Do You Know Anyone Who Has Been Mugged Recently?

gerry

Lived in SE5 and SE22 for 20+ years, generally 'hung' with people who would be prime targets as they have a habit of staggering around pissed late at night (especially in SE5).....know 2 people in all that time, one very unpleasant hospitilisation the other a stressfull but non violent bag snatch

Lived in ED on and off since 2000. Haven't been mugged yet *gives quick bow to Mockney's gods of jinx*

Have been flashed at 4 or 5 times, but only flashing nothing else and only one of those times in London.

Oh, and pick-pocketed once at Elephant & Castle tube.

Had no trouble for the few years I have been here in ED.

Lived in Brixton and only had one run in with a group of around 20 x 13-16 year olds looking for trouble rather than actually mugging. I feel I had a lucky escape there. I never felt unsafe in Brixton but somehow more comfortable in East Dulwich. There are far worse areas in London.

Only time I was ever mugged was in Croydon at age of 13ish....

I don't know of anyone having been mugged in ED....

annaj Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have been flashed at 4 or 5 times, but only

> flashing nothing else and only one of those times

> in London.

Flashed at four or five times?! That's good going. You must be well flashable, innit?

When I have lived in places like South Acton, Harlesden and Ladbroke Grove virtually all mugging victims tended to be girls and elderly women and it was pretty common that they'd fall victim at least twice. East Dulwich seems to me to be generally very, very safe.

The only people round here that I know of that have been mugged tend to be school children that have been targeted in West Dulwich because of their school uniform in the hope they'd be rich pickings. Most incidents were at the station or bus stops. Since the police upped their presence over a year ago I think things calmed down, but you're never going to eliminate it completely whilst there's a good chance that kids carry expensive phones, IPOD's etc.

I've noticed many yellow boards over the years around the Barry Rd, Underhill Rd, Friern Rd area which involved guns and knives but not personally known any of the victims.

I once bought a vegetable peeler in Green Cuisine. I guess technically I was mugged.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> annaj Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Have been flashed at 4 or 5 times, but only

> > flashing nothing else and only one of those

> times

> > in London.

>

> Flashed at four or five times?! That's good going.

> You must be well flashable, innit?

Oh, *Bob* you smooth talking charmer!

It is a bit weird.

It mostly happened in Germany when I was a student and I got the impression it was more common there.

Sorry about you friend darcy, but good to hear that most people have not had any trouble.

A gang of six teenagers tried to mug me on an almost deserted train out of East Dulwich. Very stupidly, I didn't give them anything, and they moved on to the only other people in the carriage, battering a young woman about the head and nicking her bag as the train pulled in to the next station.

About a year later, I recognised the face of one of the gang - on the front page of the Evening Standard. He'd been locked up for a few years for being part of a "steaming gang".

A couple of years after that, I saw him on the front of the Standard again. He'd been sent down for killing Damilola Taylor.

To date I have had my purse stolen twice - both without my knowledge. Once my bag was on the floor of the cinema and they must have opened my bag by lying on the floor behind me and took the purse without me noticing until the lights came up! I was attacked by a man nearly 3 years ago in East Dulwich but I ran away before he could steal anything. Left with a nasty bruised shoulder - couldn't pick him out of the pics at the police statin though.

i,ve been mugged twice once on champion hill circa 1994 and once on grove vale outside the train station about 96/97, i also stopped a young kid being mugged on east dulwich rd in 98 when i was coming back from a hurling match, but as i had had a few pints of plain and was carrying my stick it was no contest really.

no probs since.

I've lived in London for 7 years and (touch wood) have never had any problems. Mr Pickle was mugged at gunpoint when he lived in Battersea, lost his wallet & phone but thankfully was fine. Police managed to catch the guys responsible as they'd carried out a string of muggings that night and were identified in a line up.

Flong - that's terrible! Just goes to show how these kids progress from bag snatching to much much worse.

My husband and I were mugged on Crystal Palace Rd 4 years ago. Thought he had a knife but it turned out to be a screwdriver, which he stubbed my husband in the face with, thankfully wasnt too bad just a kind of scrape really although a bit of blood and very scary at the time. I gave him my wallet then and he ran away.

