded accuracy off my mobile phone which I claimed not to have, and then demanded to see my watch, which again I denied having (although trust me, they wouldn't have wanted it!).

This apparently flummoxed them and they stamped off up the street with the girls pushing the bloke around for not displaying sufficient machismo.

That's about as dangerous as ED ever got for me! Although I don't know if the reduced likelihood of a gang bang later that evening persuaded him to up the stakes next time around....

• 1 year later...

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh Seany, liberal middleclass guilt ridden twaddle

> "we are all criminals" no we are not.......i Give

> up when there's this kind of justification for

> crime that somehow links terryfying, sometimes

> life altering, extremley frightning and often

> violent and occasionally fatal attacks on entirely

> innocent people and Seany knicking a few paper

> clips from the Stationery cupboard are the same...

> THEY ARE NOT. God rid the world of Guardian

> reading idiots purlease

Any takers?