Was mugged coming out of Honor Oak Park station 3 years ago. 3 blokes jumped on me from behind, I was kicked and jumped on and had my bag nicked. They also took my shoes and coat - nice!!!!

People around stopped and helped, police came within 10 mins I think. Initially the police seemed really helpful, even drove me to Tooting so I could stay with a friend. They said they would put up yellow notice boards etc etc and I went to Lewisham police station (largest police station in Europe, apparently, and worringly) but I couldn't identify any of them. Despite the b***ards using my debit cards online and in phone boxes (it was my bank who rang to tell me) the police sent me a letter saying no further action could be taken ... v distressing experience.

im nearly 16,

im small and travell all the way to fulham to get to school,

ive never been approached or mugged not sure why (maybe because i look like im in year 7 and not 11)

but touchwood it will stay that way

although ive been pickpocketed in east lane market but that was about 4-5 years ago :D

Well, having started the thread, I guess its my turn to list all that I know about...my friend's son had his bike stolen from under him coming home from school in October, ohter friend's son mugged at West Dulwich Station, my son was mugged cominghome from school but fought him off, so the gang mugged his friend instead, neighbour mugged coming home from work, another mugged on Townley for phone and watch, other boy mugged at knifepoint on Calton Avenue coming out of school,another mugged at bus stop waiting to come home, another mugged coming off train at East Dulwich, I was taking a group of kids to the ENO, gang started rifling their pockets on the train, son was mugged on train for phone....should I go on???? I wish I was making this up.

gerry that's awful. hope everyone's ok.

We've been down here 12 years with little hassle but sh!t can happen any time. A close friend had her pram kicked over and a guy sticking his hand in her face like he wanted to rip her cheek off in Nunhead Cemetery back in 03. The baby screaming brought her round out of the trance and she fought him off. She is a remarkable woman in every way. She saw him in E Dulwich and Peckham but gave up ringing the cops after being advised to tail him (with baby - yeah right). Then she saw him going into his parents' house 15 or so doors up from hers and she made the call. The cops finally got involved and she had good support in the trial. It was his word vs hers - they believed her. Turned out he was on parole for rape. He got 4 years (out in 2). She sold up in a hurry and moved house 200 miles away never to return.

Oglandia, they have all managed to live with it and normalise it, which is sad. That is the legacy we have passed on to our kids....make mugging feel normal. But thanks for asking. I think your story is far worse, especially for a mother trying to protect her baby.....I am glad he got caught and she moved on. Does she still think about it?

It's a shame to hear about those incidents you listed in those areas Gerry (and of your friend Oglandia) and I hope everyone's OK. I may be wrong but surely making kids think mugging a normality is one of the worse things we can do, they should be made aware that it's wrong and should be acted upon, it's up to us as adults to help educate them on what the actions are, be they preventative, during or after the event.

I'm guessing your original question came from me questioning your statement yesterday "school kids and adults are mugged every day in East Dulwich". Personally I have a dislike for statements that I see as scaremongering and false. Admittedly you seem to have connections to a greater number of people than most who have been mugged so it is something you feel strongly about and I'm just trying to redress the balance. Please don't think I don't live in an lovely rose tinted ivory tower, I've had a loaded sawn-off shotgun shoved in my stomach, been standing next to my friend when he was shot by a drug dealer, been in my local pub when there was a machete and gun attack and I also have friends who have been mugged (one of whom even poohed his pants). None of these were in East Dulwich.

As I see it the best thing do is help people be prepared and support them. You've probably noticed that I've been banding around the East Dulwich Safer Neighbourhood Team Telephone number: 020 8721 2447. I've recently discovered that they're the people to call when you're not feeling safe but it's not something you want to call the Police about, like if you feel threatened by someone or a group. East Dulwich is a relatively safe place going from my experience and the experience of most on this thread and I believe it's better for people to feel safe (but aware) than scared which is why I reacted to your statement.